General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Non-T-top T/A?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Rather than transmutating a hard top Formula into a Trans Am (), you could simply remove the T-top roof and install a hard top from a donor Firebird or Camaro. Many have done the opposite to give themselves the T-top option. I'm sure the reverse wouldn't be anymore difficult to accomplish.
This would never work from a "donor" car though. You'd have to buy a new panel from GM for the conversion. That roof panel is severely glued into place and cannot be removed in one piece...they always break into several pieces. Those of us that have had roof panels replaced may have seen this first hand.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to suspect that swapping bumpers and ground effects would be quite a bit easier than hacking apart your roof, if you wanted a non t-top t/a.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This would never work from a "donor" car though. You'd have to buy a new panel from GM for the conversion. That roof panel is severely glued into place and cannot be removed in one piece...they always break into several pieces. Those of us that have had roof panels replaced may have seen this first hand.
I've yet to see the dreaded paint bubble on my sail panel/roof area, so I have no experience with a roof being repaired on a 4th Gen. I'll take your word for it though, and hope I never have to.

Originally Posted by Zebisko
I would have to suspect that swapping bumpers and ground effects would be quite a bit easier than hacking apart your roof, if you wanted a non t-top t/a.
I'm really not one for seeing a perfectly good Firebird Formula ruined by turning it into the more popular and more abundant Trans Am.

Although, it would definitely be more difficult to replace the roof, than swap panels, I see this a the proper way to go about making a T/A a hard top.

But you know what they say... "Opinions are like ********..." LOL
Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I've yet to see the dreaded paint bubble on my sail panel/roof area, so I have no experience with a roof being repaired on a 4th Gen. I'll take your word for it though, and hope I never have to.
My '02 car went through this repair, paid for by GM. I was one of the lucky ones. The dealer took step-by-step pics for me, and the panel ended up in several pieces.

Here's another bit of F-body info you won't find in a book.... the TSB for roof panel replacement only covers '99+ F-body, but this problem also occurs on '98 cars built in 5/98 & 6/98. Every F-body built starting in May of 1998 is at risk for this condition. So far, my research has turned up no F-body to ever have this condition with a build date prior to 5/98. As always, if anyone reading this has an F-body older than May of 1998 with this condition, please post up.....so far I have not confirmed a single one.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TTA850
I know there was a white 1998 T/A hardtop on the cover of Car & Driver but from my digging through the compnine.com database the only two 1998 T/A's that come up without t-tops are vin number 00004 which is a red car with grey leather and a 6 speed, and number 00013 which is a black car with grey and an automatic.

There were also two cloth interior T/A's built, vin number 00001 was a sport gold T/A with neutral cloth and number 00008 was a silver T/A with grey cloth.

HTH,
Steve
That is interesting about the 2 T/A hardtops neither being white. I can only guess that the White (C&D) one was a hand built car at the GM PPO facility. The Compnine site is cool for sure but remember it likely still isnt complete. I checked my vin a couple months ago and it came up with zero info. Did it the other day and found out according to their data base my Formula is one of one for the `98 model year.

My '02 car went through this repair, paid for by GM. I was one of the lucky ones. The dealer took step-by-step pics for me, and the panel ended up in several pieces.

Here's another bit of F-body info you won't find in a book.... the TSB for roof panel replacement only covers '99+ F-body, but this problem also occurs on '98 cars built in 5/98 & 6/98. Every F-body built starting in May of 1998 is at risk for this condition. So far, my research has turned up no F-body to ever have this condition with a build date prior to 5/98. As always, if anyone reading this has an F-body older than May of 1998 with this condition, please post up.....so far I have not confirmed a single one.
Yeah March 12th 1998 build date here and never had a single paint issue.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

From some of my 2000 model year GM literature:

More than likely one of the two hardtops that were assembled.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Whoa this is awesome

VIN searched my car

There are 1 2000 FIREBIRD COUPE vehicles (0.003%) matching your exact options list. There are 1 (0.003%) with at least as many options
Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a red Trans Am over here with a hard top and TT2's. Kinda dirty too. I am pretty sure it's a Trans Am because I remember going "ooh a Trans Am" and then going "awww it's a hardtop".. It was one of the employees next door and they moved their shop so maybe I can figure out where there new shop is and track it down to look..
Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
There is a red Trans Am over here with a hard top and TT2's. Kinda dirty too. I am pretty sure it's a Trans Am because I remember going "ooh a Trans Am" and then going "awww it's a hardtop".. It was one of the employees next door and they moved their shop so maybe I can figure out where there new shop is and track it down to look..
Chances are it wasn't manufactured that way.. It was probably altered in some way (trans am hatch/bumpers, etc).
Old 01-07-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe, it's most likely a formula though. I can't remember since it's been quite a while since I have seen it. I know it's a 6 speed and leather. Didn't want a hard top or I would have offered him some cash, now I feel like a dumbass lol. It's like finding a unicorn if it is a Trans Am.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe, it's most likely a formula though. I can't remember since it's been quite a while since I have seen it. I know it's a 6 speed and leather. Didn't want a hard top or I would have offered him some cash, now I feel like a dumbass lol. It's like finding a unicorn if it is a Trans Am.
I would take a hard top 100 times over a ttop car. You will too in a few years I bet.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

I'm curious where you found this information.

I've been a Firebird enthusiast for a number of years and have collected a number of books about the life (and death) of the car. I can't seem to find any information in any them to support or deny your statement.

As was stated in a previous post, the T-top option was standard for the Trans Am and Formula in 2001 & 2002, but I'm not so sure it was made manditory. In the Standard Catalog of Firebird 1967-2002 by John Gunnell, it states the the CC1 production code, removable hatch roof, was a $995 option in 2001 & 2002. To me, this reads as though you still had a choice.

In the same book, it states nothing about T-tops being standard for any of the Firebird models in the 1998-2000 models. But they were, again, a $995 option.

I'm not looking for an arguement. Far from it. I'm just very curious to find an accurate answer to this question that is supported by facts that can be proven.

Please, by all means, show me why you are correct and I will gladly accept it as fact.
I also have that book, and from what I understand of it, the t tops were an option for trans ams, but it was a highly popular option, so you won't find many cars without them. That and Formula's were discontinued in 2001. That leaves only v6 birdies and trans ams.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
I also have that book, and from what I understand of it, the t tops were an option for trans ams, but it was a highly popular option, so you won't find many cars without them. That and Formula's were discontinued in 2001. That leaves only v6 birdies and trans ams.
LS1 trans ams got ttops as standard equipment. End of story. Ttops were only optional on v6 firebirds and formulas. ALL trans ams got ttops from 1998 up, excluding the 2 mentioned earlier.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

When I was looking into mine I seem to remember reading that T-Tops were standard on all Trans Am from 98+ and a $995 option for Formula and V6 cars.

It was an option for all Camaros.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

That and Formula's were discontinued in 2001.

So whos gonna let all the guys on here with '02 Formulas know that their cars don't actually exisit?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So whos gonna let all the guys on here with '02 Formulas know that their cars don't actually exisit?
I was just thinking the same thing.....

Oh, and as previously posted multiple times in this thread already, ALL 98-02 T/As came standard with t-tops. (Excluding the 2 non-public vehicles)
Old 01-08-2010, 03:57 AM
10 Second Club

While it's highly unlikely, you never know scince vin #00004 was a red t/a hardtop with a manual trans, grey leather seats, traction control, and painted wheels. Even though it may not have been intended for the public doesnt mean it didnt end up there through GM's dealer auction program.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dude? Discontinued? Seriously, if you own the book then read it. The Formula has been a Firebird model since 1970 (70 1/2 for the purest) and was available up through 2002, when the F-body line was dropped.

I don't mean to rip on you, but be sure you have your facts straight before post something like this.

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
I was just thinking the same thing.....
I'm with you guys on this one.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Formula was certainly available in 01-02, however WS6 option was discontinued. Only available on Trans Am (what a shame).

Maybe thats what Blackhawk77 was thinking.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Blackhawk777, do you mean the T-top option was discontinued in 2001?

I was looking through my copy of Gunnell's book and it states that T-tops became standard on the Formula in 2002. (Although, I'm now a little unsure of how accurate this publication actually is.) Either way, the hatch roof was most definitely available for the Formula until its demise.

Or possibly, as eseibel67 suggested, the WS6 option was no longer available for the Formula in 2001 and this is what you're thinking of. Maybe the wires just got a bit crossed? LOL

Quick Reply: Non-T-top T/A?