General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Ls1 blowing smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 blowing smoke

Okay so here is the story; please give any/all advice.

Looking at a 2000 trans am with a built bottom end and 5.3l heads. Has a beck sheetmetal intake and cam. Exhaust is hooks headers no cats to muffler. Radiator is only filled with water.

So i went to look at the car, it started right up no problems. Some exhaust leaks under the car and a little from between the headers and heads. It blows smoke that disepates into the air like a normal car that is cold, but it keeps doing so even when the car warms to operating temperature around 200. Car does not run hot even when idleing for 15 minutes with electric water pump off. Car is dumping alot of fuel with 120lb injectors the gauge on the fuel rail is reading 60psi. Car has been sitting over the last 8 months but shouldnt it not have so much exaust smoke coming out of it?

ALSO THE AIR FUEL GAUGE READS 13-15 AT IDLE
Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to say its your exhaust or lack of. My car does the same thing with LTs and ORY. If you just idle your car you exhaust pipes don't get hot all the way back to the tips. So the exhaust air condenses and you see the "white exhaust smoke" I wouldn't worry about it unless its blue smoke. If you can take it out for a spin and I can almost guarantee it will go away.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

sale it......
Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

I'm glad somebody posted this... My car has the same issue when it's cold outside even after it has warmed up (white smoke at idle). My friend's 2500 Sierra 6L does the same thing, maybe it's just a Chevy thing.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go out do a couple wot runs if it still does it then u may have a problem
Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by therobman
go out do a couple wot runs if it still does it then u may have a problem
A problem such as? I would, but we still have snow covered streets.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T AM
A problem such as? I would, but we still have snow covered streets.
Well if you do these runs and get the exhaust warm enough all the way through it will dry the exhaust and you won't have condensation in your exhaust which will get rid of you "smoke" which is just condensation. Now if this smoke continues and it white. Check you coolant. To make sure you aren't burning coolant. Which is highly doubtful. Now if the smoke is blue check your oil to make sure you aren't burning oil which is also doubtful. So like said before it is just excess condensation from your exhaust because of the lack of exhaust. Every car does it when started cold, yours just more then the civic your parked beside at wal mart.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by araber89
Well if you do these runs and get the exhaust warm enough all the way through it will dry the exhaust and you won't have condensation in your exhaust which will get rid of you "smoke" which is just condensation. Now if this smoke continues and it white. Check you coolant. To make sure you aren't burning coolant. Which is highly doubtful. Now if the smoke is blue check your oil to make sure you aren't burning oil which is also doubtful. So like said before it is just excess condensation from your exhaust because of the lack of exhaust. Every car does it when started cold, yours just more then the civic your parked beside at wal mart.
Alright, figured it was just condensation. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can have condensation in the exhaust system from the car sitting that long period of time. Which is water, and when the hot exhaust hits it you have a water vapor trail out the back of the car. With the weather has cold as it is where I live there is a lot of water in the air. My car has the same trail you are talking about after idling adn driving around town. I literally can see it coming up over the spoiler at a red light. I think you are worring to much.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

same issue myself, turns out it was just condensation

Quick Reply: Ls1 blowing smoke