General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

long tube headrs with no cat

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long tube headrs with no cat

is it ok to run long tube headers, no cats and and slp lm1. the car is basically stock with just a tune on it. i know back preassure is an issue and was wondering what the effects would be from running this set up..
Old 10-12-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running the same setup but with a Dynomax bullet in place of the LM1, I post a thread with some info and videos in it, will post the link for you:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...dynomouth.html

It is ok to run this set-up, no worries.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gm50cal
is it ok to run long tube headers, no cats and and slp lm1. the car is basically stock with just a tune on it. i know back preassure is an issue and was wondering what the effects would be from running this set up..
The effects would be an overpowering smell of gasoline inside your car along with an earsplitting raspy drone noise that increases with your RPM. But there are tons of people riding around now with the earwax vibrating loose as I type this so if thats what you after go ahead. You just need a TSP offroad y.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's going to be loud! The most important thing is the merge, is it a smooth "Y" or is it basically one pipe into another? If it's the latter its going to really pop.

My first exhaust swap was LTs+ORY(bad merge)+LM1=GARBAGE Loud, popping

I then welded on Moroso spiral flow mufflers and it helped a lot. I could actually drive the car without being embarassed. Then I added a cat pipe with a good merge. Now it has deep smooth tone and is a perfect street tone, not too loud but sounds good when I get on it.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

I roll around in LPP LT/ORY with no cat and a SLP exhaust. Its real nice sounding.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

what y are you going to use?
i have a tsp ory and the merge is horrible.
sinse i had my headers i had a sound that sounded like an exhaust leak and i even went as far as to weld all the pipes together(even at the headers) and it was still there i added a lm2 muffler right after the mearge and it stoped so just one pipe going it to another will sound like ****.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC98Z
The effects would be an overpowering smell of gasoline inside your car along with an earsplitting raspy drone noise that increases with your RPM. But there are tons of people riding around now with the earwax vibrating loose as I type this so if thats what you after go ahead. You just need a TSP offroad y.
False. There is now smell of anything in my car. And I'm running that exact set up with Flowtech LT's. And the "Raspy drone" for me is not nearly loud enough. When cruising its not to bad. When you get on it, people know!!! I really like mine and wish it was louder. Go for it. You'll love it.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's just going to come down to what you like. You're going to get different opinions on tone and volume. Check out the sticky that has a link to tons of different setups. Something like LS1sounds.com maybe? No matter what the merge is important for good sound, after that its all volume control. Oh and no cats will make worse exhaust smell, to me it was quite annoying so I put cats on and it sounds better, smells better, I dont worry about passing inspection, and I didnt notice any less flow, maybe lose less than 5 hp?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

For those of you that really like loud but can't stand the rasp of an ORY, consider custom true duals. It'll cost a bit, but you'll have a rasp free, clean, loud, deep note.

Most Y-pipes sound like *** without cats (or bullets). I've only heard one that I liked (Bassani).
Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

+1
It's a matter of opinion. I'd have to be inclined to go with this guy.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

I have MAC ML headers, ORY, and im pretty sure its the LM1. Mine really doesnt sound that bad, Not raspy or anything, Its pretty quiet driving normal, unless youre at higher rpms on the highway, sometimes it will get a bit annoying for my dad.
Its not the best, but heres a video where you can here mine pretty good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddQP9n6Pogg
Old 10-13-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

it will be loud and maybe unbearable and definitely raspy, but at WOT, i loved the sound of it.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Hahahaha. Im with this dude.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I think the absolute worst sounding LS1 exhaust system I've ever heard is SLP LTs with SLP ORY, and the original (LM1) Loudmouth catback. Awful. Soulds like a kazoo on crack, with a bunch of rasp added for good measure. Decent sounding idle, but please God don't touch the throttle, it's gotta be one of the worst V8 sounds I've ever heard.

But even with that foul setup, all it takes to fix are some bullets in the Y-pipe. That'll clear up about 80-90% of the bullshit.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey guys I have been driving for almost a year now with lt headers 3 in exhaust into a x pipe dumped at the rear axle. I actually love the way it sounds and get nothing but compliments. It is def loud but I can't see how with the op wanting exhaust with a muffler is to loud for some
Old 10-13-2009, 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

On my old ss I had LT's ory and a borla, sounded like ***, switched to a h pipe with dynomax bullets and it was one of the best sounding ls1's I have heard, I also had dual cutouts but they sounded like crap with the stock cam but loud as hell. My new car had LT's with a crappy ory and a spiral flow, sounded decent but I got a good deal on a 3" ory with a dynomax bullet so I jumped on it and had dual cutouts put on at the same time. Well I wasnt smart and forgot to bring the caps with my to the exhaust shop and by the time I got home it was raining So I have been driving around with open cutouts right at the collectors on a heads cam car, talk about loud
Old 10-13-2009, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gm50cal
Backpressure is not an issue. However, your car sounding like ******* will be. Go with duals and don't look back
Old 10-13-2009, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by trey1010
Hey guys I have been driving for almost a year now with lt headers 3 in exhaust into a x pipe dumped at the rear axle.
This is an EXCELLENT way to go. I'd highly recommend this if you want loud but still clean and good.

An ORY without cats, bullets, or at least a muffler will be very loud as well, but not clean or good.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, alot of Y pipe setups sound like crap. if you want loud, true duals are the way to go. LM1 is usually for people who just want pure loud when they first get their car. some people call it raspy, but its really not compared to a LT/ORY/LM1 setup. like said before, backpressure is not an issue. if you run open headers, then it is an issue.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree with everything but the smell of gas. my duals arent bad, and they are dumped before the axle.