General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: I will stay N.A because
(Money) I simply can't afford F.I. It's too much money.
46.88%
(Simplicity) I like to keep things simple & reliable. Less problems, ect...
25.00%
(Fear of N2O) I dont like N2O/afraid of what could go wrong ect...
5.47%
(Pride) I don't need no boost to go fast. N.A. is the way to do it/The way it should be.
22.66%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Why did you choose to stay N/A?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

money!
i planned out my forced induction route back when i was making about 1/3-1/4th of what i'm making now, but it seems like as soon as the money was available, my priorities became more clear than ever.
i'm still slowly heading in that direction and use nitrous in the meantime.
i've got 42lb injectors. next step is heads and a blower cam. thing is, i'm considering higher compression 5.3 heads and forgetting about the supercharger since i'm doubting i will ever be able to justify it given that i value streetability more these days.
if someone droppeed $50k in my lap, i'd probably have a dozen other uses for it before supercharging my camaro ever came to mind. a few years ago, i'd have it ordered before the money was in hand.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28mccrory
Uh... what?
at 5800 feet, big displacement NA cars limp around gasping for air while little turbo cars run circles around them.

the air is so thin at that altitude you could run (little exaggeration) 15:1 compression with 40 degrees of timing on 85 octane.

in all seriousness, when i was in colorado last month i ran into a guy with an evo who ran 30lbs of boost on e85 with stock internals(?) and turbo. you almost have to go with forced induction at that altitude.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
at 5800 feet, big displacement NA cars limp around gasping for air while little turbo cars run circles around them.

the air is so thin at that altitude you could run (little exaggeration) 15:1 compression with 40 degrees of timing on 85 octane.

in all seriousness, when i was in colorado last month i ran into a guy with an evo who ran 30lbs of boost on e85 with stock internals(?) and turbo. you almost have to go with forced induction at that altitude.
Ok but i still dont get what he was trying to say. It sounds like he is trying to say that at sea level, and turbo car isn't much of an advantage over a NA car.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28mccrory
Ok but i still dont get what he was trying to say. It sounds like he is trying to say that at sea level, and turbo car isn't much of an advantage over a NA car.
Hes saying that N/A cars are more venerable to the change in air density. So at a low altitude, if a N/A car and a FI car run the same times... with a change of altitude the FI car would lose less time then the N/A car, therefore the FI would be faster.

So if a N/A and a FI race at high elevation and are even, at low elevation the N/A would be faster.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I chose FI because i like everything about it... but also because its cheaper for higher horsepower.

How much would it cost to build a N/A car that is 600 or 700hp? Your talkin about building a large displacement $15-20k motor.

Now if your goal is 450-500hp its pretty easy w/ a stock block and makes sense to do N/A, but the cost gets exponentially more expensive with minimal hp gains.

The beginning of FI is very very frustrating. Getting everything running together and getting all the kinks out is very very tough. Its more draining mentally then anything else, because everytime something gets fix something else goes wrong. And many many people quit here. Eventually everything gets worked out... about the time you know every inch of the car... and its COMPLETELY worth it.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted money, but it's about 70% money, 20% not liking nitrous, and 10% that I think it's badass to have an all motor car. I could have already put nitrous on the car, but I don't like the idea of refilling bottles, worrying about bottle pressure, etc. If I had the money, though, I'd have put a blower or turbo on the car a long time ago.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dependability, I've pulled my 2jzgte engine in favor of an LS1 2001 SS engine.
I had a low mi jdm engine, I was constantly chasing down issues and rarley enjoying a daily ride that could haul butt.
The turbos were fun, but I want a car that I can put together and than drive, with only oil changes and tune ups.....
Now if you have the "Hook up" resources and an endless wallet and some one who can tune the engine/FI combo so it won't self detonate, and if all the little fragile pieces that keep this turbo engine running don't fail and destroy your engine, than and only than can your really enjoy a turbo driven engine.
BTW, chasing parts was a pita for the 2j, at least the LS1 has a lot of easily obtained parts, and that wonderful thing called displacement.
The LS1/2 rules for under ~600hp, after that it might not be a bad idea to use FI.
JMHO, I'm not a mechanic and I value dependability along with my tiring roasting fun.
Good luck on your journey!
B
Old 08-21-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brian g, Don't let the guys on the Supra forums hear you say that!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Money and modding a boosted car never ends.
When I built my grand prix it was a never ending build.
First was the turbo, then the intercooler and bigger injectors.
Then the tranny went boom. So I bought a built tranny.
Then I wanted more power. So I got a stage 2 turbo cam from zzp and zzp stage 2 heads. Boost went up to 22 psi on a tune!! Then I needed much better tires. It just goes on and on. To much money in the end. But I had one hell of a fast grocery getter!!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

if i wanted to get f/i id be lookin at mustangs not ls1s :p jk the reason i wont go f/i is cuz my power goals arent high enough to warrant it
Old 08-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

you almost have to go with forced induction at that altitude.
Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Hes saying that N/A cars are more venerable to the change in air density. So at a low altitude, if a N/A car and a FI car run the same times... with a change of altitude the FI car would lose less time then the N/A car, therefore the FI would be faster.
So if a N/A and a FI race at high elevation and are even, at low elevation the N/A would be faster.
^This.
I suck at explaining.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Yup yup....

I am VERY proud of getting 11's here out of my street car.
NEVER had a DA under 7900.

Now to sniff 11.5x....
Old 08-22-2009, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

I'm broke. Plan on spraying when I can, but would bolt on a Procharger if money grew on trees.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Money still #1
Nobody for fear of N2O......
Old 08-23-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

money!
i planned out my forced induction route back when i was making about 1/3-1/4th of what i'm making now, but it seems like as soon as the money was available, my priorities became more clear than ever.
i'm still slowly heading in that direction and use nitrous in the meantime.
i've got 42lb injectors. next step is heads and a blower cam. thing is, i'm considering higher compression 5.3 heads and forgetting about the supercharger since i'm doubting i will ever be able to justify it given that i value streetability more these days.
if someone droppeed $50k in my lap, i'd probably have a dozen other uses for it before supercharging my camaro ever came to mind. a few years ago, i'd have it ordered before the money was in hand.

Ummm.... A S/C cam will be much milder and have better manners than a all out H/C setup that would make good power.....

I saw a stock procharged 6.0 GTO make nearly 500 rwhp with nothing but the PC. 9 psi is all.....Well yea he had a nice exhaust too.

Last edited by SOMbitch; 08-23-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Banned

I would agree with most of what others have said. Between cost of *properly* setting up a nitrous or FI kit, and the additional risks I've chosen to stay NA
Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xxrillixx

So the density of the air doesn't affect the turbo car then at sea level then?

All you are going to get is a closer race....the FI car would just cram in denser air and make even MORE power. It's only because you CAN pressurize the air at high altitude that allows a serious advantage.

Once you take that away and all things are equal, if you are moving more air; you are making more power. PERIOD.

I like the simplicity of n/a, but in the end; its $. There is nothing more fun than a power adder car done well.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I voted simplicity as it would be harder to work on the car with FI under the hood, also I feel my car is plenty fast enough for what I do with it. I would like to try some nitrous but afraid of what could go wrong. I would say money is a very big factor in going FI. Its not just the cost of the turbo or blower kit, everything in the drivetrain has to be upgraded & thats where it really starts to add up. A local guy had his GTP upgraded with a nice intercooled turbo kit. Having that done & the tranny beefed up cost was around 10K, more than the car is worth. FI is a blast but its not cheap.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I voted simplicity but I'll also add that the weight over the front end is a big disdavantage to me. If i can make my power goals without having to add 100lbs to the front end then its a no brainer to me. I'm more of a handling guy so I guess I care about it more than all of the drag racers on here but it's an important issue with most types of FI to me (N2O and rear mount turbos exempt, obviously).
Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

NOS is a no way for me. Turbo and supercharger are too much. Heads and cam is the way to go

Quick Reply: Why did you choose to stay N/A?