General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New to the site, a couple questions though

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the site, a couple questions though

Hey guys, I'm new to the site, but not really to f-bodies. I'm in my 2nd one now. I have a 1997 Camaro RS. It originally was a 3.8 but I just swapped in an LT1 from a 94 Trans Am. I guess my first question I suppose is do you think it would be possible to put a 4th gen Trans Am hood on mine? I obviously know that the headlight cut-outs would need some attention....but what do you guys think it would take to make it work?

Any help is appreciated in this, I think that it would look pretty cool imo.

Thanks Guys!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO they make a ws6 type camaro hood but i think it is fugly. a regular trans am hood will not work
Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy the front end parts that are needed to do the swap and convert it to an ls1 front end..

or you can go with the lt1 ws6 hood.. i dont think it looks bad at all.. if you do this i would suggest ls1 honeycomb tail lights also..
Old 08-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Default swap

I think you guys misunderstood what he was saying. He has a 97 camaro rs not a trans am. He took a trans am lt1 motor and put it in his camaro. As far as i know you could do it but would be alot of modifications too your 97 too make it look like a 98. I think you would have more money than it would be worth i would just sell yours and get a 98-02 camaro with a ls1 you would be alot more happier with it. just my opinion hope this helps thanks, ramair1999@hotmail.com
Old 08-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Yeah, I was actually looking at some stuff last night and added it up and decided before I put in all that work, I would rather just spend the money on an LS1 car instead of an LT1. Don't get me wrong...I love my car, especially because of the work and time I've already put into it....But I think productively it would be better to get the more efficient car before I drop more money into this one.

I just saw a camaro at a junkyard with a firebird hood sitting on it and thought it looked cool anyway. Lol
Old 08-27-2009, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

eh, i dunno about looking cool. kinda trashy to be but to each his own. so are you buying an ls1 car now, or swapping one in?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:39 PM

Lol I just liked it because it's different.

I am trying to decide. I know of a wrecked ZO6 with an ls6 in it that I could buy as a donor car...but I'm not sure if I have the patience for another swap right away. :\ I just dropped $1500 on my transmission this week. But I really would love to do that swap soon. I haven't seen many with that particular drive line.