General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

look im a ford boy. but i need a car that has luxury and performance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Skip the STS. Front wheel drive is awkward if your looking for performance.

Go with the CTS-v.
STS is RWD.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
my current car is a killer. ported 4v with big turbo = all the car i need.

for daily driving i need LUXURY. im not going to drag it or mod it.

acura's have a wimpy v6
lexus's look stupid
lincolns are small. and lack performance
infinity's look dumb
GTO's lack refinement and luxury i wany at my age.
i want a quiet ride. reasonable handling. great performance. great seating.
an old lincoln is an old lincoln. no thanks.
no SUV
great looks

either a CTS-v or an STS-v is on my short list. V8 power is the least i can stand with the performance im used to.

my current car hangs with a full bolt-on LS-2 GTO with only one intake valve open(b heads) and only 10 psi. and walks away with a 4 valves running at 16 psi. my car has all weight reductions. 2900lbs. manual steering, manual brakes. ive had it with a race car on the street.

i need luxury performance for daily driving.
Your best bet then is to go out and drive all the cars you are interested in and decide for yourself. I personally think the GTO's interior is on par with the 1st gen CTS-V's but to each their own...

Old 12-11-2009, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
weird to me it was immediatly evident that the CTS' interior was made/designed in america whereas the GTOs was not.
That is exactly the problem, the GTO interior is clearly not American. Some of us don't care as much for the euro look.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Your best bet then is to go out and drive all the cars you are interested in and decide for yourself. I personally think the GTO's interior is on par with the 1st gen CTS-V's but to each their own...

KInd of a weird pic of the CTS-V considering that EVERY V came from the factory with a heads up NAV display and this one obviously doesnt which takes away from the interior, nothing like popping the MAP disc out and throwing a DVD in to watch with an 8 speaker BOSE sound system. Also only takes two buttons to push to be able to watch while driving for the kids or whatever.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

thanks guys. ive decided on an 06+ CTS-V mainly because of the rear end failures. glad i looked into it. the NAV/heads up rocks. ill be getting it after april. allimony is $2000.00 a month till then. the extra cash will got towards a nice CTS-v.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i was turned onto caddy's by my GF. She has two and i love them. never thought a GM product would interest me.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C5Zo6 gets my vote. Not quite as "luxury" like the V nor as much seating.. I like the interiors/AMAZINGLY nice ride/a lot more performance than the V/handling is amazing...
Might not be Cadillac quality but they are nice, the performance makes up for everything else.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ill bet you my 500rwhp/2900 lb stang has more performance than your typical any year Z06.

i want luxury. and you are right. a vette is not a cadillac. seating for 4 adults. great ride. quiet cruising and far better looks than mine... or any boy other racer car.

BMW is a small car.
Merc's are overpriced. and an E55 is just not for me. C63 is way overpriced.
Jags are small. i looked at a XJ8 and it was too small inside. The CTS sems to be the best compromise.
my sister likes the XF-r and its a fine car. but $65k+ is too much.

Last edited by assasinator; 12-12-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: typo.....
Old 12-12-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

just remember that most 04-05 V's have had the rears upgraded to the 06/07 rear due to failure, or if you buy one with some warranty left take it in saying it whines, i dfid that and mine wasnt even bad but i still got the upgraded rear. also, 06/07 has the LS2 and the 04/05 have the ls6, no difference in HP, 1/4 times at all but the 04/05 are much cheaper.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Since you're a ford guy, maybe a new Ford Tarus SHO?
Old 12-12-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
STS is RWD.
So it is. I'm thinking of the older STS.

Thanks.

OP: CTS-v is a great choice. It's got it all.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
ill bet you my 500rwhp/2900 lb stang has more performance than your typical any year Z06.
No offense at all by this, but maybe you should brush up on what you know about Zo6s?
Without a doubt you should get a C5 in a straight line... C6Z, you would probably still get it by a little bit (It should be a good run).

The thing is though, the total package, handling/braking/interior/quality/etc etc etc is what you are getting. Your mustang can do one thing good I'm sure, go in a straight line. But a Z is on a whole other level.

Not ******* your mustang because my car is in the same place, I'm just saying look at the whole picture. A C6Z is an amazing bargain for what you get.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I love the CTS-v, but I was really let down when i test drove a ls2 CTS-v a couple months ago. The car is beautiful, but there was something wrong with the shifter. Plus the sales guy was a big douche. When i would go to shift into 5th the shifter would easily glide right into reverse while I would be rolling at 40-50mph. I didn't let the clutch go, but I could imagine that while driving enthusiastically I could put it into reverse going 80mph. Plus, I just wonder who might have already done that in the car already. I really hope that isn't the case with all cts-v's, but it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I just stopped looking at them. The dealer was of no help at all. I asked if that was normal or if it should be gated off to prevent that. I haven't driven that many manual cars and this is the first GM manual car I test drove. I was test driving a wide spread of four door cars including the CTS-v, WRX, Evo GSR, and Audi S4. I ended up getting an 09 335xi sedan instead. Very nice car and with a JB3 tune the thing has insane grunt for an otherwise stock car.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
I ended up getting an 09 335xi sedan instead. Very nice car and with a JB3 tune the thing has insane grunt for an otherwise stock car.
Im jealous, congrats on a sick purchase
Old 12-12-2009, 04:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Im jealous, congrats on a sick purchase
Thanks man, it's a great everyday, any condition car that is a blast to drive and can haul groceries and pick up the boy from school with the best of them. Still got my American Muscle tucked away for the winter in a nice warm garage. I got ARH headers, magnaflow catback, and a lid to put on her so that will keep me busy during the winter.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
No offense at all by this, but maybe you should brush up on what you know about Zo6s?
Without a doubt you should get a C5 in a straight line... C6Z, you would probably still get it by a little bit (It should be a good run).

The thing is though, the total package, handling/braking/interior/quality/etc etc etc is what you are getting. Your mustang can do one thing good I'm sure, go in a straight line. But a Z is on a whole other level.

Not ******* your mustang because my car is in the same place, I'm just saying look at the whole picture. A C6Z is an amazing bargain for what you get.

im good. not a Z06 expert by any means.

my car will not:
turn............no front sway bar...tiny front runners
stop.......... no ABS anymore and manual no boost brakes
turn easy.....no power steering
drive in the rain safely....super wides in a light car=white knuckle in the rain.

it only does one thing well. accelerate in a straight line.

in dont like how small a 335xi is. maybe a 5 series if it had really confortable seats. which by my standards BMW's dont have. (i grew up in germany).

they do seem to be decent performers.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its very unusual for a manual transmission to go into reverse while the vehicle is moving over 20mph. ill be careful for that.

i am decided on an ls-2 cts 06 or newer. im going to keep it from my girl until i drive it up in her driveway. 3 caddys will be funny. it has to be a red one. i bet she ends up driving it more than me.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its too bad you dont like BMWs my mom just got a 2010 M5.., That is one of the sweetest cars I have ever driven... 4 Doors, plenty of room, 507 HP V10, 7 speed...

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...gine_data.html
Old 12-13-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the seats are too stiff in BMW's.. I drove an M3 and it felt like you were sitting ontop of the seat rather than in it. CTS-V's felt like that also.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

im sure the BMWs mentioend above are slightly more expensive then the V he is looking at lol. Ad for the shifter, the stock one is sloppy but a few aftermarkert shifters are made and compliment the car nicely. I never have a problem with reverse, its a T56 so its not like its a flaw in the tranny on all V's, prolly just that one.

Quick Reply: look im a ford boy. but i need a car that has luxury and performance.