General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pennzoil Ultra...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put some on my car last week.

so far so good car running good. i was going to do the typical PP but decided to give ultra a try.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I've had good luck with PP, and it's on sale pretty often to boot...last time I got it for $3.50/qt at Oreilly's on sale
Do you ever make it to sams ?

It's cheap as hell up there....
Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil will not say what M1 is made of. Their silence is deafening.

Highly refined Gr-III oil can be called synthetic, even though it isn't fully made of the things you and I would think of when we say the word. Many have asked Mobil what they put in their M1, but again, they are not forthcoming.

M1 is still a good oil. It consistently reads a little high in iron, but maintains good analysis numbers in all the other metals. You can't go wrong using it. But, is it worth the price? That's up to you. If it's a personal thing that you expect "synthetic" when the bottle says "synthetic," you'll be disappointed. But if you're looking for a good oil that is consistent and easy to find, then you'll be ok. It has some real synthetic in it (how much is anyone's guess), but has not been real, actual synthetic for some time. The same thing could be said of all the other commonly found "synthetic" motor oils. Some may be all highly refined Gr-III, others have various amounts of Gr-IV. You would have to play detective on each grade/type.

One of the reasons GC is sought after is that European standards dictate that it must be made of (what we all think of when we say...) synthetic.

However, upon final review, the oils we have to chose from are all pretty good oils. Just don't spend outrageous prices on what may not be an outrageously good oil. Price is decidedly NOT the indicator of a good oil.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 09CPTN
Yeah, I run GC. It's usually only available at Auto Zone, and only certain ones. I've never had a problem with it though. 0W-30.
I bought some recently at Auto Zone & it was pretty expensive, $7.49 a quart. Last year it was $6.49. I might wanna start shopping wally world as the Zone is getting rediculously high on there oil prices, compared to prices I have seen at other auto parts stores. I am running PP since last year, I wanted to try the GC out but I may go back to PP cuz it appears it is a very good oil & its pretty cheap at wally world.

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
Ahh Crap. Well Ill just buy some Pennziol platenium or some pennziol Ultra, drain the Mobil 1 from my Camaro and put it into my Firebird. Than put some on that PP or PU into my Camaro cause I don't want to be taking any risks with her.

I run my camaro pretty hard and dont' want to be running into unnecassary trouble or unneeded wear and tear. My Firebird I worry less about, she can take a beating and seems to be always ticking. Besides, you can buy 3.8l v6's for 500 bucks with less than 40k miles.
Dude your a lil too paranoid. Its not gonna hurt your motor. Just change it in 3000 miles.

Last edited by flintwrench69; 04-03-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use the germany castrol

Quick Reply: Pennzoil Ultra...