General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Fbody build quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Fbody build quality

Ever get the feeling/thought that 4th gen (my experience with 'em) were built by incompetent people or the people that were called to work on holidays.

Grumpy and pissy they didn't put effort into all the cars.

With all the minor/major stuff that goes wrong and went on my car, im starting to feel like that these cars were "half-assed".

Flame suit on.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 PM
SMS
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say that in my opinion, there was little to no thought or concern about being able to service or repair the vehicle after it left GM. I haven't found ANYTHING that was easy to access or repair.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

I half expected that the first few lines would be "is a joke" or "is it a myth?" or something among those lines lol
Old 12-15-2009, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

They were built in Canada. What the hell do you expect?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
They were built in Canada. What the hell do you expect?
The assembled in Canada part isnt the problem.....its probably the use of all shity American parts(bazzzzing...jk)....But I'm pretty sure that has nothing really to do with it. Just a late 90s car using the best of 80's parts. If you dont believe me, how many 70/80s cars had that steering wheel column?! A window motor used in 85 astro vans lol

Still a ****** great car for the price of used ones today
Old 12-15-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

my 98 t/a will be 12 years old next month. yea its a bitch to work on sometimes, but overall its holding up pretty well. no rust, no paint defects, no major problems mechanically, electrically, or physically (knock on wood). i rather own an 12 year old fbody over a 12 year old mustang anyday.

this car will last me for at least another 12 years or until i decide to upgrade to a vette
Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,234 Posts

4th gen F-bodies are the best cars I've ever owned. They rarely break on me (unless somehow related to mods), and they are actually pretty easy to service.

Only difficult thing to service is the #8 spark plug. Otherwise, all other fluids, filters, and belts are EASY to service. All the engine accessories are relatively easy to access as well. Air, fuel, and oil filters are so easy to access you could have broken arms and still change them with your tounge. Do you know how many other (non-F-body) newer cars don't have a petcock to drain the radiator? Or require removing extra parts just to access the belts? Or require engine bracing removal to change a battery?

As for build quality, all 4 of my 4th gens have been pretty solid cars. You gotta keep in mind these are hatchback, removeable roof cars, so you're gonna hear some body and interior noise....especially in cold weather.

When you consider the price of these cars when new, and the fact that GM gave us an awesome drivetrain that'll run low 13s, often with 100k+ miles on a stock motor, trans, and rear at stock power levels, who can complain?

And I love the old school steering column. It puts the wheel in the perfect location between itself and my body. Who cares if it's old? I think the problem here is that the younger crowd likes a lot of new bells and whistles, and generally doesn't want to see old stuff or old technology even if it works well. I don't feel this way. I like my cars to be as basic as possibile while still offering some level of comfort and conveniance. I'm not interested in Navi, DVD players, integrated I-pods, bluetooth, On-star, heated seats, electronic climate control, 57 different on-board computers to wipe my *** and blow my nose, etc.

It's like the F-body was built for me. They have everything I need and nothing I don't.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-15-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

My car just wouldn't be the same without all the little noises that constantly make me think something is wrong, even when it isn't lol.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

I cant complain my v6 car i had for three years and didnt have to do anything besides maintenance and replace the shocks and pinon seal the car had 100k on it. So far if had no problems with my Z.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only problems I have had were from belt dressing getting into my alternator, and getting to the #8 spark plug, but I did that when I dropped the motor for the HCI.

I think the problem here is that the younger crowd likes a lot of new bells and whistles, and generally doesn't want to see old stuff or old technology even if it works well.
Whoa, whoa, whoa...I'm only 19 and I don't mind old technology as long as it works well. I guess I'm not as "hip" as my buddy with a new civic si.
I like the steering column. It reminds me of my dads '68 Camaro.

Last edited by Pseudonym; 12-15-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RPMWS6 makes several good points but.....The phucking hatch rattle I have since the GF bounced it off the curb DRIVES ME CRAZY. Sometimes it's there sometimes not. Not GM's fault though. I hate the location of the OP sending unit. STUPID and can be relocated. I HATE half the motor under the cowl (but I understand why). I hate my SCREAMING 10 bolt. Why didn't GM put the 8.5" 10 bolt in there??? I need a DS window motor now.

I LOVE punching Mustangs in the nose I love kicking the expensive European guys in the nuts After wasting them they won't even look over at you. I still love these cars
Old 12-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Launching!

The fitment of body panels (ex. rattling/squeaking), lack of insulation/build quality (ex. hear every bit of dirt/rocks kicked up under the back of the car) leaves a LOT to be desired. I couldn't drive a 4th gen as a daily driver unless I had something else around to transition to on days that I just don't feel like dealing with it.

It rides like ****, has a noisy interior, and is basically a GM piece of ****. Then again, that is why I bought it. lol. I wanted a car with *****, no frills, and a good bit of power. If I want a cushy/quiet ride, I just take the Land Cruiser out.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

build quality is mediocre. theres plenty of things that are obvious GM cut corners with. my GTO is much better built.

ill still never sell my SS.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
build quality is mediocre. theres plenty of things that are obvious GM cut corners with. my GTO is much better built.

ill still never sell my SS.
Yup. I've driven a couple GTO's. That's one car that I'll admit GM got right.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
4th gen F-bodies are the best cars I've ever owned. They rarely break on me (unless somehow related to mods), and they are actually pretty easy to service.

Only difficult thing to service is the #8 spark plug. Otherwise, all other fluids, filters, and belts are EASY to service. All the engine accessories are relatively easy to access as well. Air, fuel, and oil filters are so easy to access you could have broken arms and still change them with your tounge. Do you know how many other (non-F-body) newer cars don't have a petcock to drain the radiator? Or require removing extra parts just to access the belts? Or require engine bracing removal to change a battery?

As for build quality, all 4 of my 4th gens have been pretty solid cars. You gotta keep in mind these are hatchback, removeable roof cars, so you're gonna hear some body and interior noise....especially in cold weather.

When you consider the price of these cars when new, and the fact that GM gave us an awesome drivetrain that'll run low 13s, often with 100k+ miles on a stock motor, trans, and rear at stock power levels, who can complain?

And I love the old school steering column. It puts the wheel in the perfect location between itself and my body. Who cares if it's old? I think the problem here is that the younger crowd likes a lot of new bells and whistles, and generally doesn't want to see old stuff or old technology even if it works well. I don't feel this way. I like my cars to be as basic as possibile while still offering some level of comfort and conveniance. I'm not interested in Navi, DVD players, integrated I-pods, bluetooth, On-star, heated seats, electronic climate control, 57 different on-board computers to wipe my *** and blow my nose, etc.

It's like the F-body was built for me. They have everything I need and nothing I don't.
I completely agree
Anyone who's owned a 2nd or 3rd Gen will relate how much more solid the 4th Gens are. As for all the extra do dads that most new vehicles come with, my thought is if it's kept simple there's less to go wrong.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Launching!

honestly i do agree that these cars a pain to work on, but what late model gm has been really easy to work on. I would put fbodies right in the middle of difficulties. I am a mechanic and see alot of gms at the shop i work at. For exaple of a stupid gm idea i was working on an old intrigue today where you have to pull the whole exhaust manifold (which isnt very easy) to replace the gaskets on the coolant crossover tube because the exhaust corss pipe is part of the manifold.
In intro my teacher always refered to the engineers "wet dream" they think its the best idea but ends up being shitty and a pain to work on and after working for a few years i realized how right he was
Old 12-15-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chadaclysm
My car just wouldn't be the same without all the little noises that constantly make me think something is wrong, even when it isn't lol.
Amen!!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone who's owned a 2nd or 3rd Gen will relate how much more solid the 4th Gens are.
Good point LS1W66. I had an 82 mustang that didn't do anything well before I got my Trans Am. So from my point of view, 4th gens drive like a dream. Build quality on my TA is a million times better than the build quality on my death trap of a ford mustang. To clarify I don't hate all mustangs, just my old five point slow.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, most my cars didn't even run when I bought them. It was so nice being able to buy a car and drive it instead of having to fix some crap or get it running. The rear end squeals like a pig but with the stereo on you don't really notice it. The only thing is that the tie rods or something are bad which makes for a scary ride at 120+mph..

I remember going to school in the 80 Trans Am and being so scared that I wouldn't make it.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by johnlv6
That's one car that I'll admit GM got right.
Right? I think they missed the bus on styling about as much as they possibily could have.

Quick Reply: Fbody build quality