General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How will 4th gens be rebuilt/restored ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How will 4th gens be rebuilt/restored ??

I am curious how everyone thinks 4th gens will be rebuilt/restored on the next 10-20 years ? There are so many set ups now a days that it is a very loaded question. Seem like a classic 4th gen setup would be: 224, head, intake, LTs, exhaust, gears and a stall.

I guess because I see so many 1st gens with a classic 350/auto/12 bolt combo. It got me to start thinking how will our beloved 4th gens live on in the future ???

Thanks,
Rob
Old 12-17-2009, 07:48 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An interesting question. I am hoping that SOM proves to be a valuable color...
Old 12-17-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought you meant with the body lol.. But still the floor pans will be first, my 94 had alot of floor pan rust.

Idk, it's hard to plan 30 years into the future. Probably just what they are now. You can't just throw in a motor or mods like you can with a 69 Camaro.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:03 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Who's to say. Who's to say if we'll even be around in that amount of time. I'm sure that people in the 60's and 70's didn't expect the sudden wave of desire that picked up for their daily drivers.

The muscle car craze came about in the late 90's, early millenia because America produced nothing but crap for about 20 years prior. So, you had all these people going, "hey man, remember back in the day when...?" Now cars, not just muscle cars but ALL cars, just keep getting better and better.

I'll make the prediction that no one will give a f**k about the cars we drive today because every generation seems to bring an improvement over the current generation. For example, take a look at the Mustang-from the pathetic mid-late 90's to what it is now and what it'll be tomorrow. Same thing can be said about the 'Vette, and the new Camaro. Yeah, the new Camaro isn't all that right now, but it's in its first stages. Give it some time and I guarantee people will forget about 4.1 and 4.2 'gens...

What the f**k are we talking about?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
Who's to say. Who's to say if we'll even be around in that amount of time. I'm sure that people in the 60's and 70's didn't expect the sudden wave of desire that picked up for their daily drivers.

The muscle car craze came about in the late 90's, early millenia because America produced nothing but crap for about 20 years prior. So, you had all these people going, "hey man, remember back in the day when...?" Now cars, not just muscle cars but ALL cars, just keep getting better and better.

I'll make the prediction that no one will give a f**k about the cars we drive today because every generation seems to bring an improvement over the current generation. For example, take a look at the Mustang-from the pathetic mid-late 90's to what it is now and what it'll be tomorrow. Same thing can be said about the 'Vette, and the new Camaro. Yeah, the new Camaro isn't all that right now, but it's in its first stages. Give it some time and I guarantee people will forget about 4.1 and 4.2 'gens...

While that may be true for the Camaro and Mustang, since both Pontiac and the Firebird no longer exist, i think the 4th gen T/A will be somewhat collectible.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I think 224ish cams will be a popular choice for a very long time to come. It's an excellent blend of streetablity and powerband/overall performance.

Headers are common for any performance car, so that's a given.

Same with stalls, gears, and intakes.

This whole prospect is nothing new. It'll be treated/built just like any other popular performance car. There is nothing unique about building horsepower with an LS1, the same general princeples apply as when building an SBC.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually 60s/70s muscle car collecting started in the mid 80s, cooled in the early 90s then came back with a vengance around 94-95 and has only picked up speed since then.

Performance wise;
People will always build a 4th gen with whatever is readily available just like hot rodding always has. With the T buckets they used flat head Ford's as they were easy to get. Then they were running 60's big blocks in 50's cars. 60s and 70s they built whatever was offered by the aftermarket and factory. Same today only because LS and FI stuff is everywhere you are seeing a lot more cars get retrofitted with this stuff as its cheap enough to justify. and.... the huge supply of carb'd engines and TH350 trannys are not as big as they used to be. So who knows what will be done to these cars in 10-20 years. in the 90s would you have been able to guess that this whole Pro Touring movement would have taken off like it has?

Restoration wise; it will take a lot of interest to spawn an aftermarket of OEM style resto parts for the 4th gens. Potentially a lot of time too. I mean they are just now starting to build the hard to find resto parts for the late 70s f-bodies. That's why it's a good idea to pick up some of the rarer hard to find parts while you still can. Export tail lights, Firehawk parts, SS parts, etc.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myk

I agree with this, (unfortunately).

Because todays economy (even for how shitty it is) is totally different than it once was.

Where car manufacturers just started making literal rust buckets and tin cans from the late 70s to the very early 90s, look at whats happening today: expensive hybrid cars are taking over, and budget "civic"s are no longer what they used to stand for. All of this because of strict competition. If Ford started making very cheap cars like it (and others) did in the 80s everyone would be jumping ship to a Toyota (or whatever.)