General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Truck or more parts and hope for the best??
4x4
82.35%
Performance parts
17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Advice please...winter dd or not!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice please...winter dd or not!!

I have a Trans Am F-hawk as my daily driver and last winter was rough on it. I got caught in a snow storm and had to drive 25 mph for 30 miles. So now I'm paranoid . I need help on whether or not I should invest in a beater truck or invest that money in performance parts for the hawk and hope for the best.

Anybody that knows a little about these cars, know that they are not the best winter vehicles and the BFG KDWS all season tires were a joke. A 4x4 would lighten the load on the hawk and get through a rough winter. On the other hand, I can do full bolt-ons and more with the same money.

An 05 musstang gt was in the ditch on this curve that night.
Attached Thumbnails Advice please...winter dd or not!!-snow.jpg  
Old 08-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Staging Lane

If the weather is that big of an issue each year I would definitely consider a truck.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

It's usually not, but last year was the worst winter in Southeast Missouri in years.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got an '89 CRX for winter to save gas from my 10mpg V10 truck. It paid for itself in less than 6 months, kept miles off the Camaro, and gets 40mpg about every tank. It goes pretty good in the snow, but I get the truck out when things get real bad.

There are a lot of inexpensive old 4wd things around. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if you really need it. There are a lot of good snow tires around and they'd be a lot cheaper than a new truck, insurance, and maintenance.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

I'd buy a truck...road salt sucks!
Old 08-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

For what it's worth, I used to live in New England and all the F-body owners in my neighborhood ran on steel rims and blizzaks. They were fine in anything except deep snow - which you really should not be driving in except in a 4wd vehicle. Folks would swap out their wheels at the start/end of snow season.

If you are really concerned about snow, I would stay away from a beater pickup truck. The weight dsitribution is not great in snow storms - one of the reasons we used to see pickups spin out and off the roads. I would lean towards a 4wd Explorer or Blazer, which is what my second car in New England was (Explorer XLT). It did the job well, had clearance in the wheel wells for tire chains, and was reliable.

BTW, although I live in Western WA, last year we got dumped on several times so after a flat last month, I ended up getting the Michelin Pole Position M+S tires. They have been great in the rain and friends at work have raved about their RWD performance in light snow.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Default Low Road Salt Diet

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
I'd buy a truck...road salt sucks!
That's the fun part about WA, they only use sand because road salt harms salmon. Cars are skiding all over the road when it gets icy, but they do so with no underbody rust.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What good are all the mods if your car ends up in a ditch? Personally I'd buy a beater 4x4 and then mod later when the money allows. I'm going to disagree with the earlier poster who says that a 4x4 pickup will spin out easier than an suv. That may be true if both are in 2wd but if you're running it in 4wd, it won't spin out. I have a tundra and have no issues as long as I'm in 4wd. If not, then yes it's easy to spin out with the light rear end. Regardless, if you want equal weight distribution, throw some sandbags in the bed and you've accomplished the same thing.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Disciple
That's the fun part about WA, they only use sand because road salt harms salmon. Cars are skiding all over the road when it gets icy, but they do so with no underbody rust.
This is true! haha.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:43 PM

I say get a DD. No sense in risking F@cking up such a nice car!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless you want a truck there are other options. I've lived in Colorado and the front wheel drive cars got around better then most 4x4.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
I say get a DD. No sense in risking F@cking up such a nice car!
Thats what I am sayin, I would never consider drivin my SS in the winter.

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
Unless you want a truck there are other options. I've lived in Colorado and the front wheel drive cars got around better then most 4x4.
My cavalier does very well in the snow & of course gets great mileage. I wouldnt think you would need a 4X4 in Missouri, might get snow but not as much as we do here in Michigan. I guess it might depend on where you live too.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:15 AM
TECH Regular

ive driven mine daily the past three years through snow and all without a single trouble just get snow tires, all season tires dont compare to actual snow tires the compounds are so much softer in snow tires but all seasons on the other hand arent much different from your regular old passenger tires. i have two sets of wheels, i have the stockers with the snow tires on them and black c5z's for the summer it makes things really easy

these cars do very well with snow tires, as long as your not plowing the snow with the front end. i have never been stuck anywhere but my own driveway when the plow truck came by one morning, all my neighbors and their four wheel drive trucks were stuck also so i didn feel bad at all.
as long as you drive with some sense you will be great and avoid the ice doesn matter what your driving when you hit that

and as for the road salt i haven had a problem yet i just wash the car alot through the winter, no rust and the bottom side wasn even sealed up til this summer

count on gettin wierd looks from alot of ppl too wondering why you have that car out in the snow
Old 08-29-2009, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

you guys these are high performance cars we have not 4x4's put them in the garage if u live where there's snow & buy a damn truck for the winter. a $500 klunker is good enough to get u by then turn around and sell it in the spring. I live in ND & see these itdiots (no offense) tryin 2 drive v6 camaros & birds in 1/2 of snow and get stuck. u could put the knobbiest tires on with studs & that car is still going 2 suck in snow. BUY A TRUCK! if not a truck get a front wheel drive car they work good to

Last edited by rice8er; 08-29-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

if not a truck deff get a beater i picked up a 91 accord 2 door 5 speed and with the money i was saving on gas not driving the camaro it helped for saving up for performance parts... now i have a cobalt for everyday why not consider a fwd 4 banger and save money on gas and get you through the rough weather...
Old 08-29-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

i def say get the 4x4, im looking into getting a decent truck when i pay off the Z. for the last couple years though ive used my first car a 95 ford taurus and its been a beast in even our worst indiana winters. probably doesnt compare to some of your guys winters but it gets me where i want to go regardless of how bad it is!
Old 08-29-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlackHawk256
I have a Trans Am F-hawk as my daily driver and last winter was rough on it. I got caught in a snow storm and had to drive 25 mph for 30 miles. So now I'm paranoid . I need help on whether or not I should invest in a beater truck or invest that money in performance parts for the hawk and hope for the best.

Anybody that knows a little about these cars, know that they are not the best winter vehicles and the BFG KDWS all season tires were a joke. A 4x4 would lighten the load on the hawk and get through a rough winter. On the other hand, I can do full bolt-ons and more with the same money.

An 05 musstang gt was in the ditch on this curve that night.
Op,
you need to get proper snow tires- ie. Blizzak or snow chains, etc,
BFG KDWS are not winter snow tires.

or get yourself a vehicle that you can drive in the winter.

either way you decide to go, good luck

Bob's your uncle
Old 08-29-2009, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Look on Craigslist and find you a cheap Jeep Cherokee. They routinely go for less than a grand, are stupid simple to work on and hold up well to high mileage. For the cost of snow tires and tow bills, you could have a dedicated winter beater.

That's my plan.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

I drove my car around last winter and my LT1 m6 before for two winters. On the 02 Z28 I put some subframe connectors on last summer and it made driving in the snow last winter VERY easy. With the car far less likely to dart out to the side, it made it easy and more stable to control.

And they aren't that expensive. Consider some replacement bushings for the LCAs, as well as some good winter tires.

You can't get paranoid, you just have to think about what you're doing.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

As cheap as a beater is, why even risk it? You're going to end up blowing that mod money on winter specific **** and tow bills if you end up in a ditch. Consider this. After winter is over, you can always sell the beater and make that money back.