General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Max RPM's on cold engine do you allow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always start my car in the morning and let it run till it hits 100 degree's or so then like evryone said keep the RMP's low intill operating temp.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Beating on your car with cold fluids is very hard on parts...pistons, trans, rear end, etc.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
I just wanted to see what the max RPM's people on here allow there LSX to go while the engine and oil are cold. In my firebird which as the 3800 series II engine. I don't care at all, I rev that bitch up to 6k rpms over and over again on a cold engine and, as far as i know, my engine is still fine. She just runs perfect ya know; maybe shes a factory freak?.
No factory freak here. You are killing your engine, you just don't know it yet. You'll probably end up spinning a bearing like the guys said, or pop a head gasket.

I have the 3800 series II in my DD Buick Park Avenue. I alway let it warm up for a minimum of half a minute, longer duing the winter, then drive. Even then I drive easy. Although the Series II is a stout motor, you can destroy any mechanical assembly with enough abuse. Sometimes it takes a while, but it will happen. Just a matter of time. The Series II is a utility engine, not a "performance" engine. Drive it as intended, it can last a long time. I can get 32 MPG highway out of my Buick, driving normal and running 89 octane in it (locally 6 to 10 cents more per gallon).

By the way, my wife has a Pontiac Montana van with a 3400 in it. One of her favorite things to do WAS start it, shoot down the driveway, and hammer on it going down the street, no warm up time. I told her time and again that's going to pop a head gasket. She ignored my advice. Well, guess what? last winter, a head gasket went out. Fortunately, I caught it before it was too bad. ( I'm not fond of servicing other peoples cars, due to obvious neglect and abuse.) I told her I wasn't going to fix it, because I felt it was deliberate ( I had cautioned her). So, a $2000+ repair bill later, she is taking it a little easier on her van.

As to the LS1. I start it, back it out of the garage, get out, close the garage door, get in and drive. I baby it, keep it under 2000 rpm until it's warm. Even when it's up to temp, it's not a given that I will beat on it.

Also, and I mean no offense by this; although I appreciate your honesty, remind me to never buy a used vehicle from you............

Last edited by johnnybravo; 10-03-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 10-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by johnnybravo
Also, and I mean no offense by this; although I appreciate your honesty, remind me to never buy a used vehicle from you............
I'll never buy a used vehicle. You never know what the original owner did
to it. Good example here.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
Engine swap solves that problem

Also, I never let my car get above 2000 in first, 2500 in second/third, and OD kicks in at some point so it drops to cruising RPMs. God damn stall :/

I usually start my car and let the cam find idle after maybe 15 seconds, then back out of the garage.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

My car doesnt move until the piston slap stops. If I hafta drive it without warming it up, I hardly use any throttle at all. Usually the car sits and warms up for about 10 minutes during the work week.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-start car up
-put on seatbelt
change music
scan guages
(about 1 min)
-dont go over 2.5k until warmed up
Old 10-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gaunt
Engine swap solves that problem
What if the trans is all beat to hell? Swap that too?
Old 10-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

No matter what bomb I'm driving I always let it warm up, in the winter I go overboard. I absolutely dread sitting in a freezing cold car waiting for it to warm up, so I start it and let it idle for 15-20 minutes or whenever I'm ready to go. I go outside, start the car, turn the heat on full blast defroster and go back inside. During the work week it warms up for as long as it takes me to walk back inside, brush my teeth and put my lunch all together. Usually by the time I get back out to it it's at 100-130 degrees and nearly up to full operating temperature by the time I reach the end of my road which is 1/2 mile downhill so it just idles in neutral.

After that though, it's on!
Old 10-04-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

No factory freak here. You are killing your engine, you just don't know it yet. You'll probably end up spinning a bearing like the guys said, or pop a head gasket.
Good info in all this. Maybe your right, how long did it take for her to blow the head gasket? I started doing this at 60k miles and im at 114k now. Still no SES lights or hesitation, starts first crank everytime. Thats why I say factory freak. But only time will tell. I also did this to a buick Le sabre from 70k miles to 166k miles. Gave it to my sister and she got it to 184k when the tranny went. Also did this to an Oldmobile cutless. But the tranny blew at 86k miles Also gave that to my sister and she replaced the tranny.

Originally Posted by unit213
LMAO, I don't sell cars, I buy them. Use them for what I want. Then I give them to a family member so they can get a few months out of it, then they are junked.

Originally Posted by badmfkr
never rev any car high. engine is designed to have a load (in gear) on it at a given RPM

I also turn key let fuel pump prime then crank sit only a few seconds drive in 3rd (A4 car) around 1500rpm till 190 degrees I don't give a dam who's behind me,untill I ready to speed up. car warms quicker in 3rd.

I also like to go slow keeping trans. from shifting to second for a couple blocks I believe this helps the trans. to warm up.
The car is in gear when I do this. What I'm saying is, I prime my V6 firebird, start her up, Change the CD, And hammer the gas with my one tire fire and off I go through 6k rpms. Do I care, no. Do I do this in my LS1. HELL NO!! Will I care when this 3800 seriers II engine blows up or when I go through my second rear axle. Still no. Those engines are $250 used. Trannys are $350. Come on now we're not talking about LS1's

Sorry for any confusion. But again thank you everyone. Now I just don't let my Ls1 above 2k RPMs til it gets to temp. It seems to be what everyone averages.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine dosen't move till it's up to operating temp around 190. Usually runs for around 10 min. or so before i leave anywhere.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I told her I wasn't going to fix it, because I felt it was deliberate ( I had cautioned her). So, a $2000+ repair bill later, she is taking it a little easier on her van.
?!?

Your off the hook because your wife paid the bill?

Around here, whatever the wife breaks is my problem.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I let mine get to operating temps before it even moves. So 1000-1100 with the a/c on. Never rev a cold motor. When the motor is cold the oil is really thick, puts a lot more strin on the oil pump, oil seals, and on other parts. I would reccommend to let the motor warm up and have good oil pressure before revving the **** out of it. That is just my 2 cents.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Cold mornings is why I love my remote start on the truck! Warms the engine, interior and defrosts the windows (as long as I remember to set it when I get out) The regular alarm didnt have the range so I got the one with up to a mile. Even if I'm in a building or something that blocks the signal at least it can warm up while I walk thru the parking lot.

Too bad the SS is manual.

Quick Reply: Max RPM's on cold engine do you allow?