General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Climate Control on 4th gen F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by silversrtman
not to hijack the thread, but i figured id ask here instead of starting a new one about something similar. I just got a 2000 Camaro SS and i was wondering if you could put the head/feet heat setting on without turning on the AC compressor. If you look at it during the day its blue, but at night it lights up normal.
I believe there is only two settings that blow the fan without the compressor. If its lit blue then that means the compressor will be on, also if the defrost is selected in the furthest two right selections then that turns the compressor on as well. Only way you could change this is to put a manual switch on the compressor activation wire behind the controls that would keep the compressor from turning on.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blend Door motors tend to go out quite often. Had to change a number of them. As for vacuum issue. The f-body has only 1 incomming vacuum line that I can see. If you gain a underdash vacuum issue, most likely, its your fault
Old 01-01-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I believe there is only two settings that blow the fan without the compressor. If its lit blue then that means the compressor will be on, also if the defrost is selected in the furthest two right selections then that turns the compressor on as well. Only way you could change this is to put a manual switch on the compressor activation wire behind the controls that would keep the compressor from turning on.
thats what i figured....thanks for the reply!
Old 01-01-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackhawk0251
I always wondered why GM didnt supply the latest and greatest F-Body models with climate control but instead a cheezy hot or cold temperature adjustment module. I mean yea its a sports car but if its supposed to be top of the line...

Is it possible to put climate control in these cars? Im trying to think of a GM vehicle with a single din, single climate control unit. I wouldnt think it would be that hard to convert. Convert the wires and run the temp sensor under the dash...Any info?

Not to make fun of you OP but I chuckled at this one..... They put a "top of the line"..... rearend in too.......
Old 01-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate my wife's G8 climate control that automatically BLASTS you with high fan speeds as soon as you start the car.
Turn auto mode off, problem solved
Old 01-02-2010, 01:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
Turn auto mode off, problem solved
With the climate control in my Bonneville, as soon as you turned the HVAC system (not the car) on the fan automatically went to full fan blast. I hated that. It wasn't 'auto' mode, it was just the default setting for each re-start of the system.

I'll keep my manual controls whenever I can.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the climate control in my Bonneville, as soon as you turned the HVAC system (not the car) on the fan automatically went to full fan blast. I hated that. It wasn't 'auto' mode, it was just the default setting for each re-start of the system.

I'll keep my manual controls whenever I can
I find that wierd. Why on earth would a car ever default to auto mode? My silverado only defaults to auto mode when I use remote start, but goes right back to manual mode as soon as I put the key in.

So your saying that if you got in your car, it was in auto. You unselected auto mode, and turned the car off. When you turned it back on, it was back in auto mode?

On another note, any of the levers break off on your nova. I lost two already. Busted the little end pieces off. Luck for me, the key can come out of the ignition even after it been started, so I can slide it out, poke it in the slot, and move it up and down
Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I find that wierd. Why on earth would a car ever default to auto mode? My silverado only defaults to auto mode when I use remote start, but goes right back to manual mode as soon as I put the key in.

So your saying that if you got in your car, it was in auto. You unselected auto mode, and turned the car off. When you turned it back on, it was back in auto mode?
I could turn the car on without the fan starting no problem, it's just that when I'd push any button on the climate control to get that going, the fan would automatically go to the highest speed setting, and show 'auto' on the screen. It would remember the last temp I had set, but its fan default was to instantly go to auto & high speed when the system was turned on, even if I had it set to the lowest speed the last time it was used. As soon as I'd turn the fan down one notch, it would be back in manual mode. I owned that car since it was almost new (17k miles), and that's how it always was.

On another note, any of the levers break off on your nova. I lost two already. Busted the little end pieces off. Luck for me, the key can come out of the ignition even after it been started, so I can slide it out, poke it in the slot, and move it up and down
Mine has never broken, but I can certainly see how that would happen. The cables used to be so hard to operate that I was always afraid they would break. Then, in '08 I had to replace the heater core, so while I had the heater box out I lubed all the hinges and door swing points where each cable connected. It works sooooo much better now. Still a tad tight, but about 90% better than before. Guess they just need a little grease every 30 years or so.

You can buy the little end pieces from Year One for about $4 each, or a whole new cable set for about $40, if you want.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

I like the HVAC controls the way they are.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by JCS30TH
I like the HVAC controls the way they are.
Same here. Simple, well laid out, easy to reach. The only thing that I wish was different would be the addition of an A/C compressor button as the OP is talking about.

Quick Reply: Climate Control on 4th gen F-Body?