General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is it just me or are OEM headlights retarded expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me or are OEM headlights retarded expensive?

So I remember looking at headlights just within a couple years ago and remember them to be around 200 bucks or so, not bad. Looking over the SS in the garage today I notice just how bad my headlights are. I want to get new headlights but absolutely hate halos. I don't want that Chinese crap on my car.

So I go online to look for oem or even oem replacements. 200 dollars a piece? 400 dollars for not even true OEM headlights? Last time I checked Pontiac was going out of business not Chevy, damn! I even went on ebay and they're around 179 a piece, LH and RH together are around 400 still.

Which brings me to this... Anyone know where I could get a set of brand new or damn near mint OEM style headlights for a 98-02 Camaro under 400 bucks lol?

Last edited by Bones Z28; 01-14-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bones Z28
So I remember looking at headlights just within a couple years ago and remember them to be around 200 bucks or so, not bad. Looking over the SS in the garage today I notice just how bad my headlights are. I want to get new headlights but absolutely hate halos. I don't want that Chinese crap on my car.

So I go online to look for oem or even oem replacements. 200 dollars a piece? 400 dollars for not even true OEM headlights? Last time I checked Pontiac was going out of business not Chevy, damn! I even went on ebay and they're around 179 a piece, LH and RH together are around 400 still.

Which brings me to this... Anyone know where I could get a set of brand new or damn near mint OEM style headlights for a 98-02 Camaro?
x2.. suscribed, I'm in the same boat with you, hate the halos.. wouldn't mind clear with projector and xenon but NO halo.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

certifit list price 146.xx each
Old 01-15-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
certifit list price 146.xx each
That's not bad. Yeah I would buy oem style hid projectors in a heartbeat if they sold them! I wouldn't have to keep pitching down my "illegal" hids like I do now.

Actually just found that Certifit has a location down the way from me in Addison, not more than a 30 min drive. Going to give them a call and hopefully can pick up a set tomorrow. I may have missed read it (really don't think so), but the listed price dropped to 124.00 a piece or at least that's what is says for the "chicago" catalog. Sweet! thanks again man.

For those interested....
Idk if I can link, don't want to get in trouble. But page 27 in the catalog it's listed.

Last edited by Bones Z28; 01-15-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

You should just clean up your lights by yourself. Or hell, bring them to a auto body shop. They can take a sander then buffer to them and make them brand new for probably like $50-100. Don't pay $130 a light, rip-off.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

x2 on the buffing it works and will only take about 20 min. but i bought 2 headlights after market for my car and it cost me around 100 bucks i think from keystone i got a discount but i cant imagine them being to much more retail
Old 01-15-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Big Shuck LS1
You should just clean up your lights by yourself. Or hell, bring them to a auto body shop. They can take a sander then buffer to them and make them brand new for probably like $50-100. Don't pay $130 a light, rip-off.
I hear ya man, I've already been down that road. I had a previous set on my last car that I was able to recover by buffing them. I swear these things are just gone, it's almost as if it's all the way through. I sanded the crap out of them and then hit them with my drill press that I turned into a buffer. Buffed them with blue magic, then 3m's kit, they got better, you should have seen them before LOL. I just don't want to deal with the headaches. I do agree it's a friggin rip off tho.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SOLO Z
x2 on the buffing it works and will only take about 20 min. but i bought 2 headlights after market for my car and it cost me around 100 bucks i think from keystone i got a discount but i cant imagine them being to much more retail
Sounds interesting, but keystone won't them me in lol. I guess you need a login? Looks like its just businesses that get those deals. Or are you talking about Keystone the dealership, because that popped up in google also.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

Which brings me to this... Anyone know where I could get a set of brand new or damn near mint OEM style headlights for a 98-02 Camaro under 400 bucks lol?
Check it....

This is what you do. if they are just horridly fogged out... like the yellowish CRAP.... what i like to do.... (and make money off of... so keep it in the F body clan if you can please...)

it'll take you about 30 mins a headlight and some quality elbow grease. What you need to do is go to the hardware store. Get some 400 grit, 800, and 2000. You REALLY need a high speed buffer and some good polishing compound to finish this. It will look crappy otherwise.

Take the 400 and place it in the palm of your hand. I like to do my headlights in the sink, or tub, somewhere you can have a lot of constant water flow. I've noticed better results with warm water. In a back and forth motion sand the headlight for about 10 minutes with the 400, then 10 with the 800, and another 10 to 15 with the 2000.

what you are doing is literally grinding the tarnished plastic with the 400. You could do it with 2000... if you wanted to spend 3 days buffing.... the 800 also simply speeds the process BACK to being a shiny surface.... then the 2000... again... makes it even more smooth. Once you are done with this the headlights SHOULD look a sort of clear smooth white... This is where the highspeed buffer and compound really make you smile.... BRAND NEW headlights... for like 10 bucks... (assuming you can get a hold of a GOOD buffer.

The pic of my car has the process done to the headlights. they look BRAND NEW. Its up to you how much you hack up the process. but if you follow my directions... within an hour... you will have new looking headlights... My car is a 1998... and i contstantly have people asking me if its an 01-02.... LOL
Old 01-15-2010, 01:33 AM
TECH Regular

I appreciate it man, I'll give it a shot. I never tried 400 grit, didn't know I had to go that rough, but I bet it does. Yeah they're disgusting right now LOL. I have nothing to loose and I have the buffer and products. Maybe I just needed to go to a rougher grit. Only thing that concerned me is how far deep the crap is baked into the headlight. Definitely worth a shot tho, if I eff it up they sucked anyways haha.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Staging Lane

I appreciate it man, I'll give it a shot. I never tried 400 grit, didn't know I had to go that rough, but I bet it does. Yeah they're disgusting right now LOL. I have nothing to loose and I have the buffer and products. Maybe I just needed to go to a rougher grit. Only thing that concerned me is how far deep the crap is baked into the headlight. Definitely worth a shot tho, if I eff it up they sucked anyways haha.
You know... to be honest... i think i might have gone even lower... think i went to 320 on mine.... i wish mine werent tinted... then i could show ya
Old 01-15-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

nice write up....I was also looking at headlights because mine are a little fogged up...nothing too crazy where i want to spend 300+ on a new set.

I dont understand why they are so expensive though, the car isnt even made anymore and there is nothing to the headlights as it is....they are just plain reflectors for **** sake.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

They are $800 a piece for my car
Old 01-15-2010, 06:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Start with a rougher grit it really speeds it up. I spent a few hours on mine and they looked awesome. I think they have a layer of clear coat on them. You will notice as you sand through it. Make sure you get all of this coating off with the first roughing stage. If you don't go through this layer you will notice after you polished them that some areas still look foggy. It takes time but I thought mine were wasted and now they look great. I think I used 800 for my finishing grit and maybe started with 220 or so. I barely noticed a difference between the 400 and 800 grit finish so I did not see any reason to bother with 1000 grit. Also make sure you keep your sand paper wet as it plugs up real easy with plastic.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
They are $800 a piece for my car
wow.....at least they are projectors though. Still ridiculous.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nemean
You know... to be honest... i think i might have gone even lower... think i went to 320 on mine.... i wish mine werent tinted... then i could show ya
Ok, will due. These things are hideous so I'll try 320 lol. Someone should sticky that write up! Idk if that would bother you tho since you said you liked to keep it hush hush. But that's definitely informative, I appreciate it.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

While you clean up your lights, keep your eye on ebay. I picked up a mint set for $60 shipped. Yes, he was asking $50 for two MINT headlights. Plus I used the live cash back option. Probably my best buy EVER. Haha. I decided to resell those. Obviously. About a week later I picked up another mint set for $120 through ebay and used those for my car. Just save "98-02 headlights" in your ebay searches and look at the new listings frequently. You have to snag them up within minutes or they will usually be gone. You just have to get lucky..
Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,288 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I've done the whole wet sanding/buffing thing on my '02 car a couple times now. It gets hazy again though, after about a year or so of constant weather & sun exposure. Nothing ever seems to last as long as the original finish. I think there's some sort of protective coating, and once it yellows, and you sand/buff it, they just don't last as long.

I've learned it's definitely weathering that causes this issue, not age. My '98 car's headlights are as clear and perfect as glass, since it barely ever leaves the garage.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

How would it work if you did the above, then after buffing, apply a clearcoat. Then wetsand the clearcloat smooth, buff and polish.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

1....2....3... YOUR OUT!

Everything started off fine, I began to sand them, sanded a lot of extra crap off by going to a harder grit. Then went into the buffing phase. I buffed the **** out of them, and it just wouldn't clear up. So I put some more pressure on the buffer and it finally starts clearing up, then it melted the crap out of the plastic lol.

Yeah I SWEAR those cracks where all the way through the headlight it was just god awful. I gave up, and now hearing about them eventually started to fade anyways after buffing even, I think I made the right move. I found amazon.com sells them as a set for 260 bucks. That's a pretty good deal. Not nearly as good as 60! Damn, that's awesome man. Oh well, I'm happy new headlights are on the way. I get to perfect my whistler mod skills again haha.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or are OEM headlights retarded expensive?