General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

02 Trans Am or 04 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Trans Am or 04 GTO

So, I've been searching around a bit lately for a new car. Last night I found an 02 Trans Am (may have been a WS6 I can't remember it's written down at home) and an 04 GTO. The Trans Am has less miles than the GTO and both are auto. The GTO is a hardtop and the Trans Am is a convertible.

The question is, as far as retaining it's value which one will hold up better.
This will be a DD so which one does better year round?
Which one is easier to mod out?
Anything I should look for when test driving each?

Thanks guys and any input is appreciated.

Last edited by DukesOfHazard; 10-14-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazard
So, I've been searching around a bit lately for a new car. Last night I found an 02 Trans Am (may have been a WS6 I can't remember it's written down at home) and an 04 GTO. The Trans Am has less miles than the GTO and both are auto.

The question is, as far as retaining it's value which one will hold up better.
This will be a DD so which one does better year round?
Which one is easier to mod out?
Anything I should look for when test driving each?

Thanks guys and any input is appreciated.
i believe the ta wood hold more value
theyre probably pretty similar driveability
probably similar to mod
if ta has ttops u should check if they leak, cant think of anything else really, aside from the usual stuff
Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad you're so far away. My dad has his 04 GTO up for sale. Yellow, totally mint, garaged, and babied, something like 8,000 miles on it. Good luck with your search!

BTW, in my opinion, the big difference quality-wise is that the interior on the GTO is about 1,000 times nicer. Performance-wise, the TA will be easier with traction because of the SRA but you'll have to put a bar on it if you plan on going much quicker than stock down the track because of the vert.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

if its a w, then of course the t/a. but if not, i would do the goat. a buddy of mine just got an '04 and it is much nicer of a ride than my '02 camaro.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Forgot to mention, the GTO is a hard top and the Trans am is a convertible.
You did mention "Cpe/Vert" in your original post if you re-read it.

Btw, you can't compare the two rides really in the long run on how they'll play out valuewise.

An iconic last year TransAm Convertible Sports Car, vs. a Hybrid Heavyweight GTO, with a history of spontaneously combusting (read it right here on this site on several occasions) and nobody seems to know why?!

C'mon look at them both....if you like your ride indistinct, go with "G'day Goat"
Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i woud take the T/A over the GTO.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a brand new 04 GTO in 12/04....It's the best DD I have ever had; that being said I sold it to buy an 00 WS6 because I like the look of the car better. I had zero issues with my GTO and think the overall build quality of the GTO is much better. I drove my GTO in two Winters with snow tires and did not have any real problems. I would not drive my WS6 in the snow. I don't think you can go wrong with either one assuming they are in about the same condition. I would get the GTO for DD use.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Long term, I suspect that the GTO will be much harder to locate parts for. Obviously stuff like engine parts, etc., won't be an issue. But GTO specific mechanical/interior/body/electrical might be difficult as US production was low, and the only other car it shares parts with was sold in Austrialia. Again, this would be long term, if you want to keep the car for say 10+ years.

Also, long term the Trans Am will be more sought after by collectors and enthusiasts, as it's styling, nameplate, and platform are more historticly popular. As the years go by, restoration and performance parts (platfom specific) will be cheaper and easier to find for the Trans Am, thus continuing the popularity of the F-body over the modern goat when both are antiques.

Granted, all that stuff only matters if you plan to keep the car near-mint as a fair weather toy or street/strip car. If you just want a DD that you'll probably trade in or sell in 3-4 years, then get which ever you like better. Honestly, I think the T/A is a much better looking car and more fun to drive, but the GTO would be better suited as a daily driver, especially considering that the T/A is a 'vert. If you lived in CA then a 'vert would be more useful.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright, so I just called on the Trans AM... it's a WS6 Pewter with black convertible. The problem is it has a Non Repairable Certificate from some previous damage (gay). But, I found an 04 GTO M6 with a few minor problems (front bumper, hood, rear bumper will be replaced by the time I get it). They're asking 10.5k and I can talk em down a bit. So, when she sends me pics I'll post em up and we'll see.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Alright, so I just called on the Trans AM... it's a WS6 Pewter with black convertible. The problem is it has a Non Repairable Certificate from some previous damage (gay). But, I found an 04 GTO M6 with a few minor problems (front bumper, hood, rear bumper will be replaced by the time I get it). They're asking 10.5k and I can talk em down a bit. So, when she sends me pics I'll post em up and we'll see.
Did you not go look at the red 6spd MINT CONDITION 2002 Z28 I sent you in Lexington?

1. That TA with a rebuilt title is a HUGE NO NO.
2. $10,000 for a rough 2004 GTO is WAY overpriced. I see 2004s with 20,000 miles on them sell for $13,000 all day long.

You need to figure out what EXACTLY you want in a performance car. The GTO and Trans Am cannot honestly be compared as other than the engine, they are at two different ends of the spectrum.

1. Is an all out performance car with no compromises, the other is a regular car sitting on a front wheel drive platform with TONS of foreign one off parts, that has had watered down Corvette running gear thrown up under it.

Just like Qwk93TA I bought a 2004 6spd GTO brand new, I happily sold it in 2006 and bought another 4th gen. I'll never make that mistake again.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

man, what happened to the t/a!? and the goat?? it sounds like your looking at a couple of broke *** cars. scarey.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69camaross
Did you not go look at the red 6spd MINT CONDITION 2002 Z28 I sent you in Lexington?

2. $10,000 for a rough 2004 GTO is WAY overpriced. I see 2004s with 20,000 miles on them sell for $13,000 all day long.

You need to figure out what EXACTLY you want in a performance car. The GTO and Trans Am cannot honestly be compared as other than the engine, they are at two different ends of the spectrum.

1. Is an all out performance car with no compromises, the other is a regular car sitting on a front wheel drive platform with TONS of foreign one off parts, that has had watered down Corvette running gear thrown up under it.

Just like Qwk93TA I bought a 2004 6spd GTO brand new, I happily sold it in 2006 and bought another 4th gen. I'll never make that mistake again.

whats wrong with the rebuilt title? the only reason i ask is, mine has a rebuilt title.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 69camaross

I'll never make that mistake again.
I can't finance that car. With it being over 7 years old I can only get a loan for 3 years on it which would make my payment over 300 a month.

The GTO NADA's at 16.5k clean, so a rebuilt title would only lower it a couple grand. It's still a good deal.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02SLOMARO
man, what happened to the t/a!? and the goat?? it sounds like your looking at a couple of broke *** cars. scarey.
The T/A apparently was sitting next to a fire and some embers landed on the hood and melted the paint (according to what she told me). Said it came from Virginia with a Non Repairable Certificate, which is dumb. The car runs and drives.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy a car without title troubles, and in good mechanical condition. You will never regret spending a few extra dollars for that piece of mind.

Clean Title>Mechanically Sound>Cosmetically Sound.......IMO

What I really enjoy is having all three.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

the whole non repairable title worries me. i bought my car with a rebuilt title and still had it financed through my bank. if i were you, i would keep looking or pick the ride with lesser problems and hassle.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02SLOMARO
the whole non repairable title worries me. i bought my car with a rebuilt title and still had it financed through my bank. if i were you, i would keep looking or pick the ride with lesser problems and hassle.
Rebuilt titles just scare buyers a lot of the time. A rebuilt title will lower the value of a car in most cases because it's been damaged. It just lowers the "resaleability" of the car.

The way I see it is that this is a low mile car that I've been searching for. All the things wrong with it will be fixed by the time I get it and I even have a return policy that if don't like it I can take it back no questions asked.

So, they'll fix both bumper covers and the hood and it'll be good as new. Of course I'm going to check it out and drive it and inspect the hell out of it before I make ANY decisions but to me, it'll be a good deal.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Find a different bank. The 7 year rule is used by the banks that don't like loaning money. Go to a credit union.

If I'm spending over $10,000 on a 4th gen, GTO, or Mustang it better be under 40k miles and damn near perfect as there are billions of them out there for sale that are.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Rebuilt titles just scare buyers a lot of the time. A rebuilt title will lower the value of a car in most cases because it's been damaged. It just lowers the "resaleability" of the car.

The way I see it is that this is a low mile car that I've been searching for. All the things wrong with it will be fixed by the time I get it and I even have a return policy that if don't like it I can take it back no questions asked.

So, they'll fix both bumper covers and the hood and it'll be good as new. Of course I'm going to check it out and drive it and inspect the hell out of it before I make ANY decisions but to me, it'll be a good deal.
thats all that matters. thats how i felt with my ride. mechanically, everything checked out and to me it was worth what i paid.

but what the hell does non-repairable title mean?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Nice ride with some good power, GTO

If you want a drag car and something that looks a little more aggressive, T/A.

Both cars are very similar to mod. GTO lends it self much better to dual 3" exhaust. GTO is heavier but it pays off so much inside the car while you're driving (quieter, smoother ride and much more plush interior). T/A's value is holding a little steadier right now compared to the GTOs it seems at the moment.

If it was me, GTO. Note: I didn't read anything but the first post. I saw some title issues and would definitely keep looking if it's not a clear title. Also, I'd stay away from the vert if it's gonna be a DD. They're even noisier than a regular Fbody. F that.

Quick Reply: 02 Trans Am or 04 GTO