General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Shop putting in tranny accidently broke piece of block off, opinions needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Shop putting in tranny accidently broke piece of block off, opinions needed!

Not sure on where to put this so i'll put it here.. Story goes, been extremely busy lately so I decided to have a local shop that has been very good to me install my transmission into my 1999 turbo formula. During the installation a large portion of the rear of the block snapped off. I was told due to the accident they would replace the block and and take it in and out for free! Excellent right, well..it stopped there for me. So since it is a stock LS1 longblock we talked about building it and i got an estimate of around 3600 for parts only(over priced) no labor, machine work would have to be on me..I can not justify spending 3600 on a motor right now and passed. I ended up deciding I wanted the car back the way it came in not a cent over what I approved. The motor ran fantastic before it went in, boosting 5-6lbs it held up excellent oil came out clean nothing to worry about for me. They found a block from a 98 Camaro with bad cam bearings. One options is to have them replace everything over as is no machine work as they said the machine work would be on me, which I do not think is fair what do you think? or pay for over priced bearings/gaskets/seals/head bolts(since they are torqued to yeild) as they will not give me the parts for their price since the labor is already free. They also wants to charge me fluids! Other options is to let them transfer everything over and hope it does not break on me 15 miles down the road. Is this even fair or is this how it works when a shop accidentally breaks a part? The motor gave me no issues and I planned on building it next summer and funds are not available right this second so thats the reason i opt'd for keeping the motor as is. Question is, is it fair I would have to pay 800-1000+ to have my what was perfectly running motor "fixed" or should I be going further with this. Local opinions are I need to get a lawyer to have it fixed the proper way involved but I'm trying to be civil and see what I should do. The situation is stressing me out and I feel ripped. Let me know some opinions and sorry if there is any confusion I am just exhausted over the situation. Thanks!

Last edited by TripleWhite96; 09-24-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

shops do have insurance, i would imagine that there insurance should buy you a new block, thats my opinion
Old 09-24-2009, 12:29 AM
10 Second Club

They found and purchased a block for $200, its the rest of the work i'm wondering about mainly. The biggest thing being the machine work, or atleast cleaning and measurement of the block to make sure its in great shape before its even though of being used.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

There insurance should cover the parts to get it the way it came in. I realize that you said that the shop has been good to you but business is business. If you drive it 50 miles and it blows there not goin to cover it. I would make sure it gets fixed the right way. Dont let them half *** there way out of a mistake that was 110% there fault.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Contact the BBB they get stuff done plus its free. The last thing that business wants is a complaint with the BBB. In 05 my brothet had a bone stock 05 SRT4 15k miles he was driving one day and his car just died he had it towed to the dealership and long story short they voided his warranty after they cracked 2 pistons and he paid $3k somewhere else to fix it. The BBB got his $ back plus 5k from the dealership.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Tell them you want a NEW block, hardware, fluids and etc then transfer it over yourself. At least then you know it will be done right and not have to worry.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would make them make an insurance claim. you should have to pay only for the actual labor of the trans install and related parts. if it was me, i would not let the car leave there shop in that condition. how the hell does a piece of the block snap off??
i lost count how many trans and engines ive installed and on my back usually and to date never had any thing like that happen
they may try to use a the turbo system as a reason why the engine broke. may come out with some bs that the heat comprimised the structure of the block or some other bs.
i wouldnt let them give me some junk block and let me take care of the rest
f'that.
i would try to get them to drop in a running lq4 engine in place. if anything.
.02$
Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FireChickenws6
Tell them you want a NEW block, hardware, fluids and etc then transfer it over yourself. At least then you know it will be done right and not have to worry.
he obviuosly cant even install his own trans,i doubt he can assemble or has the correct tools to do so.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NemeSS
he obviuosly cant even install his own trans,i doubt he can assemble or has the correct tools to do so.
If I woke up in his shoes I'd tell the shop I wanted a new block, fluids, etc, and FOR THEM TO PAY a reputable performance shop to do the work. Obviously they can't even handle a transmission install, so I sure wouldnt trust them with a motor, much less a boosted one.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where did it break at? Pictures?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

I usually do my own work with assistance from friends. I was told over and over lets just do it ourselves. I could never make the time to dedicate to it and also had no room in the garage. Obviously regret it, for this I would have done it outside in the pouring rain. They got a block from another local lsx enthusiast. Lucky, they are sending the block to the machine shop for inspection, cleaning, fresh hone and new cam bearings installed which was told to them is needed. Anything after this I was told would be on my bill, including fluids. Fluids were just changed before being brought there. If I had the experience,tools and knowledge I would have picked it up and assembled the motor myself, but I don't. I'm trying to avoid legal action but I feel confused and taken advantage of. Trying to be civil with the shop as atleast they will remove, install, replace for free. Disturbed at the same time because I had no issues with this shortblock and now all the replacement parts are on me. As for a picture here you go.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

Now that I see that, I'm wondering if they pulled on it hard trying to get to the top bolts. I really hope they didn't damage the transmission!
Old 09-25-2009, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

They have to make you "whole" again. They should cover all costs involved due to their negligence. It should not cost you anything,besides the tranny install. I am sure there was no waiver signed exluding them from liabilty,like there is with a dyno tune. Make them pay for it all. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....somebody really screwed up to have that happen, good luck!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^Exactly.. how the **** did that happen..?

They should cover all expenses to make it right, and I would make them pay for someone else to do it since they are heckling you and they fucked it up.

Ironblock FTW!!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have fealt the same way as you do before, i had a street bike worked on by a local shop/dealership, they gave me 20% off on EVERYTHING due to the fact i have and my family have bought 6 bikes from them and had them do all the work. well i had a sprocket installed....front on on my zx6r....the moron in the shop impacted the sprocket on so hard it squeezed the cases together and killed the inner sprocket bearing and cracked the right side case....i was pissed they wanted to charge me labor....over 1200...for there **** up!!! after two months and a letter from a lawyer i had it fixed. they still to this day will not let me in that place but when i look back, if i didnt decide to sack flap them they would have taken me for 1200. the total was over 2900. DONT LET THEM BONE YOU!!! make them fix it and dont ever let them touch your car ever again!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just my two pennies. it looks like they might have forgot that bolt and started to lower the tranny and when it got loose from the jack they started jerking on it and **** and alum isnt as tuff as the steel casing for the trans. and as far as what you should do. contact the BBB a Lawyer and their insurance company. and go after them as hard as you can. they are trying to dick you over dont let them **** that.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleWhite96
Now that I see that, I'm wondering if they pulled on it hard trying to get to the top bolts. I really hope they didn't damage the transmission!
It looks like the dowel pin was stuck. The dowel pins almost always get stuck on these cars, which is a pain. But you have to try to get the engine/trans level to relive pressure off those dowels and then slowly pry off the transmission.

Now what I've seen a few shops do... is they use the weight of the transmission and rock it back and forth till it pops off... which puts stress on the block. Looks to be the same case here.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man that sucks, never seen anything like that either. You definitely shouldn't have to pay for anything as your car was fine before.

As for the dowel pin getting stuck, ya they do but if you don't try and do a quick half assed job it can be done. If you relieve the stress by jacking up the trans a tad, then just get a big screwdriver and pry it loose. Once you hear it pop it will slide right on out.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

from the pic it looks like the trans has been off before,not a stock torque converter & the trans is painted......so i dont know how stuck the pins could have been....looks like they missed a bolt.

i had a sponsor blow my 13000 mile motor up on the dyno after a cam swap,it spun a bearing. after negotiating for about a month they finally done the right thing & fixed it all & then some @ there cost of about $2200.......i was out of a car for 4 months but what can you do.....