General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Dont Laugh CB Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont Laugh CB Radio

Does anyone with a fourth gen firebird or camaro have a cb.
the car doesn't have many magnetic places so im trying to figure out what antenna mount would work on the car so please help if you have one
Old 11-02-2009, 12:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I've never had one on my 4th gens, but used to on my 3rd gen. I know, those cars have a lot more metal so magnet mounts work well. I think for a 4th gen you'd have to either go with a glass mount (which doesn't seem to work that well on a standard 4w out/5w in CB, in my experiance), or a body mounted ball mount. Of course, you'd have to drill a hole in the rear quarter panel for the ball mount. If you don't care much about range and only plan to use it when in close proximity to other radios, then the glass mount will work fine. But (and it's been about 10-12 years since I set one of these up), from what I recall I was only able to send/receive signals for about 1-2 blocks with the glass mount and a standard CB with no amp. I'm sure it'd work better if I had it mounted higher on the glass, but the issue with a 3rd gen is the same as a 4th gen, you have that black film/paint pattern covering the whole top of the hatch glass so you're forced to mount it low. This prevents much of the antenna from clearing the roof line and really hurts performance.

When I was commuting 70+ miles a day on the expressway, I often thought about tossing one on my '02 car using the ball mount on the left rear quarter. Never did though, and now I'm hardly on the expressway so it's kinda pointless for me to even bother.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used a glass mount one for my trip out west. It really didn't work well at all. Luckily, I brought a magnet mount one and stuck it to the rear quarter panel. This stuck fairly well and worked ok, I need to upgrade to a better one with more range. Any reccomendations?? Thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

just get a hand held one??
Old 11-02-2009, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or get a liscense plate mount and quick disco like the corvette clubs use.

http://ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=49359&dept_id=1007

Or use one of these: Not great but they work.
http://www.cbradiostore.com/servlet/...-Maker,/Detail
Old 11-02-2009, 04:59 PM

get a cell phone w/ free mobile to mobile minutes
Old 11-02-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2 6.0
get a cell phone w/ free mobile to mobile minutes
yeah but then you can't talk to the smokeys
Old 11-02-2009, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

I'll chime in on this one, for a short while I was driving a long ways in the camaro when I had it and I put a cb in it.

I ran a coiled antenna on the hood, it looked terrible, but talked good. You'll talk several miles with a stock radio with it. With some power you can talk a long ways. Any magnet mount will stick to the hood.. and talk decent, it doesn't hurt to run a few copper grounding braids around the hood hinges to the engine compartment and such to help increase the ground plane a little. This will work great if you don't have a fiberglass hood.

I then got sick of that, and ran a piece of metal bolted to the rear subframe out the back of the car and put a 102" whip on there for a few months, I'd just unscrew it when I was out on weekends, but put it on for the trip. It barely stuck out, so it wasn't pretty sweet. I also ran a fatboy 2x4 1000 watt linear for a little while, but it was too much for the electrical system. I did talk 50 miles pretty easy on it tho for the few months I drove it like that. Up in North Ga depending upon your elevation 100 miles is possible. I ended up using 4x1446's in a 600 watt amplifier and it was a good mixture. I'd talk to friends miles away who had them as well on their trucks and such.

After that I started driving my s10 again and it had a wilson 5000 on it, so I put a 1800 watt linear in it (a 2x8), and restored the camaro back to its factory level of white-trashedness. Thank goodness. I think the redneck rice of the cb radio increased the horsepower tho.. the car went 8.506 @ 87 with nothing but a lid in a 2000 model a4 on a 2.2' 60'... Not shabby numbers. With a 2.0 I imagine it would be in 12 second territory.

You can use the quarter panel, but you don't have a heck of a lot of room for any type of decent antenna unless you use the aforementioned ball mount. I was hesitant to do that myself as I didn't want to install any type of non-magnet mount on the physical body of the car.

Josh
Old 08-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Default CB antenna for 4th gen

This is how I did it for the Bandit Run

CB MOUNT 2021 Bad LinK

More Pictures 2021 Bad LinK

More Pictures2021 Bad LinK

My 1978 SE Gold T/A the only thing I ever loved that hasn't left me.... yet

http://www.mrbills.net/trans_am/

Last edited by pwrcat4000; 06-23-2021 at 10:52 PM. Reason: 2021 Bad LinK
Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I talked to someone on the bandit run that put a removable reciever hitch on theior car. from their they had an antenna mount that matched to it and the whole thing could be removed by pulling a couple push pins.

Quick Reply: Dont Laugh CB Radio