General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

car salesmen are idiots

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car salesmen are idiots

So I've talked my buddy, Nate, into either buying a Trans-Am or new Camaro since Im getting him hooked on F-bodies. We've been looking around and he found a 1996 TA at a stealership back in September. We go find a salesman so he can show us the car. They have us talk to Jose since he has a 1997 TA and he supposedly knows a lot about these cars.

So we hop into a car and he takes us down the street to another lot they own where the car is. Jose kept saying how nice this car was and that it had leather interior that was in perfect shape. As we were driving over there, I mentioned I have a 99 TA and so asks me what motor I have and I tell him it's the LS1. "Oh yeah, that's the one I have." I tell him that he probably has the LT1 and he asks what the difference is. I told him that in 98 that they started putting in the LS1. I also mentioned that the LT1 had in the neighborhood of 285hp. So then he asked me how much my car has and I said Im running about 350 or so and he said, "then I have the LS1, too." So I'm thinking this guy is a little confused.

So we pull up to the TA and as my buddy and I get close up to the car, we notice how much of a piece of **** this car is. It's black but the car is all scratched to hell and not to mention the rear hatch is red. We open the car up and it has cloth interior and the carpet has some bad stains that have been there a while. It had about 120k miles on it, it leaks oil, needs new tires and the muffler looks like it's about ready to fall off. So we pop the hood and Nate and I just start laughing. The previous owner took a dryer hose and ran it underneath the car and was using it as a cold air intake. Jose says it's the same motor he has and then asks me if the motor was the LT1 or LS1. I tell him its the LT1 and he asks how I can tell a difference. I told him that if he knew much about these cars, you can tell just by looking at the motor that it's not the LS1.

So after Nate and I stop giggling, we ask how much they're asking. He's tells us they want $10k and asked if we were interested in filling out the paper work?!?! I show him a pic of my car and told him I bought mine for $12k and that there is no way they were gonna sell this. Jose says that it's a good car that just needs a little work. Nate offered $4k and they wouldn't budge. So I told Jose to have fun trying to sell that for $10k and we walked away. And it's still sitting there and the price is still the same. Dumb, huh?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some of them are dumb... the rest just play dumb, but the fact is most car salesman are salesman and know nothing about cars. Just be glad you do!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

me and a buddy was going around to car dealers when i was looking for a chrysler 300(DD) and we went into one and told the salemen that i was interested in the 300 they had and etc. then i said i had anohter one i was looking at, at a diff. car dealer.

he started asking me questions "does it have leather, etc" then finally he asked "well does their's have ABS brakes?", me and the buddy look at eachother and i start to chuckle. left it at that.. lol.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes they are very dumb if your buddy want's a Fbody don't guide him into a LT1 unless he just loves that body style. Try to guide him into a 98-02....
Old 12-26-2009, 03:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me and a buddy went to check out a ws6 at a dealership..

We went out and started it up..

I came back inside and I said, "well its obvious that car has a decent sized cam in it, how much you asking"..
Another guy that works there walks up behind me and very sure of himself says "yea, of course there is, it has four".

I kind of laughed and said "naw... naw it doesnt, it has one"

He insisted again that it had one and inferred I knew nothing about those cars..

Later on I brought my car up there and talked to them a bit more.. He told me that the one he had was worth more than mine.. The car they had has 90k on it 01 ws6 with full exhaust and a cam, nothing else. My car had H/C intake full exhaust (kooks to that cars pacesetters) built transmision converter gears RPM 505 rims hood etc etc etc.. I just laughed and informed him my friend wasn't interested..
Before I left he offered to trade that car for mine and he would give me 1k cash!

Old 12-26-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good used car salesmen know how to tranfer money from your pocket to theirs. They don't know **** about cars, they just know a limited number of key words to keep the price up on someone that knows even less than he does.

I prefer buying a used car privately. The owner doesn't know which info to divulge or conceal so he always plays into your hand.

Either way, drive the car, look it over REAL CLOSE and make an offer. That's it. Talking about the details of a car with a salesman is a waste of time.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Car salesmen are a strange breed and have always been that way. Always looking for a sucker to screw over. Imagine having a job like that every day you work, actually looking for fools to take advantage of. Great way to spend your life. They must feel so good when they go home at night. "Hey honey, you should have seen the guy/gal I stole from today."
** My apologies to the 'very few' decent salesmen out there that will actually work with you and have some knowledge about cars. I actually have met one or two but it sure is rare.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yea, some salesman are peices of work. I was looking at a 2002 WS6 with 55,000 miles. The car was in decent shape. Not pristine or anything. They wanted $18,000 for the car and wouldn't budge.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:10 AM

I've been in the car busniess for 15 yrs I'm a general mgr. Your right some of them are dumbass and the ones that make a career at it are really great guys. We have a saying to in the car business buyers are lairs. people bring in cars and say they are great needs nothing get the car here and its not worth scrape weight. So it goes both ways. The only thing I can tell ya is do your homework so you don't get had by the salesman who are a dumbass. I know alot of car guys in the busniess that race and collect cars. Like me I have a 68 yenko clone 427 nova, 68 ss sbc camaro, 86 stage gn and a 96 slp ss twin turbo camaro I'm working on. So don't put all of us in the same section.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen a lot of these types of threads. Asking an outrageous place doesn't make them idiots. That's just business. Them spouting out info that is incorrect makes them idiots. I don't hold it against them. I know LS1s inside and out, but I don't know dick about Hondas, V-tech, B16, and other Honda terms. I get the basic concept, but if John X Ricer comes up to me and spouts all his Honda knowledge I wouldn't understand it. Most dealers are guys and *most* guy dealers need to put on the front that they understand EVERYTHING about EVERY car they sell so when the consumer asks them a question then don't say "I'm not really sure.", but they will spout of some babbling bullshit that makes us all start threads like this one. 90% of people will buy their babbling bullshit, but the other 10% have a good understanding of the specific car they are looking at and take their transaction from there.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:32 AM
Staging Lane

everybody's gotta make money somehow..
Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

i sold cars for 5 years independently. only 4x4, honda's, and sports cars. market is hard now and i got out of it but i didnt know jack bout the hondas and didnt act to. just told people hondas speak for themselves. i hated dealing with 1/2 the people at auctions cause they all want to screw u! i was not out to make a killing just a liven unlike most so i know where ur coming from. most carlot owners are ****** though! there better then everyone and so are there cars! even there junks better lol
Old 12-31-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Just looking at the car ads on ebay indicates the arrogance and 'uncaring' attitude of far too many. I'm sure many of you have seen that some dealers use the exact same wording on each and every car they sell. All that is done is a change of photos, and punching in the year and model. "Never smoked in", "Obviously garage kept", "Well-maintained excellent condition", are just some of the catch terms used on every car. Another favorite of mine is 'low mileage' when the car has averaged over 15k miles per year. I've even sent in a few questions on the really outrageous ones to see if they would fix the typo. The few that answer back actually argue that the miles are indeed low. INCREDIBLE!!! That about says it all.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Junkie

One other thing. I'll tell you what, if there is a heaven and hell I sure want to go to heaven. Not to avoid the devil so much, but to avoid the used car salesmen!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Mid
On The Tree

I went into a used car showroom to see what the trade in value was for my WS6...the salesguy told me the most I'll ever get is $6000 for my car, I walked right out. He called me back after I left and I cursed him off. I feel bad for women, to deal with these pieces of ****.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya it is crazy. u go into a dealership and the want to give u 5,000 or less for your 98-02 camaro or firebird! almost doesnt matter wat miles or condition. sry but no one will take a test drive or see a title for my car if they where offering that! then when u go buy a lt1 from them the car is super rare and they want 10,000 for it!
that the how it work though. i will only buy ls1 f-bodys from private people cause of that. more personal knowledge of car,better deals, and prices
Old 01-12-2010, 06:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The sad thing is they will probaly find some poor kit to buy it at near that price at 17% interest. I paid right at 10K for my 2000 WS6 in early 2007. The car had right at 80000 miles on it at that time and other then a little TLC needed nothing. I fill bad for who every buys this car at that price