General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Which one?
N/A with spray
29.79%
F/I
70.21%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

To spray or spool? That is the question..

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To spray or spool? That is the question..

I moved this over here from the Gen III External, hope it fits in better..

Well, Uncle Sam is going to be pretty damn nice to me this year and with his generosity, i've decided to do a little winter project. As of now i'm kind of torn down the middle about what exactly to do. Sooo...should i go N/A with spray OR F/I? Feel free to include your buildup ideas or suggestions in your replies.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's What You Should Do:

Send me the money so I can conduct a research study, and suggest a course of action for you to follow.

Seriously though, go N20. There's no point in going FI and making HUGE hp if you're not into some serious racing. Or unless you just like hearing spools/bov's.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

i voted FI, NO2 is cool in all but turbo cars are what i see winning thats what id do if i had the $$ already
Old 11-19-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a tough question... is your rear, tranny and suspension already set up for big power??? What other mods do you have, how do you plan to use the car and what is your budget???
Old 11-19-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have the money get do a turbo build. Nitrous is badass and cheap which is for people who uncle sam is not nice to.

Plus the bottle gets emty, then you are out xxx hp.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Teching In

SOM B, i guess it would have helped a little if i elaborated on those spots, so thanks for the reminder. The rearend is covered, i just need to sell my Firebird to cover the funds for that. The tranny, im in the process of researching and the suspension ill probably upgrade the upgrades. As far as a budget goes, the figures ive come up with will be around 20K. Im not really looking at being the next NHRA superstar, more or less a weekend warrior but id still like to lay down some impressive power.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Launching!

are you going to drive it on the street or the track primarily? what is done to your bottom end? still stock? are building everything or just adding a power adder?........
Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

It will be a build from the bottom up. As far as driving it, it wont be a daily driver but id like to be able to take it out to a cruise in or something of that nature every now and then.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Damn... How did you do that?! Anyhow. I would do FI.The nitrous runs out and it seems there are a lot more possibilities to go wrong on Nitrous I'm sure you can build it safley but the power isn't always there. You don't have to heat the turbo to make power, you don't have to refill the turbo to make power, you don't have to purge the turbo to make power, you don't have to press a button to make power on a turbo, You don't have to worry about a turbo kicking in to early or late. I think you get it. I vote FI
Old 11-19-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by araber89
Damn... How did you do that?! Anyhow. I would do FI.The nitrous runs out and it seems there are a lot more possibilities to go wrong on Nitrous I'm sure you can build it safley but the power isn't always there. You don't have to heat the turbo to make power, you don't have to refill the turbo to make power, you don't have to purge the turbo to make power, you don't have to press a button to make power on a turbo, You don't have to worry about a turbo kicking in to early or late. I think you get it. I vote FI
Agreed.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Too many variables and not enough information to properly advise you. I think it depends on your budget and goals. Either way is fun though
Old 11-20-2009, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hoseman1553
SOM B, i guess it would have helped a little if i elaborated on those spots, so thanks for the reminder. The rearend is covered, i just need to sell my Firebird to cover the funds for that. The tranny, im in the process of researching and the suspension ill probably upgrade the upgrades. As far as a budget goes, the figures ive come up with will be around 20K. Im not really looking at being the next NHRA superstar, more or less a weekend warrior but id still like to lay down some impressive power.
This helps. I just wanted to make sure you had all the bases covered before you throw crazy power to it and it sounds like you do. Nitrous is fun and all but I LOVE a turbo car and since you have the funds to build it right that is how I would go.

What block and how many cubes do you plan on?

Last edited by SOMbitch; 11-20-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

I'll vote for FI if funds allow. No is cool but to have the power all the time kicks *** also.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SOMbitch

What block and how many cubes do you plan on?

I havent really settled on a block or anything yet, thats next on the list among the other necessities. I've been eyeballin' some of the ones the Texas Speed guys have for sale though. I pretty settled on the boost option now after looking into it a little more and reading what everybody have posted.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

with that budget, i would def go FI

you want power, a fun car to drive, and something to show.

nitrous makes power, when you use it. any other time its just a car.
nitrous is not very impressive at a show...other than when you purge it (ricer?)

turbo cars are VERY managable on the steet...especially drivability (stay out of boost), and you don't have to refill it.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

you're gonna spend 10 grand to make the turbo setup work and make gobs of power, unless you can do fab work yourself.

with that said, keep it simple stupid, or K.I.S.S, and save yourself some money.

NITROUS gets my vote.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

I am no expert, but I know FI would be alot more fun. At the cost of alot more cash, I think both routes would be fun. Personally I think the sound of an LSX with a turbo spool would sound effin sick.

P.S. Nitrous isnt as bad for your car as people pertain it to be, there are stock bottom end LS1's that have been sprayed for years and are still DD's.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
P.S. Nitrous isnt as bad for your car as people pertain it to be, there are stock bottom end LS1's that have been sprayed for years and are still DD's.
nitrous is safe if you play it right.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

I vote Nitrous. F/I takes alot of fabwork / money to do it right and/ or if you wanna retain A/c and all that. I just love the raw power of an all motor car. Plus when you want more you can spray it..
Old 11-20-2009, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

what about a D1SC procharger ? Its cheaper than a turbo and can still make good power at high boost