General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Argument time.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010 | 04:21 AM
Teching In

Default Argument time.

J/k. Please don't let this start a war.

I will be selling my 05 Subaru WRX soon and looking into purchasing a new car. Now I'm kinda torn between 2 cars and who better to ask? The first choice is an 05-06 GTO, second would be a first generation CTS-V. Drag times are not the big thing for me, I don't even know where the closest strip is and refuse street racing. I love the way they both look, both of 'em make my already fugly duckling WRX look terrible, imo. Since they will be driven fairly regularly, my audio is a big part of my decision, seems to be quite a bit easier to do an iPod on a V than a Goat. Anyone ever heard the stock systems one right after the other, huge difference?

I know both cars are not the perfect candidates for auto-x, but handling and braking are what really get the blood pumping imho. I have looked and can't really find a good comparison between the two cars together, so I go through past articles in mag's, etc. Acceleration and handling numbers seem to be pretty close. Is there a huge difference in price on modifications? Simple ones mostly, Intake, exhaust, headers, etc.

Mind went blank, more questions will be come around soon enough.
Old 02-25-2010 | 05:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

I strongly believe that the 8 speaker Bose Sound system in the first Gen V is one of the best systems ever put in a GM.

The V was built for turns and it shows, it will outhandle a goat in stock form fairly easy. Stock 4 piston brembos with 14 inch rotors all the way around as well. Another one of the better braking systems GM put on a car.

I think there is more of an aftermarket for the goat, but your still dealing with an LS6 or LS2 in a V. Headers are a bit more expensive but there are still options. One thing about the V is catbacks and CAI are good for very little gains due to the already well built stock systems.

Fromw hat you desrcibed i'd go with the V all the way. But I own one so im a little bias. Dont forget it has heated seats, Navigation with DVD etc.
Old 02-25-2010 | 05:53 AM
Teching In

I noticed it says you have sways and springs, did they make a big difference? I didn't realize the V had the 1-4 shift also, pretty easy to install the cable to eliminate that?

Definitely not easy to find wheels at a fair price for this beast. Good thing I like the stockies, although I found the ones on wheeldude.com don't look bad and I know quite a few people that have people wheels from them for WRX's,etc. $1300 for a set of four isn't bad at all. I prefer to have 2 different sets of wheels, 1 for show and 1 for go, but not really into the rolling on 20" chrome wheels. So the 19's on there look good. I'll have to go check them out at the shop.

Thank you for the info.
Old 02-25-2010 | 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't really have much experience with the CTS-V, but I know a thing or two about the GTO. The GTO's suspension is somewhat sloppy. That being said, with a couple of mods the GTO handles pretty well.

Both cars are extremely comfortable. I really don't think you would be dissapointed in either one.

I don't think either car would compete with a WRX on an auto-x course. The WRX is very nimble, and the AWD really helps it out in those tight corners. On a road course, I think they would dominate the WRX. They would be able to use brute power to pull away in the straights.

As for getting rid of skip shift... that is easy. Very cheap, and just a few minutes worth of work.
Old 02-25-2010 | 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Interesting comparasion. Usually it's Corvette vs. F-body vs. GTO.

Nice to see a slightly different thread for a change.

Out of these two, I'd pick the GTO (have to be an '05-'06 with the LS2 though). I don't care much for the look of first gen CTS-Vs, plus I always prefer a 2-door car. Now, if you were comparing the GTO to a newer CTS-V, that's a whole different story.
Old 02-25-2010 | 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

since your not going to be racing the car at all that makes this a hard decision. one good thing about the gto is that it will be much cheaper. as far as dd ride quality i say they would be pretty even. and if you bought the ls2 gto im sure it would be a tad quicker as well. one thing to think about is resale. if you plan on changing cars in 2 years the cts will hold value better. and also think about 4 doors. whether or not you always have people with you.
Old 02-25-2010 | 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP, based on what YOU'RE looking for in your new car, I say go CTS-V for sure.
Old 02-25-2010 | 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Test drive both and see what you like more.
Old 02-25-2010 | 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just get the vette
Old 02-25-2010 | 01:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 99bowtieZ
Just get the vette
LOL. That wasn't an option.
Old 02-25-2010 | 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

x2 vette!

seriously it sounds like the cts-v would fit your needs best.
Old 02-25-2010 | 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

sways are sitting in the basement, i just put the springs on the other day. You can tell a little difference but the car handles so well in stock form you wont see a huge benefit until you hit a road course, thats when the sways stand out. Wheel dudes wheels are also cast which are even heavier then stockers but the best alternative for the money if its just for looks. test drive both and see which you like, as far as price, depending on mileage they arent too far apart but i thinkt he V offers more of what your looking for as much as i like the GTO.
Old 02-26-2010 | 01:03 AM
Teching In

'Vette, lol. I don't even wanna know what my insurance would be and 'Vettes around here are like Honda civic's, they're everywhere, 40 something's trying to be young again. Don't get me wrong if I could go out tomorrow and buy a C6 Z06 or ZR1 I would be there in a heartbeat.

They had a GM test drive event in the area a couple of years ago and I drove both the V and the Goat the same day. The V was not even a consideration at that point in time, so it impressed, but was not what I was looking for. Instant love for the GTO, but opinions and ways of life have changed a bit.

I'll go test drive again, I like messing with dealerships anyways, really fun if you have experience selling cars.That was the most fun but annoying and frustrating job I ever had.

There is two on Craigslist that are up for sale from private parties, but getting a test drive from them w/o money in hand is difficult. The GTO was really tempting. CAI, CARB legal headers, Corsa Cat-back and 100 shot nitrous. The nitro would be sold immediately 'cuz I know I'd get in trouble.

Last edited by tc95050; 02-26-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2010 | 01:19 AM
Teching In

Whichever of these two I pick it will be different experience for me. Due to medical issues, drivers license came later in life than most people. But I have been a car freak all my life, I could say hot wheels before I started asking for food!

It's time to join the General and experience the sound I've always loved. I'm thinking whichever gets picked it will be part of the family for a long time. So I will continue my research 'til the day of purchase.

Sorry for going on and on. Keep the opinions coming please.
Old 02-26-2010 | 01:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Juicy J
I don't really have much experience with the CTS-V, but I know a thing or two about the GTO. The GTO's suspension is somewhat sloppy. That being said, with a couple of mods the GTO handles pretty well.

Both cars are extremely comfortable. I really don't think you would be dissapointed in either one.

I don't think either car would compete with a WRX on an auto-x course. The WRX is very nimble, and the AWD really helps it out in those tight corners. On a road course, I think they would dominate the WRX. They would be able to use brute power to pull away in the straights.

As for getting rid of skip shift... that is easy. Very cheap, and just a few minutes worth of work.
The auto-x won't be a common occurrence, just to have some fun and meet up with friends some times. If I do the auto-x regularly, I'll go buy a cheap Miata and due some mods, lol. Yeah, my Rex definitely does not have the low end lb/ft to pull away after the corner on any road course. Turbo lag sucks. Time for push-rod V8 grunt.

Yeah, I was told by another person the GTO had a pretty sloppy suspension largely due to being secured down coming over on the boat from Australia. Springs, sways and new shocks are easy enough.
Old 02-26-2010 | 02:45 AM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

I've been thinking about getting a CTSV..I'm starting to look for comfort and performance, and them cars are nice.
Old 02-26-2010 | 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
I've been thinking about getting a CTSV..I'm starting to look for comfort and performance, and them cars are nice.
Really... Last week you wanted a V6 roller car to put your motor in. The week before that you wanted a corvette. Now you want a ctsv???? You don't know what you want boy, your worse than my wife. Let me tell you what you want. You want to keep your crappy old shoe box with a big engine because it makes you happy. Drive it somewhere to get you a whine burger and some french cries....lol. J/K.
To the op, I'd say ctsv if its going to be more of a daily driver. That and the GTO is kinda fugly...just my .02
Old 02-26-2010 | 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

V all the way
Old 02-26-2010 | 09:53 AM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Really... Last week you wanted a V6 roller car to put your motor in. The week before that you wanted a corvette. Now you want a ctsv???? You don't know what you want boy, your worse than my wife. Let me tell you what you want. You want to keep your crappy old shoe box with a big engine because it makes you happy. Drive it somewhere to get you a whine burger and some french cries....lol. J/K.
To the op, I'd say ctsv if its going to be more of a daily driver. That and the GTO is kinda fugly...just my .02
You are going to be callin 9 wah wah for the whamulance when I bust you *** with a CTSV..
Old 02-26-2010 | 05:52 PM
Teching In

^ LOL.

This place cracks me up. Best car forum I've been part of yet.