General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

07 Silverado 6.0 Rough Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 07 Silverado 6.0 Rough Idle?

Hey guys, I am curious... what could cause a rough or choppy idle? I have a 2007 vortec max silverado and out of nowhere the other day I was noticing that it is now surging a little bit at idle... sometimes it will idle completely smooth but then other times it kind of jumps a little bit when it is idling... what could it be? I ran some gum out through the fuel tank.. but it hasnt done anything. And the weird thing is that the truck runs completely normal when you are driving... The truck is basically stock other than the stuff in my siggy. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Call the place you buy gas from and see if anyone has complained of getting bad gas (you know what I mean). Other than that, check your plugs/plug wires. No SES light I presume...
Old 11-02-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Junkie

check plugs and wires... post what you mean about the rough idle.. Im curious as to how rough it actually is. I noticed in my truck (back when it was stock) it did feel almost like it had a bit of a surge and even my car will some times kinda shutter when idling, its not terrible but its something you notice when its YOUR car
Old 11-02-2009, 01:40 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Have you checked your TB for carbon buildup? My 03 did that after a while, I cleaned it out, and right back to normal. Something with it not being able to close all the way, and causing a slight vacuum leak.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Im gonna pull the maf out today and clean it and the throttle body also... we will see if that does anything... and yes there is no SES light.

and it is not tooo rough... like you said, I notice it but I dont know if others would. It will idle completely smooth at about 650 rpm and then bump down a little bit, maybe to 500 or 550 randomly. Does that make sense?
Old 11-02-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

like said above, it could be a vacuum leak. if you disconnect the brake booster and give it a nice vacuum leak it'll sound like it has a giant cam in it lol.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Launching!

i think i might have just fixed it... i didnt drive the truck around and get it hot though... so im not sure yet... What i did was take the whole volant apart and clean the maf with maf cleaner spray and then cleaned the throttle body blade and wiped around the neck of the intake tube and then sprayed some "deep creep" up inside the manifold all around and let that sit for about 15 - 20 mins... I then started it and let it idle for a couple minutes and revved it up to about 2,000 a couple times and then let it idle back down and ran the a/c too and I couldnt get it to idle rough anymore. so hopefully it is gone. I will keep yall posted. thanks

Quick Reply: 07 Silverado 6.0 Rough Idle?