General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Snow Driving!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drove mine all this winter so far I just I have some all seasons on and I have about 4 50 pound cinder blocks in the back. I just take my time, Next winter though I'll have full out snow tires on it.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I LOVE my car in the snow. I don't really get a choice but to drive it being it's my only car. But I run 225/60/16 winter tires on my snowflakes. I used to have some Nokian NRW's on there for the last 5 years. They dried up and now I'm running Dunlop Winter Sport M3's.

My car chews up the snow like it's not even there. I love it. I can keep traction all day long, but if I want it to slide just a touch of throttle does the trick. And you don't need weight in the back. I'm sure it'd help, but I've never put anything in my car and I've never been stuck. The worst my car has been through is probably about 8-10" of fresh snow and it plows right through.

If your winter driving, snow tires are a MUST.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

i have driven my car for the past 3 winters here in chicago no real problems only got stuck once on a back road with bald tires going through 12" of snow. as long as u know ur car u should beable to drive.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

i do and i absolutely hate it. i still have the summer tires on it though. its not that bad but getting it started on an incline is pretty much impossible.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know what tires I'm runnin, not winter tires. All weather tires. I haven't had a problem. Last year I had sand bags in the back, this year I didn't even bother. I don't drive it when theres lots of snow on the ground though. When I have gotten caught with high snow banks I haven't gotten seriously stuck or anything. Just takes seat time. Lol....
Old 02-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts

Z-rated isn't the issue. It's summer only tires vs. all season. Summer tires are beyond ridiculous in snow. Z-rated all season are ok in light snow. I've had BFG KDWS and G-force SS/AS and they do alright as long as its not more than a couple of inches.

If there's more than that, or if it's going to stay around for a while, I'll bolt Blizzaks on to the rear. They make a HUGE difference.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've driven mine in the snow plenty of times. None last year, but the the first year I had it I did since I was letting a friend borrow my Jeep. It was pretty bad, but not undriveable. Of course I was running summer rated tires on it too. I only got stuck once though, we had a heavy blizzard that dumped about 10" in an afternoon, I actually made it about 3/4 of the way home (32 miles), but a long, steep hill defeated me. I made it 3/4 to the top and lost momentum. I ended up leaving the car overnight at the CVS at the bottom of the hill, and called my friend in my Jeep to come pick me up.

I got stuck in it a few times this year too, the first time was an early snowfall and my Jeep was still up on jackstands with the rear end all apart. The 2nd time was New Year's day and I didn't know it was going to snow, luckily I got home before it really started coming down heavy. This was at 2am though, so there was nobody else on the road so the road got slick quick!

Now I just don't drive it much for fear of unexpected snow, I've put about 10 miles on it so far this month, I just took it out for a ride to put some gas in it.

I think all total I've put less than 100 miles on it so far in '10.

I agree about with having the potential to be good in the snow with narrow snow tires, that's how cars used to get around when they were all RWD back in the day. If I had to DD this in the winter that is what I would do.

Luckily I have THIS for snow:

Last edited by StuntmanMike; 02-13-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

snow sucks to drive in with a f body. but its the salt and de-icer they put on the roads that makes me cringe! that stuff if horrible on cars.

driving the car in the snow is easy compaired to working on the car in the snow. i had to stop what i was doing a few times and pick the shuvel back up so i could clear off a spot to crawl back under the car! im too impatient to wait for spring.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Warning to all southerners not accustomed to snow driving:

If you have Z rated tires, do attempt to drive in snow. Even if the tires are brand new. Not even to the end of the block to pick up a paper. You'll crash.
I can vouch for this sh*t lol, 19 years old, wrecked my formula transporting from storage to my house now everyone thinks im a shitty driver, im really not, just i didnt know they sucked THAT BAD in the snow, no horse play either, just changed lanes and boom.....no formula anymore...
Old 02-26-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by soxin2008
I can vouch for this sh*t lol, 19 years old, wrecked my formula transporting from storage to my house now everyone thinks im a shitty driver, im really not, just i didnt know they sucked THAT BAD in the snow, no horse play either, just changed lanes and boom.....no formula anymore...
I have z rated tires and my Formula is my DD. I drive in the snow all the time. It's really not that bad. At first I was terrified and thought I was going to go flying off the road at any second but it's gotten so much easier. I drove the other night with 5 inches on the streets and no plows in sight. It took me twice as long to get where I was going but I got there without incident.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Endersshadow
I have z rated tires and my Formula is my DD. I drive in the snow all the time. It's really not that bad. At first I was terrified and thought I was going to go flying off the road at any second but it's gotten so much easier. I drove the other night with 5 inches on the streets and no plows in sight. It took me twice as long to get where I was going but I got there without incident.
i was on alaska roads on the kenai peninsula, we dont use salt, just a little dirt if it gets about 6"or more, on the roads there, there is ruts down to a thin layer of ice over the pavement, over than that, your driving on about 3" or so of ice. dont.drive.there.in.february. LOL
Old 02-26-2010, 10:56 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Momentum is your friend, the gas and brake pedal are your enemy.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove my 5.0 in the snow all winter last year with sandbags in the trunk and regular street tires.

This winter were having one of the worst winters since 1978 in Nebraska with 40+ inches of snow and I have been driving my Z in it the whole time....i put 120 pounds of salt bags in the back and I have 245/50 R16 BFG Super Sports. Definitely not a snow tire but I haven't gotten stuck yet

But i must say the Z is way easier to handle in the snow than the 5.0 was....but the 5.0 was a little more fun lol
Old 02-28-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Its not the RWD part that makes these cars suck in snow like many people believe. Its the wide performance tires. If you mounted some 225/60/R15 snow tires on these cars and put a couple of bags of sand in the trunk, you'd be unstoppable.
Not quite... they won't help you when it gets really slick/icy out. I did 360s down the interstate a couple weeks ago car is ok (well, no more damage than it had already) and I was ok, just a scary ride.

May have helped if I had more weight in the back. Also, 35k miles of wear doesn't help either, I'm sure.

I've driven the Camaro 3 winters now. I'm hoping that this is the last winter I have to do that. Heck even if the roads are clear I can't see over top of the snowdrifts
Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Not quite... they won't help you when it gets really slick/icy out.
I have to disagree with that, based on my personal experiance. A high quality *true* snow/ice tire will massively out perform an all-season tire in slick conditions, and make these cars just as driveable as any other non-4x4 vehicle.

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
May have helped if I had more weight in the back. Also, 35k miles of wear doesn't help either, I'm sure.
Sounds like those were the bigger issues.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they use too much salt up here. my car came from the south and looks brand new underneath. i'd rather drive my newer car with less miles that came from up here that already has a ton of cancer on it. 99 malibu 104k miles. I plan on keeping the T/A a long time and you can't do that if you drive your car year round up here, it will rust away.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alaska

Originally Posted by soxin2008
I also live in AK, and trust me we have what the rest of the US would consider "state of emergency" snow conditions for about 6-7 months a year! I have a four wheel drive and a Z, its not worth taking the summer car out to spin doughnuts if you crash it... Good luck and take your time.... speed + snowy roads + summer tires = smashed up car. I have been there more than once.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

been driving mine all winter without any problems, i refuse to drive the farm truck i fear for my life in the rain in that thing

i have yokohama ice guards on my stock wheels 245/45/17, i dont believe they make them anymore, they are incredible in the snow and they are half bald. By half bald i mean the inside half of the tire is totally smooth (ran over-inflated for a while) and it will still get around without issue

im not runnin with any weight in the trunk either dont even have the jack or spare back there and it will still push snow with the lower air dam and not get stuck pretty amazing for a sports car if you ask me

i have driven in my g forces once in the snow and got stuck at a stop light and couldn get going again for quite some time, sorry everyone who was behind me, the car was helpless

you will definitely learn to be a better driver by driving an fbody inthe snow, and make sure your traction control is off or you will kill it alot trying to take off
Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AKz06
I also live in AK, and trust me we have what the rest of the US would consider "state of emergency" snow conditions for about 6-7 months a year! I have a four wheel drive and a Z, its not worth taking the summer car out to spin doughnuts if you crash it... Good luck and take your time.... speed + snowy roads + summer tires = smashed up car. I have been there more than once.
some one who understands lol, i hear you on everything, im in maine right now actually, so its weird being able to drive a 05 stang on march 1st lol, roads are clear here, been raining all week.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

ive only driven the camaro once in the snow (the automatic choke stopped working on my suburban that morning). the tires are pretty new riken raptors. snow storm comes in and i drive home as the white stuff is coming down. with about 5" of snow on the ground i didnt think i was going to make it up the small rolling hills of the interstate with everyone going 20-25mph. it took me 4 trys to make it up the very slight incline of my driveway.