General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is it just me or are OEM headlights retarded expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Angry

i bought new headlights for my SS. theyre cheap garbage and i paid alot of money for them. pisses me off. now i have to have them removed and warranty them.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones Z28
1....2....3... YOUR OUT!

Everything started off fine, I began to sand them, sanded a lot of extra crap off by going to a harder grit. Then went into the buffing phase. I buffed the **** out of them, and it just wouldn't clear up. So I put some more pressure on the buffer and it finally starts clearing up, then it melted the crap out of the plastic lol.

Yeah I SWEAR those cracks where all the way through the headlight it was just god awful. I gave up, and now hearing about them eventually started to fade anyways after buffing even, I think I made the right move. I found amazon.com sells them as a set for 260 bucks. That's a pretty good deal. Not nearly as good as 60! Damn, that's awesome man. Oh well, I'm happy new headlights are on the way. I get to perfect my whistler mod skills again haha.
Lol, that middle finger up made me laugh. You probably were to the limit where they couldn't be polished up anymore. At least your car will look new again when your new ones come.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You know why they are so effin expensive is because they know that they are a needed part just like a fuel pump and etc etc.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones Z28
1....2....3... YOUR OUT!
i had the same problem. i spent forever trying to restore my original headlights and also found that the cracks seemed to go all the way through. i also did the sanding with different grit, buffing, all the headlight/plastic restoration stuff off the shelf, etc.

so i gave up... if i get sick of aftermarket headlights, i'll just take off their front lens and stick them on my original stock headlights.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

I actually got really lucky and bought a set for thirty bucks. The guy bought projectors and didn't need them still look like new.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did someone say retarded?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
i had the same problem. i spent forever trying to restore my original headlights and also found that the cracks seemed to go all the way through. i also did the sanding with different grit, buffing, all the headlight/plastic restoration stuff off the shelf, etc.

so i gave up... if i get sick of aftermarket headlights, i'll just take off their front lens and stick them on my original stock headlights.
You got the Sonars right? Well if you do go back to stock (which I couldn't simply because the projector + HID is too awesome) and swap the lenses you'd have perfectly smooth ones without the nubs.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or are OEM headlights retarded expensive?