General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How are you paying for your 4th gens?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pay a bill every month ... but I have everything under control .. I think. HAHA
Sure I have plenty of bills to pay every month but I'm a broke college kid, as soon as
I graduate hopefully that will all change.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

"safe" and "market" should never be used in the same sentance. I've lost enough money there to know better.
I haven't. It all depends on what you do and how you do it.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

I dropped cash on mine.

Now I just pay for modifications, gas, and insurance. Those are the killers.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:24 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
I haven't. It all depends on what you do and how you do it.
Then you are either a new investor or a person that's investing for long term growth and isn't bothered by short term market swings.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 196 Likes on 152 Posts

I wish I got cash-back on my Credit Card..I just got done paying it off though..so I'm going to enjoy not having that bill for a while.

I treat it as emergency money primarily..but I will buy something every now and then, then pay it back in a couple of months to help a little with my credit. I've heard that it won't matter unless I've kept a balance for over 6 months though..so I'll have to look into the specifics.

I should've said this..

Originally Posted by crazycamaro496
How are you paying for your 4th gens?
One broken part & Speeding Ticket at a time..
Old 02-20-2010, 05:06 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Took a loan from BoA and paid it off in two years.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with your post 110% I want a card to build credit, and I will have to have it for my business. It is easier and safer than cash for sure. And boy you aren't kidding about a credit card making it easier to buy parts I need it for a house for sure. The last paragraph you wrote I think is someting that every young person should read many many times. That is gold right there

mark jr.

Don't get me wrong, sounds like you're on a great path. But, there are some good things about credit cards. It's much easier/safer than carring cash, and makes ordering parts on the net much easier too. I'm not a fan of debit cards at all, I don't like people putting their hands directly into my account.

Also, if you get a card with cash back options, you can actually make money on the deal. Case in point, I've had my primary credit card for over 10 years now, and I purposely charge as much of my daily expenses as I can on that card. Now, I pay the amount in full each month, and have never once carried a balance on that card - but each year I've earned between $100-200 in cash back. So it's been about $1,500 in free money over the last decade. Nothing huge, but still, had I paid cash for all that stuff I'd have $1500 less to my name.

The trick with credit cards is to avoid the feeling that it's not real money that you're spending. I treat it like a debit card, meaning that I don't make a charge that I can't cover with the money currently sitting in my account. That way, I never have to worry about how I'll pay it off. Follow that path, and you'll NEVER get in trouble with credit cards.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

I got my car when it was only about 5 years old, so I had no problems getting the money to get the car. Caught a deal on it too from the dealer so that helped big time.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

im 19 and got a 5% for four yrs on up to like 12k only used it for 8 tho through my local cu- got it in nov 09- be paid off next month tho
Old 02-20-2010, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93batmobile
I envy you. Hey at least mine will be paid off 10 days before "the world ends"
10 days to enjoy being free. then you die lol
Old 02-20-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

Cash straight up thats how ive bought 4 out of 6 of my camaros. but you could also find a trustworthy friend in the military that could hook you up.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cash straight up thats how ive bought 4 out of 6 of my camaros. but you could also find a trustworthy friend in the military that could hook you up.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Teching In

I went through my local Credit Union and paid it off 6 years ago. My other cars I switched to Pentagon Federal Credit Union. Got my interest rates at 4% through them.

Chris
Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

cash

i am not a big fan of borrowing money
Old 02-21-2010, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

If people use cash for everything then how is your credit supposed to improve? Im military and I got in a little money issues as a civilian and as a young airman but my wife (GF at the time) helped me clean it up. We never got turned down for a loan we own a house too. My credit is way better. Of topic I bought my Z brand new @26K using my wife GM family thing at the time and interest was 5%. My SS I bought used for 18K in 04' and interest I believe was lower. Maybe its just luck of the draw or it could be your bank. I use USAA. Good luck though oh dont refinance either just get rid of the note asap. Use your tax returns etc. Suffer now enjoy yourself later.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

/\ i cant get **** being in the military i made a big mistake when i first joined at 17 got all those credit cards and screwed my credit. it went from like a 780 or something like that super high down to a 458. and now im around a 550 right now. bringing it back up. so everything is cash for me. just trying to get everything caught up then ill do stuff to raise it. i have a personal loan through pioneer bank its a military loan they set up and allotment but those ****** charged me 32% interest. OUCH!!!! paying back 2500 on a 1500 dollar loan
Old 02-21-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought mine on a credit card in 2004. I used one of those 3.99% interest checks for the life of the loan. unfortunately i had a $200 high interest cash advance behind it that i had to get a few months before i bought the car, i should have paid that off first, oops. i later switched it all to a different 0% card for a while to get the $300 (yeah it ballooned up a bit) high interest stuff out in front and paid off and then switched it back to the 3.99 for life after the 0% ran out. I don't think they do that anymore though but i never had a lien on my car although i carry full coverage on it to this day some 6 years later. i've been debt free since jan 08 when i paid off a student loan.

That "highest interest gets paid off first" thing would have helped me a LOT back then.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 02-21-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
/\ i cant get **** being in the military i made a big mistake when i first joined at 17 got all those credit cards and screwed my credit. it went from like a 780 or something like that super high down to a 458. and now im around a 550 right now. bringing it back up. so everything is cash for me. just trying to get everything caught up then ill do stuff to raise it. i have a personal loan through pioneer bank its a military loan they set up and allotment but those ****** charged me 32% interest. OUCH!!!! paying back 2500 on a 1500 dollar loan
Have you ever pulled your credit report through all three credit reporters? If not I would for sure do that. My ex wife at one point time opted not to pay for medical bills for my son and it went to collection. But, because I'm the military sponsor it hit my credit and was jacking me up. I also had someones bankruptcy on my credit report along with other loans that didn't belong to me. I've since cleaned up my credit report.....but, for awhile there it was painful. Definitely recommend pulling your credit report and scrubbing it for things that shouldn't be there. Good luck with that.

Chris
Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 AM
SMS
Staging Lane

I've never taken a vehicle loan to buy a car older than 5 years.

But here's something you might be able to do, if you have great credit:

Back when I bought my Nova, I had received an offer from my Visa card company. They were offering a cash line of credit for up to my credit limit (think it was $10.5k) at 2.9%, locked in rate for the life of the loan. Now, I had the cash to pay for the car without this loan, but my cash was in an account earning 4.25%, so it only made sense to take the loan at a lower interest rate. So I got as much of the money as I could from that deal, and paid the rest in my own cash. Worked out great, I'd do this again in a heartbeat. However, credit is much tighter these days, so good luck finding a CC company that's willing to give you $10k in cash for 2.9% life-time locked in rate.
I used to receive those offers 3-4 times a month up until "The Great Recession". Unfortunately, those days of cheap, easy credit are gone. These days I operate on a cash only basis. If I don't have the cash, I don't buy it, especially a toy.

With the exception of a mortgage, getting out of credit card debt and car payments is one of the best things a person can do. The thing is, once you are out of debt and constant payments, you can save up cash very quickly and never need to charge things. You must be able to resist the "I must have it NOW!" urge though.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
Oh man get rid of that pioneer garbage as soon as possible. There was an article on those guys in my base paper once and how they feed on jr enlisted because we dont get paid that much. I did use them once though so I am guilty. I took a short TDY to UK made some money and paid them off as soon as I got back. That high interest stuff is a rip off. I steer all my subordinates away from that.

You gotta save though. Out of all of the guys I supervised only one listened to me. He actually put away atleast $200 per month most times more after paying off his debt once he got back from a deployment. He did that for 3 years and also threw his tax returns into that savings account. WHen he returned to the states he bought his own house and got a new car. But he took my words of suffer now be happy later. His credit is good to go now too.
You can always check your credit like once a year. Dont try and get a loan for every thing too! If you get turned down I believe that is a knock down on your credit. Even watch those sneaky car salesman too they will try and do that ****.
Bottom line is that its all discipline. You cant always have what you want. When you want it. That sucks but it will always be there. You will be able to find it later or a newer version will come out. So you might as well suck it up and pay your debts cut drinking to 2 weekends a month instead of 4. Stay home and study for a promotion instead. I've done it so its not impossible.