General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Buying (X-Car) To Save My F-Body Argument

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by 02WS6SSZ71
I vote to own as many cars as possible. I have always enjoyed every car I've had, whether they were a POS or not. I've always been lucky enough to have an f-body, and I've always had another car to DD as well......

......Do what you want to do, but if you're a nutcase like me about cars, you're happy to have as many at your residence as you can fit in your garage/driveway.
Originally Posted by sundaydriver
If I daily drove my Camaro it would look as beat as all the other DD F-Bodies around here.....

.....The Camaro was purchased as a fun car for fair weather. If I had to DD it and park it outside or on the street and money was a consideration for a 2nd car, I never would have bought it!
Agreed. I'm with these two guys, I see it the same way.

It dosn't matter what we call them. Insurance companies list them as sports cars and is the catagory we pay under.
None of that seems to matter once you're 25+ and married. I pay less to insure my '02 Z than my '04 Cavalier, same company same coverage. I feel bad for the younger guys around here. I read stories about $2-300/month for insurance and I just can't imagine how anyone can afford one of these cars at a young age. No wonder kids starting buying/modding Civics. It's a shame.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of that seems to matter once you're 25+ and married. I pay less to insure my '02 Z than my '04 Cavalier, same company same coverage. I feel bad for the younger guys around here. I read stories about $2-300/month for insurance and I just can't imagine how anyone can afford one of these cars at a young age. No wonder kids starting buying/modding Civics. It's a shame
You get your car under your wifes insurance with her as the primary driver. I'm less than 25 (so is my wife), but full coverage on the car is only like 70 bucks a month.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
why not have both. Its called an elcamino
or down under a ute, if the G8 ST made it over here, I would probably have purchased one.

I like the elcamino's but I do not want to have a 30+ year old daily driver for as many miles as I drive a day.

Ryan
Old 01-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

or down under a ute, if the G8 ST made it over here, I would probably have purchased one.

I like the elcamino's but I do not want to have a 30+ year old daily driver for as many miles as I drive a day.
I liked that idea too, damn the bankruptcy.

As for driving a 30+ year old vehicle as a dd, just do a ls swap and call it good.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always had an extra driver car. Right now I don't, but I will just to have a backup. I did the honda DD thing for a year and that was great, if you drive a 100hp honda all week, then jump in a cammed 6 speed trans am, you feel like its a rocket. I'm against the hondas now though, last year mine had a malfunction...at 45mph...and I ended upside down charlie brown. I could have had a few more race cars for what medical bills were, not to mention that if I woulda been in a f body, I wouldnt have happened, or wouldnt have hurt me as bad if at all
Old 01-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Teching In

I have a 95 del sol I drive every day and there is nothing better than the feel of Vtech torque throwing you back in your seat. Seriously though, I like having an extra car in case something happens. If my TA breaks, I can park it and take my time on it. There are many reason why having an extra car is a good idea. I dont get mad at the almost 40 mpg's I get either.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It dosn't matter what we call them. Insurance companies list them as sports cars and is the catagory we pay under.
It isn't what "we" call them, that is the category of the car.

Autozone says I have a 350 in my car but I don't go around saying that.
Originally Posted by RPM WS6
None of that seems to matter once you're 25+ and married. I pay less to insure my '02 Z than my '04 Cavalier, same company same coverage. I feel bad for the younger guys around here. I read stories about $2-300/month for insurance and I just can't imagine how anyone can afford one of these cars at a young age. No wonder kids starting buying/modding Civics. It's a shame.
All of my Ls1 cars have been under mine and my mothers name. I'm 21 so it would be just north of 275/month for me. As long as we are both on it she can be the primary and I am still fully covered under the insurance. The loans are in my name only as I have much better credit than her anyways.
My payment with it in her name and full coverage is like 95$/month.

Needless to say, my mother has owned a lot of fbodys in the past couple year. One was a 10 sec NA car...
Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Considering not all 'sports' cars are 2 dr, rwd, open roof only 2 seaters...

What defines a 'muscle' car to a T? Technically an F-body is even mid-engine if you want to get down to the nitty gritty. Corvettes were solid axle at one point, some mustangs have IRS.

It could be argued that the only REAL sports cars have 2 seats....but have you looked in the back of a porsche?

Why do you care and who gives a ****; much less what 'noobs' think?

For the argument having a DD is hands down the way to go. Come cry to me when you deal with 10" of standing snow in a an f-car, or some lady drags her malibu or some **** down the side of your car because it was icey. If you've put $10 towards making your car any nicer than factory you are an idiot for driving it through salt. When I invest $ into a toy, I'd like to maintain it. Furthermore it's entirely unpractical for hauling anything, picking up any more than one person and frankly quite dangerous for anyone in the back if you were in an accident in the winter.

The dude who said a truck/suv and a SPORTS car (like it really matters) is spot on. Can't remember the last time I had an old oily engine block wedged in the trunk of my mustang or my trans am.......

Maybe only sports cars can haul old blocks around lol.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

insurance should only be paid on a car until you have paid the ins company the price of the car in NADA/kbb value, then you shouldnt have to pay to insure your car anymore, just to pay to be insured for whatever your hit/kill.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have the extra money for a reliable daily, nor do I have room for another car.

Here's my daily:

i wouldn't describe it as "beat" from any standpoint. 103k miles. driven 12 months a year in all weather. not a show car but i'd rather daily this so i can afford than settle for something else. i wash and wax it frequently, and keep up on maintenance.

it's modded. i know i'm not getting my money back anyway. i keep it clean and have fun with it. i don't think that's a bad investment at all. not saying i wouldn't get a beater if i could, but i certainly don't think it's stupid to daily one of these cars if you take care of it and aren't careless.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, in my case, when i drove my previous 02 t/a everyday, it started feeling boring and slow, but when i didnt drive it for a week, it felt like a beast...
In my current case, for a dd i drive a slow mustang. As for a weekend cruiser, i would have to pick up something with more punch to it, ex: another t/a
Old 01-04-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

I drive the **** out of my monte on the daily. It's not an overly rough daily driver, but its also no ferrari. Part of ownership, at least for me, is motoring around, breaking ****, then replacing it with better parts...I enjoy knowing that putting miles on the puts wear on certain items, and with that wear comes replacement/mod parts.

If you don't like driving your car, then you should get a honda or something that isn't designed for someone who is automotively inclined.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
i wouldn't describe it as "beat" from any standpoint.
You can keep them decent for a while with constant daily driving, but over time the winter will take its toll.

This is my 96k mile daily driven '02 Z28. It's seen every sort of weather and driving you can imagine:

This is my 15k mile perfect weather only '98 Z28. The wipers have never been turned on:

They both look pretty nice in those pics, but upon closer inspection, the '02 really shows the wear in comparasion. If you see the engine bay, or undercarrige, or compare the paint/glass/trim up close, you can clearly see what all-weather daily driving will do to a car. I wash and wax my '02 car constantly, but you just can't keep up with the deterioration of an upper-midwest climate.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 479 Likes on 346 Posts

RPM WS6 It sure looks like it could enter a show though. Very nice! It takes a lot of effort to make a 'close to 100k miles car' look like that.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You can keep them decent for a while with constant daily driving, but over time the winter will take its toll.
very true. my car came from florida just before i bought it so it's only seen 1 winter so far. hopefully it will only see a few more until i can afford a second car, but for now it works.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NC01TA
RPM WS6 It sure looks like it could enter a show though. Very nice! It takes a lot of effort to make a 'close to 100k miles car' look like that.
Thanks. During the nice months I'm constantly washing and waxing it. I go to an extreme; I've restored the headlight lenses many times, I use various chemicals on every surface of plastic, paint, and trim to inhibit aging as much as possibile. The car looks good, but no amount of cleaning or paint & surface protection will prevent all the effects of Chicago weathering though. It's all in the details, and though it might not show in pictures, this is more noticeable when you see my two F-bodies in person side-by-side.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

I just bought a cavalier and it's great. Sure it's an extra insurance payment, but I'm saving money with the gas mileage I get. 287 all out in the ta. close to 400 in the cav. premium in the ta. regular in the cav. I would fill up 3 times a week in the ta. I fill up on average 1-2 times a week in the cav. Cavalier also has a smaller tank than the ta. Plus this cavalier is a hell of a lot easier to drive in the rain/snow.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id find a cheap 500buck beater to slop around if you lived in a snow state.

I know some guys say drive it all year round and youll have fun with what you drive. BUT i have my Fbodies to enojy their power and speed, cant really enjoy either in the snow/ rain

Thats why i have my 97 silverado. Its a v6 and it doesnt eat gas like the t.a or camaro. I can drive it in the snow and the reain, park it where ever i want, and never have to worry about a door ding, shopping cart, ect ect.

I take the insurace off my ta, and camaro in the winter and the truck is much cheaper to insure, so if you got a 500 beater it would almost pay for itself with the cheaper gas, and insurance..

I could never think about driving my camaro in the snow, its not me i worry about its all the other ******** out there that dont know how to drive in the snow
Old 01-04-2010, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

i drove my t/a for 2 years as dd, then i got a 1500 silverado and i say get another dd, i love having the option to drive two different cars/trucks, it also comes in handy with having a truck, if i were you i would look at getting a cheap truck, my truck has 186,xxx miles on it and my car has 102,xxx, my car is meant condition for having the amount of miles on it, i got it with 50,xxx and besides one scratch and some front bumper wear there is not a mark on it, i would like to keep it that way so i love having my truck to drive during bad weather and such, i am also still modding my car and being able to drive the truck while my car is down allows me to take my time and do things right on my car

just .02 cents
Old 01-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Launching!

therealcreeper

i wouldn't describe it as "beat" from any standpoint.
Either would I. But about all the F-bodies that I see in terrible weather around here have owners that bought a cool car and don't properly maintain any vehicle. The enthuasiasts cars are home in the garage.

The wipers have never been turned on:
Mine have been turned on but never used.