General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pennzoil Ultra...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pennzoil Ultra...

Has anyone heard anything about the new Pennzoil ultra? I work at a quicklube place and we had a rep come in yesterday and try and get us to promote it. Its not on there website or anything...was wondering if anyone had any insider info if its better than platinum.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC...0911241744.pdf
From quick look around on google it looks like it should be better than pp.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had good luck with PP, and it's on sale pretty often to boot...last time I got it for $3.50/qt at Oreilly's on sale
Old 02-26-2010, 03:20 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just used it in my last oil change. Costs about a buck more per quart than Platinum. Was it worth it, beats me...........but it did make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside; in a figurative sense that is.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I remember Pennzoil Platinum receiving good reviews on bitog. I've used it a couple of times. However, I haven't heard anything about Pennzoil Ultra.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Only thing I've seen is that it cleans sludge 35% better than platinum. I use platinum and love it.

Wait for some oil test before I consider switching.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i hear that stuff is good.... i am also curious on the new castrol edge as well.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I've had good luck with PP, and it's on sale pretty often to boot...last time I got it for $3.50/qt at Oreilly's on sale

That's a pretty decent price. PP went up to $23 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart. I'll have to keep my eyes open around O'reilly's, we just had one open up in town last summer.

Also, I was just at Wally World yesterday. They have the Pennzoil Ultra in 5 quart jugs for $28.

I'm scheduled to change my oil in April. Still have a jug of PP in the garage. I always keep one oil change ahead.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

PP is really a good oil. This I would assume is going to have little more TBN so hopefully longer OCI's.

I used PP in my 3400, but just got about 40 quarts of edge, cause they got it on sale for 29.99 with a kn or bosch 14 dollar oil filter(Check local auto parts)
Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Haven't heard anything about the PP, but I too just got the Castrol Edge 5W-30, $29.99 for 5 qts with a Bosch Distance Plus oil filter. I don't like the fact that Mobile 1 is no longer a full synthetic.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullhead00
Haven't heard anything about the PP, but I too just got the Castrol Edge 5W-30, $29.99 for 5 qts with a Bosch Distance Plus oil filter. I don't like the fact that Mobile 1 is no longer a full synthetic.
WHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAT. I haven't heard anything about this, I just changed my oil with Mobil 1 sythetic 10w-30 with a Mobil 1 filter that advertised 99.6% efficiency. Did I just waste 50 dollars?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
WHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAT. I haven't heard anything about this, I just changed my oil with Mobil 1 sythetic 10w-30 with a Mobil 1 filter that advertised 99.6% efficiency. Did I just waste 50 dollars?
I would say so. Do some research on it. Mobile 1 (and I'm new to this stuff too) is no longer a full synthetic. I payed $48.12 after taxes for 7 qts of CE WITH the Bosch Distance Plus oil filter. And from what I understand, Edge is a class IV synthetic, while Mobile 1 is a class III.

Edit: and the Bosch filter has 99.9% efficiency.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bullhead00
I would say so. Do some research on it. Mobile 1 (and I'm new to this stuff too) is no longer a full synthetic. I payed $48.12 after taxes for 7 qts of CE WITH the Bosch Distance Plus oil filter. And from what I understand, Edge is a class IV synthetic, while Mobile 1 is a class III.

Edit: and the Bosch filter has 99.9% efficiency.
Ahh Crap. Well Ill just buy some Pennziol platenium or some pennziol Ultra, drain the Mobil 1 from my Camaro and put it into my Firebird. Than put some on that PP or PU into my Camaro cause I don't want to be taking any risks with her.

I run my camaro pretty hard and dont' want to be running into unnecassary trouble or unneeded wear and tear. My Firebird I worry less about, she can take a beating and seems to be always ticking. Besides, you can buy 3.8l v6's for 500 bucks with less than 40k miles.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran Mobil 1 extended performance in my LS1, and after doing the 1 year change interval, I had black sludge on my oil bolt. Never had that problem with Royal Purple, even when the car sat for a year and a half when I was deployed overseas.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Ahh Crap. Well Ill just buy some Pennziol platenium or some pennziol Ultra, drain the Mobil 1 from my Camaro and put it into my Firebird. Than put some on that PP or PU into my Camaro cause I don't want to be taking any risks with her.

I run my camaro pretty hard and dont' want to be running into unnecassary trouble or unneeded wear and tear. My Firebird I worry less about, she can take a beating and seems to be always ticking. Besides, you can buy 3.8l v6's for 500 bucks with less than 40k miles.
Be careful about what you read on internet forums and do your own research. Why one person found sludge in there motor or why someone else feels like its inferior compared to what there using in there car I take with a grain of salt. You have no idea whats going on with there car. Mobil 1 is advertised as a fully synthetic motor oil so until I read something from a trusted source that says it isn't I'll continue to use it. Not knocking Platinum or ultra or anybody elses oil for that matter. As long as you change your oil at regular intervals I can't see why you would have a problem. I change my oil every 3k miles. Expensive? maybe but my engine is worth it. I don't buy this 5K or yearly engine oil change for a minute. If it was a honda or toyota maybe but not a high performance engine like the LS1. Especially if your gonna beat on it like I do. Anybody that does that to one of these cars is playing russian rulet with there engine IMO. This car has had Mobil 1 in it since I've owned it and it's the same engine oil the owner before me used in it. Today the car has 180K on the clock and I have outrun other LS1 cars with a whole lot less miles then mine.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Saw it for 28 bucks at Walmart the other day...have an oil change coming up i think im gonna give it a try.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lethal Z
Be careful about what you read on internet forums and do your own research. Why one person found sludge in there motor or why someone else feels like its inferior compared to what there using in there car I take with a grain of salt. You have no idea whats going on with there car. Mobil 1 is advertised as a fully synthetic motor oil so until I read something from a trusted source that says it isn't I'll continue to use it. Not knocking Platinum or ultra or anybody elses oil for that matter. As long as you change your oil at regular intervals I can't see why you would have a problem. I change my oil every 3k miles. Expensive? maybe but my engine is worth it. I don't buy this 5K or yearly engine oil change for a minute. If it was a honda or toyota maybe but not a high performance engine like the LS1. Especially if your gonna beat on it like I do. Anybody that does that to one of these cars is playing russian rulet with there engine IMO. This car has had Mobil 1 in it since I've owned it and it's the same engine oil the owner before me used in it. Today the car has 180K on the clock and I have outrun other LS1 cars with a whole lot less miles then mine.
You sir reinforced my thought of changing the oil with something better. Although I can tell you were trying to sway me into keeping the oil. Fact Is, If theres any doubt (from anyone) that mobil 1 isn't fully synthetic anymore, I need to drain that crap now cause all I do in my camaro is floor it and beat her til she moans for me to stop. I rag on the bitch til my tranny is at 160+ degrees. Plus, whats 50 bucks? Nothing when I'm protecting a couple grand in parts. So out goes mobil 1, in goes PP or PU. Though I'll still buy the mobil 1 filter for its efficency.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

You sir reinforced my thought of changing the oil with something better. Although I can tell you were trying to sway me into keeping the oil. Fact Is, If theres any doubt (from anyone) that mobil 1 isn't fully synthetic anymore, I need to drain that crap now cause all I do in my camaro is floor it and beat her til she moans for me to stop. I rag on the bitch til my tranny is at 160+ degrees. Plus, whats 50 bucks? Nothing when I'm protecting a couple grand in parts. So out goes mobil 1, in goes PP or PU. Though I'll still buy the mobil 1 filter for its efficency.
Well if you're going to do that, check and see if you can find German Castrol. It is the undisputed champ of synthetic oils on here.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I run GC. It's usually only available at Auto Zone, and only certain ones. I've never had a problem with it though. 0W-30.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I picked some up today, I'm going to give it a try this week. It took 3 years to develope and its suppose to clean alot better then there platinum. There's several reviews and info on the Google

Quick Reply: Pennzoil Ultra...