General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Truck or more parts and hope for the best??
4x4
82.35%
Performance parts
17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Advice please...winter dd or not!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx a lot for the advice.... Everyone has really been a good help. That's why I posted it. After reading, a beater has a lot of positives. I won't have to risk anything happening to the car and that's my most important goal!

To Everybody
Old 08-30-2009, 02:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
Unless you want a truck there are other options. I've lived in Colorado and the front wheel drive cars got around better then most 4x4.
Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Thats what I am sayin, I would never consider drivin my SS in the winter.

My cavalier does very well in the snow & of course gets great mileage. I wouldnt think you would need a 4X4 in Missouri, might get snow but not as much as we do here in Michigan. I guess it might depend on where you live too.
Originally Posted by 02ArcticZ
if not a truck deff get a beater i picked up a 91 accord 2 door 5 speed and with the money i was saving on gas not driving the camaro it helped for saving up for performance parts... now i have a cobalt for everyday why not consider a fwd 4 banger and save money on gas and get you through the rough weather...
Originally Posted by jrob56
i def say get the 4x4, im looking into getting a decent truck when i pay off the Z. for the last couple years though ive used my first car a 95 ford taurus and its been a beast in even our worst indiana winters. probably doesnt compare to some of your guys winters but it gets me where i want to go regardless of how bad it is!
I've heard FWD cars are great in bad weather also. I looked at a Grand am GT for dirt cheap, maybe I should have put up an offer...
Old 08-30-2009, 07:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ironxcross
i drove my car around last winter and my lt1 m6 before for two winters. On the 02 z28 i put some subframe connectors on last summer and it made driving in the snow last winter very easy. With the car far less likely to dart out to the side, it made it easy and more stable to control.

And they aren't that expensive. Consider some replacement bushings for the lcas, as well as some good winter tires.

You can't get paranoid, you just have to think about what you're doing.
just like the last line said above " think about what youre doing" get a fwd car, cheap jeep or truck from craigs list there will be some thing there.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

i'm going to go at this from a different direction as, when i lived in okiehoma, i really didn't have an issue with driving my 97 z28 in the snow and ice, HOWEVER, i always had to keep an eye on the other guy. too many people think 'hey, i've got a 4x4, that means i can stop faster' ummm.. no. so while you may be doing fine in that type of weather, doesn't mean the other guy is.

get the beater. FWD if you think there's only gonna be light stuff for the most part, 4x4 if you think you're going to see some deeper stuff on the ground.