General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Big Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Mistake?

I would like to hear if I just made a huge mistake. I have never once in my life considered or even thought about selling my Firebird until today. I inherited my Dad's first car upon being born. His first car was a 1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 with factory air conditioning, automatic, white vinyl top, white vinyl interior, HO appearance package and more. I have dreamed of one day restoring the car but am starting to realize I may never be able to afford it even though im only in college. I want the car done absolutely correct. If I can't do it correct I do not want to do it at all so the idea of trading it for another dream car has came across my mind. I put my Firebird on craigslist this morning for possible trade of a nice ls1 car that is worth saving for my kids. It doesn't have to be spectacular but I have been wanting an LS1 car so bad I cant sleep lol. My Dad bought his 67' in 1972 and has had it every since it is in need of a full-restoration but is still quite valuable....am I making a mistake by considering getting rid of this piece of automotive history?

Last edited by wring09; 12-08-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Post some pics. First gens can be money pits, but if I were you I would keep the car. Also, what is your definition of correct? Do you mean do it right or restore to factory specs?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 AM

I'll try to get some pictures up this morning. By "do it right" I mean do a TRUE full restoration every nut, bolt, nick, and cranny and back to the way it was when my Dad drove it in high school. They lose value the farther you get from factory spec.
Attached Thumbnails Big Mistake?-img00067.jpg   Big Mistake?-img00072.jpg  

Last edited by wring09; 12-08-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:27 AM
10 Second Club

I love my Gto but I had a 67 and a 68 Firebird and was trying to find one of those when I bought the GTO. If I were you I would keep the 67 they are getting much harder to come by than getting something with an ls motor in it. Making that dream come true for yourself later should not be very hard if you ever regret getting rid of the 67 ( like I do ) Good luck replacing it.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:57 AM

Yeah i'm just not sure..and I added a couple crappy pictures I took with my phone this morning.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

It is NOT a big mistake to sell. To properly restore that Firebird will run over $40,000 and probably more if you want it to be a true #1 car, unless you plan on doing it yourself. Most people are not capable of that type of restoration however. The tools and equipment costs are very expensive too. If you have that much sentiment towards the car then keep it, but the kind of money you are talking about to properly restore it may never come along. Dreaming is nice but reality likes to bite people in the rear end. You are smart to realize that there are thousands of 'project cars' across America that will NEVER be restored or even come close to being put on the road again in ANY condition.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:33 AM

Im agreeing with you completely NC01TA but I think even the people interested in it do not realize how extensive a restoration is. The estimate I had gotten from a local guy was a ball park figure 30-60k. My phone has been going a-wall all morning. Was just offered a 2002 Toyota Celica GT for my Bird lol.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't sell if I were you ! The body looks straight and I couldn't really see any rust holes(need more pics). It looked to be in good condition to me ! How is the interior ? I have a 67' Camaro and its going to need alot of work(quarter replaced, trunk floor, tubbing,etc), its gonig to cost some change but its and investment partially for me. Even though it won't be stock in any way(LQ4,t-56, plus more), I know it'll be worth something but more importantly I love my 67'(even though its just a shell right now).
Old 12-08-2009, 08:40 AM

There is no rusted through areas on car except for driver side rear floor-board. Surface rust on underneath of car and where vinyl top was removed and rear-quarters and not bad just weak on bottom side. Interior is not bad just had a few mice have lunch with the rear seat.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a keeper to me ! If you sold it you probaly could buy 2 used LS1 cars and have enough change to mod one IMHO.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:46 AM

Thats the thing I don't know what it is worth...how it sits. To me its worth a couple million.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Maybe not a couple mil but I would say at least $15K+ easy ! You could get an appraisal.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 AM

15k how it sits? I have a guy trying to throw offers at me that has a collection of restored GTO's and my phone won't stop ringing and inbox too...wow..not so sure this was a great idea but it makes me feel like I really have something!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wring09
Thats the thing I don't know what it is worth...how it sits. To me its worth a couple million.
But your willing to trade it for a sub 10k car? IMHO I wouldn't sell or trade it. What I would do is get it running and in drivable shape, fix some of the body work and prep/paint it to prevent any further rust and then one day when you have the extra income do it right. It maybe a 20 year project but from the sound of it the car means alot to you so it'll be worth it. & Hell it could always turn into a Father Son project with your Son down the road..
Old 12-08-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

As it sits, it isn't worth much because it needs so much. Your car, as is, is worth less than $10,000 (and possibly much less) unless it has a really rare options package, engine, original low miles, etc.. I'm sure you realize that the person who buys it needs to invest that BIG $$$ to get it right. They won't pay you top $$ for that privilege to spend even more. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

I think you do ! 67' Firebird Formula with the 400 and factory A/C and decent interior and no rusted thru panels except the floor on oneside.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:04 AM

Yeah it has every factory option except true ram-air. I will probably never sell it and will take out a huge loan and have it made to fit my dream-image but I thought it would be interesting to hear what people thought it is worth. If someone offered me a 20k mile 2002 Camaro SS 6-speed I'd be pretty tempted though. I wouldn't trade it for a sub 10k foreign car either. Thanks for all your opinions they are greatly appreicated!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car will always retain its value better than a 4th gen in my opinion. If you budget right, and are motivated, it could be a 5 year project. Thats not a long time in the whole scheme of things. The main thing is getting the body work and paint done. The rest of the work could be done by anyone in their garage.

If you really want a 4th gen, they are dirt cheap. Just start saving, and you can buy one in no time. 4th gens are really fun, quick, cheap cars. I can understand wanting one, and if you want one, then just get one. Don't get rid of a car thats been in your family before you were born for a 4th gen though.

The main thing is just be patient. If you stay focused, then you will have what you want soon enough.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

You'll regret it til the day you die. DONT DO IT
Old 12-08-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by wring09
I would like to hear if I just made a huge mistake. I have never once in my life considered or even thought about selling my Firebird until today. I inherited my Dad's first car upon being born. His first car was a 1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 with factory air conditioning, automatic, white vinyl top, white vinyl interior, HO appearance package and more. I have dreamed of one day restoring the car but am starting to realize I may never be able to afford it even though im only in college. I want the car done absolutely correct. If I can't do it correct I do not want to do it at all so the idea of trading it for another dream car has came across my mind. I put my Firebird on craigslist this morning for possible trade of a nice ls1 car that is worth saving for my kids. It doesn't have to be spectacular but I have been wanting an LS1 car so bad I cant sleep lol. My Dad bought his 67' in 1972 and has had it every since it is in need of a full-restoration but is still quite valuable....am I making a mistake by considering getting rid of this piece of automotive history?
What i got out of all this is. "My dad spent his life saving this car for me. I'm thinking about selling all that hard work for fast satisfaction cause I'm another young kid with something amazing just handed to me so it has no real value. I say its worth a million dollars but am really willing to trade it for a $8000 car because I'm impatient and don't care about my fathers hard work. I say I understand but I really don't.

And I didn't think about how hard it was for him to save that for me, he could of sold it years ago to help pay for bills/make room in the garage/trade it himself for another dream car."

I know thats coming across as mean. But even thinking about selling or trading that car is stabbing your father in the face. Don't do it.

Quick Reply: Big Mistake?