General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I Suck At Working On My Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Suck At Working On My Car

I started a window motor replacement job on my car last saturday and after 3 hours of working on it I called it quits.

Tried to work on it throughout the week and screwed up my wiring and lost all kinds of screws.

Went out there today at 2:30 and I'm just now getting in the house. The new motor is in but it works like sh*t, there is a hand mirror still inside the door( I forgot to take the damn thing out) my door is all screwed up because some of the plastic tabs broke, and I'm missing 3 screws in vital places. I also broke 3 drill bits trying to get the rivets out.

I'm taking this goddamn thing to the body shop and letting them deal with it. I'm fed up with tearing up sh*t because I suck at it.

/rant
Old 08-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you got money to spend go for it, us poor folks have to deal with it, but I feel ya pain, I'm gonna have to open the intake to replace two sensors and a harness, it needed to be done six months ago
Old 08-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Launching!

when I put my door panel on after replacing the window motor, every time I got one side in the other would pop right out...was a lot easier with two people
Old 08-15-2009, 05:41 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

My 2000 'bird caught fire in my garage while I was trying to get the pcm to learn the cam I'd just installed. Don't let it get you down...just wait until you've cooled down and try again.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stay with it man. The first time I did one I itched for a week! Lots of bad language too. The thing is the next time you do it it will be a lot easier and you will learn a few new tricks to get it done faster. I have done so many times now it is like an art. Almost look forward to it. Yikes don't quote me on that i'll deny it.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's why i'm glad to have a brother who has had many f-body's. When i can't figure something out....his phone rings. haha
Old 08-15-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mr CHI
I started a window motor replacement job on my car last saturday and after 3 hours of working on it I called it quits.

Tried to work on it throughout the week and screwed up my wiring and lost all kinds of screws.

Went out there today at 2:30 and I'm just now getting in the house. The new motor is in but it works like sh*t, there is a hand mirror still inside the door( I forgot to take the damn thing out) my door is all screwed up because some of the plastic tabs broke, and I'm missing 3 screws in vital places. I also broke 3 drill bits trying to get the rivets out.

I'm taking this goddamn thing to the body shop and letting them deal with it. I'm fed up with tearing up sh*t because I suck at it.

/rant
i always mark the slides and adjusters with a sharpie around the nuts,and i always use a side grinder to grind off the rivet heads.hope this helps you if you do it again.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Smart words. Oh and use a shop vac if you don't like to itch.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I ddint think the replacement was that bad, just with trying to fit everything in there and not beinble to see whats going on. The thing that pissed me off the most was not having mounting hardware included. I went back to the AZ and they gave me some nuts and bolts free so that was cool. I tack welded the bolts thru the regulator so I could just put the nuts on the outside, made it snag and tight trying to slip the reg back into the door but much easier mounting.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did mine last week, it wasn't all that bad. But this is the third time
The rivets were the hardest part the first time. After that, its cake....ish.....
Old 08-16-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, mine took a while too. I only lost one of the main door panel screws and broke one small plastic tab for one of the panels, but nothing that effected the placement or fit of the door panel. It can be frustrating but it feels good once you're finished lol. When I get upset at the car, I just think of all the money I'm saving by doing it myself, because I def cannot afford to let somebody else do it. If you think the window motor is bad, just wait til you need plugs and wires
Old 08-16-2009, 08:36 PM

I just replaced mine last weekend. Wasn't too bad. I just bought the car about 2 months ago and the kid obviously replaced it once before. Looked like he took a chainsaw to the inside of the door. And now my door lock switch panel doesn't sit flat anymore. I feel your pain brother. Just have to be patient.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that unless it's an oil change/tire rotation, it's going to the shop.

Props to all you guys that do it yourself!

To me, It's just not worth the headache or the paranoia that I may mess up something vital.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

We learn from our mistakes!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Took me about 4 hours by myself... but i got it done and now I know exactly what to do and where to drill
Old 08-16-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
My 2000 'bird caught fire in my garage while I was trying to get the pcm to learn the cam I'd just installed. Don't let it get you down...just wait until you've cooled down and try again.

haha nice, but im sure lots of people catch on fire
Old 08-16-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

everyone makes mistake, but hopefully your learn from them.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chadaclysm
If you think the window motor is bad, just wait til you need plugs and wires
That was the worst experience of my life. I got the drivers side fine, the front on the pass side oook. Then the final two, no way. I ended up getting so frustrated I took it to a local shop and had them just install the last two plugs/wires. Best $20 ever spent lol
Old 08-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
My 2000 'bird caught fire in my garage.......

just wait until you've cooled down and try again.

That post is funny on a few different levels. What if I don't catch fire? Do I still have to wait?

Old 08-16-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

The window motor was a ******* bitch and a half.... never again. Plugs and wires any ******* day over the window motor. My **** looked like someone tried to grind the rivets off with a chainshaw.