General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Still torn(GTO/Formula/Trans AM)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i vote for the formula. its sexy as hell if you dont mind the fact that it handles like a pirate ship. and for a 10 second weekend car do you really need a fancy interior?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Can't go wrong with another 'bird and to procharge it would be very nice.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I vote for a high mileage bird with a blown LQ build-up. Who cares about creature comforts if it's going to be a weekend car? Either one would be awesome, but I say go with what you know and obviously loved in your last car.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:16 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys he's indicated that he plans to drive this thing, which means he needs a certain level of comfort. Driving around a bouncy, shaky, live axle'ed muscle car with bad seats on a daily basis gets old really fast.

And once again, LS2!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

i love my camaro and plan to always keep it, i really want to add an 06 m6 GTO to the stables at some point for a cruiser and turn the camaro into more of a race car. if something were to happen to the camaro though id probably go ahead and pick up the GTO.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Man, what a bunch of GTO haters lol. I had one Formula and two Trans Ams and I loved them but stock wise to what I had the GTO has been the faster car (talking '81, '89, '96). Yeah, I couldn't believe how heavy it is but after considerable reading on LS1GTO.com you can make her fast as any T/A.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
Guys he's indicated that he plans to drive this thing, which means he needs a certain level of comfort. Driving around a bouncy, shaky, live axle'ed muscle car with bad seats on a daily basis gets old really fast.

And once again, LS2!!!
Wow. You guys with nothing but newer cars have a strange idea of what bouncy, shakey, live axle muscle cars with bad seats are. You should come for a ride in my Nova. Multi-leaf rear springs, traction bars, 14" wheels with large sidewalled tires, 4-wheel drum brakes, fixed steering column and a factory bench seat. THAT will put some hair on your chest for a street car.

Honestly, my 4th gen Camaros have been some of the most comfortable cars I've ever owned (not just compared to a 40 year old muscle car either ). I've had differnet levels of modern full-sized and mid-sized coupes and sedans, but none fit me like a glove like an F-body does. I used to DD my '02 Z28 for between 2 and 4+ hours a day, depending on traffic. I never felt any body fatigue from being in that car. Everything just falls right into place; steering wheel, shifter, seat, etc. Like the car was built exactly for my body.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

I am leaning towards a 2000 Formula WS6 black ANY OPTIONS but as of right now I can't find one. and it's not looking good. If anyone knows of a true WS6 formula forsale let me know please.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelie1967
Man, what a bunch of GTO haters lol. I had one Formula and two Trans Ams and I loved them but stock wise to what I had the GTO has been the faster car (talking '81, '89, '96). Yeah, I couldn't believe how heavy it is but after considerable reading on LS1GTO.com you can make her fast as any T/A.
If you're comparing a stock '81, '89, or even '96 V8 Firebird to a stock '06 GTO, then I understand how the GTO can feel blisteringly fast (especially compared to an '81, which would either have a 4.9 or 4.3....talk about a coffee table of an engine). On the other hand, an '05/'06 GTO is just a bit quicker than an '02 LS1 F-body, trans type being equal. And if you have a factory stripper '02 F-body, you'll probably be door-to-door with the '06 GTO until 85mph+.

Originally Posted by nitr0racing21
I am leaning towards a 2000 Formula WS6 black ANY OPTIONS but as of right now I can't find one. and it's not looking good. If anyone knows of a true WS6 formula forsale let me know please.
Why does it have to be a true WS6? If you plan to mod it, collectability goes right out the window. The price tag for a real WS6 Formula would likely be more than just buying the hood and badge, and I'm guessing you'll do aftermarket wheels and exhaust anyway. Obviously anyone who knows these cars, knows that the WS6 package consists of more than just that, but it's really the hood, badge and exhaust tips that people see.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Why does it have to be a true WS6? If you plan to mod it, collectability goes right out the window. The price tag for a real WS6 Formula would likely be more than just buying the hood and badge, and I'm guessing you'll do aftermarket wheels and exhaust anyway. Obviously anyone who knows these cars, knows that the WS6 package consists of more than just that, but it's really the hood, badge and exhaust tips that people see.
with my first ws6 formula I keep every single stock part even the rear. but I know what your saying, I could look into it but I plan to keep the car until I turn old and gray so for me I prefer a true WS6 because decades down the road when someone asks if its a true ws6 I want to be able to say yes. even if it has a 4" tall hood and a nasty lobe to it.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

70-73 or 77-78 Formula and pro tour it.

Or get a 96-97 WS6 Formula or a 95-97 Firehawk. Awesome rare as hell cars than will except all of the same LS parts and in my opinion look way better than a 98-02. The good thing is the LT1 WS's and Firehawks can be had in mint 30k mile condition for less than $8000. You're going to replace build everything that's different between a LS1 and LT1 car anyways. Why not be even more unique with an LS1 powered SLP LT1 year car.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

I have had PLENTY of F-bodies, and now have the Goat. Stock for stock, they are pretty equal. The GTO is not that much heavier than the F-bodies. Mine weighed 3720 stock with a 1/4 tank of gas and a box full of computer parts in the trunk. It is not very difficult to drop 200 lbs either. The LS2 straight up kicks ***. The factory brakes are inadequate at best, even on the '05-06. The IRS has it's pros and cons, but there are a bunch of people running 10's, 9's, and even a couple real close to 8's. It does take some getting used to when it comes to launching, but you stated that you were going with an A4 if you got the Goat. There are bolt-on cars running 11's, and heads/ cam cars going 10's. It is also relatively cheap to mini-tub one and get some 325's under the back (which is what I am going to do.)

I say get whichever is giong to make you happy, but at least drive a GTO if you never have before you make your final decision. The build quality and interior far eclipse any F-body I have owned.