General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

manual cutout??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual cutout??

Hey guys, i found what appears to be a manual cutout in my exhaust? Now when i bought this car he said he had not raced it. The exhaust tips are some off brand.. 3a racing or something.. and i believe the rest of the exhaust to be stock ( its pretty quiet) there are no supporting mods under the hood that i can see of that would hint it was raced.. So im confused why there is a cutout. no trans ams came stock like that did they? any information would be helpful, or other things i can check to see if the exhaust is stock or after market
here's a picture of the cutout

and a picture of the other side.. can clearly see its an after market part based on the color difference
Old 12-30-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it is a cutout for sure.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Launching!

so i figured, you think if i can manage to take a couple shots of the piping and muffler, people will be able to tell me if its stock or aftermarket??
Old 12-30-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No fbodys came stock with cutouts. It's aftermarket. Just because he had one doesn't mean he ragged it out. I have one also. When I first got my car I didn't have the money for a catback so I bought one and had it welded on for cheap.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Launching!

do you go to the track at all? i'm assuming there might have been a lid in there, maybe some other things? I just don't see why anyone would put a cutout and not race at all. its obnoxiously loud for street
Old 12-30-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ripgtp97
do you go to the track at all? i'm assuming there might have been a lid in there, maybe some other things? I just don't see why anyone would put a cutout and not race at all. its obnoxiously loud for street

I don't see why your thinking that if your car has been raced its automatically been used up or in shitty condition. There's no reason to think the guy you bought it from lied to you... People put cutouts on all the time, some just like their cars sound better. I've heard some crazy loud cars on the street, just a matter of personal preferance. Just because a car is loud doesn't mean they take it to the track... I've never taken mine to the track. It doesn't mean I don't drive it hard every now and then.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone races these cars that's what they were made for. Whether they keep it stock or not
Old 12-30-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01SuperSport
Everyone races these cars that's what they were made for. Whether they keep it stock or not
That's why I said "ragged out" lol. Everyone at least a couple of times has gotten on their cars. I had a stockish exhaust when I first had it, but when the cutout got on there I thought it sounded great so I kept it, and only close it for long road trips. It can be really loud on a cold start up in the winter, but after the engine warms up its not all that bad
Old 12-30-2009, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

I'm never taking mine to the drag strip again thats the reason it has been broken so many times. If I do any racing at all it will be autoX.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ripgtp97
A cutout on stock exhaust manifolds and cats is not loud at all by any means, its certainly no louder than SLP loudmouth.
And what does it matter if the car has been to the track or not? Running WOT for 13 seconds isn't going to hurt anything at all.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car use to be a drag car, it's got a Moser rear, bent to **** subframe connectors and use to have a cage, but the car was very well taken care of. I haven't had one problem except the torque arm which was my fault. These cars were built to go fast, as long as it looks clean and like somebody cared for it, you shouldn't have any problems. I am afraid I am gonna have a hard time selling my car just because I am 17, people are gonna thing I tore this car up but in reality I have treated it like my child.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its was probably modded at one point, and then the guy returned it to stock form before selling it. No one owns a 300+ hp F-body and doesnt drop the hammer every once in a while.