General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Big Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
It is NOT a big mistake to sell. To properly restore that Firebird will run over $40,000 and probably more if you want it to be a true #1 car, unless you plan on doing it yourself. Most people are not capable of that type of restoration however. The tools and equipment costs are very expensive too. If you have that much sentiment towards the car then keep it, but the kind of money you are talking about to properly restore it may never come along. Dreaming is nice but reality likes to bite people in the rear end. You are smart to realize that there are thousands of 'project cars' across America that will NEVER be restored or even come close to being put on the road again in ANY condition.
I agree completely with this post.

However, some long term projects *DO* get done. Let me give you a great example:

A very good friend of mine is currently about 50% done with his long term restoration project. It's a 1974 'Cuda, being built to 1970 440/6bbl specs using a 1969 440 block. He has owned this car since 1988, and it's sat in storage since the early '90s. This is the exact sort of COMPLETE resto that you're referring to; the one that includes every nut and bolt, and takes over $40k to complete. Money is the same thing that stopped him from doing this project all these years, but some things happened in his life that finally made the funds available starting last year. The hardest of the body work is now done, and it's moving into the final stages of paint (car will be Plum Crazy Purple). It should be complete and on the road sometime during the 2010 season.

Point being, even after a 20 year wait, this car is now getting done. And done right. It's an actual reality, no more dreams or hopes.....it's real. So too can be your Firebird, if you're willing to wait.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FinkledBody ...I think you have complete misread my post. My Dad kept the car for me all these years. I have had it since birth. It means more to me than anything. I would never sell it. I put it on craigslist for sh*** and grins. Someone offered me a 8k car, I didn't consider it. The car means more to me than if someone gave me a 2010 camaaro 2SS today. I'm not just another un-appreciate kid that offends me...like I said just threw it on there to see what other people thought it was worth.

And RPM_WS6 I hope to have a similar story about my car but hopefully in the distant future.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

life is all about choices, i had a 74 gto painted 89 vette red with centerlines and a 455. the ex wanted it the divorce. my lawyer said i can always buy another car. i miss that car but now i have a convertible! only you can decide if storing that car then restoring it is worth it. im ticked i sold my spare set of 69 ram air 3 heads cast#48 right after the divorce. *@%$#&!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Keep it.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Who's quoting you $20,000+ to restore that car?

Ok, you see this car?

I had $25,000 invested in it and that included buying the car for $8000 as a rust free rolling chassis in primer with nothing really useable except for the grille and center console. EVERYTHING on this car was replaced. To give you an idea of the level of detail it went through

$6000 base coat clear coat high-detail paint job
All glass replaced with reproduction "thick style" factory green tint (not cheap)
All trim, emblems, door handles, basically anything that is shiny on the outside is brand new.
All new interior, seats, door panels, plastic trim, dash pad, dash itself, guages, guages faces, carpet, foot pedals, etc.
All weather seals, trunk painted correct splatter paint
GM ZZ4 brand new 350hp crate motor
brand new Moser 12 bolt with 3.55 gears
rebuilt TH350 trans
original date coded gold brake booster (expensive)
original GM AM/FM push button radio (expensive)
and the list goes on for another mile.

What I'm trying to say is all of the above including the price of the car and I still had less than $30,000 invested. You are one leg up on me as you ALREADY HAVE THE CAR. You could do a full frame off using a qualified shop that specializes in muscle car restoration and spend less than $20,000. Now if you decided to upgrade the car to more modern standards like big disc brakes, an LS1, modern suspension, you'll spend maybe another $10-15,000 but....... the car will far exceed what a 4th gen is capable of and more important so pay close attention to this.........

IT WILL NEVER EVER EVER DEPRECIATE

Keep the car, save your money and slowly restore what you can then save enough and have a qualified shop do the rest. These old cars are not rocket science and are a joke as to how simple they are from and engineering stand point.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

save it, you cant put monetary value on a family air-loom... that is unless you dont give a **** haha
Old 12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by 69camaross
....as a rust free rolling chassis in primer....GM ZZ4 brand new 350hp crate motor
These saved you a lot of money. Rust repair, done properly (meaning cut/paste of new panels and floor boards, sourcing factory panels, fabricating, media blasting or acid dipping, and priming the body) can be more costly than the paint job...even a show quality paint job.

And the ZZ4 isn't very costly, compared to building a Pontiac motor from the ground up (if that's the route he wants to go). Carb'ed SBC crates, and SBC parts in general aren't much. Don't get me wrong though, you bought a good motor....better than mine. My Nova came with the base GMPP 350ci/290hp crate, and even that's a decent building block with better heads/cam.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69camaross
Keep the car, save your money and slowly restore what you can then save enough and have a qualified shop do the rest. These old cars are not rocket science and are a joke as to how simple they are from and engineering stand point.
This is important to point out. Anyone could have confidence that they could put together a car like this. They are extremely simple. I put together a 66 Ford Galaxie in 2 years with a 16y/o's automotive knowledge and budget (worked at Kroger). The Galaxie was by no means the type of restoration you would like to do, but it worked, and I always had compliments.

The only limiting factor here is money. Just put the money in as it comes, and the car will be done before you know it. Go to swap meets, and watch Ebay. You may be able to find used OEM parts for good prices, and it should be alot of fun for you as well.

As I said in a previous post, be patient, and stay focused on the end goal, and everything will eventually work out. I think this is the best advise for anyone in the car hobby on a budget.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Keep the car, you can restore it one day instead of selling it and regretting it everyday.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:58 PM

I won't sell it. But yeah Im keeping the factory engine and all just will have cam and heads. I think I just need to concentrate on this V6 to LS1 swap im dreaming of lol. Despite what people have said about LS1 cars being cheap and that its dumb to swap cause it cost more I let it flow out one ear through the other because I love the car that I have if only it has an LS1 and was a 6-speed T-56 BW. I can keep my v6 insurance an my car I have grown to love and then finally have the car I wanted. If only I could find a good deal on a motor and tranny and had money.."people in hell want ice water" I can hear my Dad now.

Last edited by wring09; 12-08-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Teching In

I would not sell that car. Just the fact that its your dad's car and its been in the family so long. I mean no disrespect but you were probably conceived in the back seat of that car! again not trying to disrespect. That's just a cool car that belonged to your father!

Just a thought:
I recently acquired my dad's old 1980 GMC 3/4ton not nearly as cool as your Firebird, this truck wasn't my dad's very long but he loved this truck. 12yrs ago he sold it to my uncle. Even then this truck had sentimental value since my brother and I were taught to drive in it plus countless other memories. Well my dad passed away in March and I'll tell you that this truck has become my most prized possession since my uncle gave it back to me a few months ago (in terrible shape btw) And i plan to keep it the rest of my life.

Dont sell it!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Keep It!......Restore it when you can.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

id keep it for sure. that thing is way more valuable to you then it will be to anyone else.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:08 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you think you'll ever get around to restoring it the way you want then don't sell it. But, if it's just going to rust away sitting in a garage what's the point? For me, time would be of the essence also; if I somehow knew that it would take me 15, 20 years to finish this thing I'd say to hell with it. Not only do I want to enjoy myself NOW, but I could be dead tomorrow. Life's too short to be thinking about "what if" 10, 15, 20 years down the road...
Old 12-08-2009, 06:19 PM

That is my big predicament MYK because if I will never have the money to experience it and may be old and gray before that time maybe I should trade for something I can save and keep it in better condition for my kids? I just got offered a 1996 Formula with the SLP WS6 Package put on by Pontiac 90k Original Miles White in Color one of 524...I'm having a difficult time now im going to have a big discussion with my Dad tonight. Thanks for all of your advice and opinion I want to keep it and restore it SO BAD but if I can't I want someone else to do it right. I had a guy call me tonight that is retired and restored 2 cars for his personal collection and did full-rotisserie restoration he is willing to pay me 6,000 cash if it's in the condition I say it is so...again this is a hard decision.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Keep it, save up to buy yourself a decent LS1 which can easily be had for less than $8k these days. Then start putting back a little bit each month until you can start doing a restoration, that is if you can resist modding the LS1.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

I am with the keep it crowd...I sold my 68 impala because I was young and niave...didn't know my options and thought it was too much for me...right now that car would be the sweetist one around had i had the knowledge I have today...anyways hope you make a good decision and don't regret it in the future!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude, you would be crazy to sell that car. It appears to be rust free, if you could get it at least running again it would be worth a lot more.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

NO! Don't sell it. What is so special about a 1996 LT1 formula? You will regret it big time if you sell it when you get older.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
I know thats coming across as mean. But even thinking about selling or trading that car is stabbing your father in the face. Don't do it.
Honestly, that's exactly what I was thinking about. My dad gave me his 91 Camaro. While he never had the time or money to make it amazing or even fix it up, to sell it would crush him. I know one day when I actually finish the car he will light up with joy at the realization of the dream and seeing me take such pride in that car. So I agree, never sell, I know you are not planning to. When you are finally finished it will be a great feeling.

Last edited by El Diablo Azul; 12-08-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Big Mistake?