General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

C5 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Corvette

I was looking at possibly buying a C5 vette, mostly because they look sweet, and are less than half that of a C6.

Now I was wondering what I should be aware of when looking at cars, if there are any big things to watch for.

Another thing I had a question about was do they have have wheel hop because for the independent suspension?

thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

C5 Vettes are sweet cars and there are definitely good deals out there to be had. Especially compared to C6s. As far as things to look for, definitely look closely at the engine/transmission for wierd noises or oil leaks. Check the dipstick for both (if automatic) and look at the color of the fluids to see if they have been doing regular maintenance. But that goes for any car. Theres people on here that know more about the wheel hop and other issues directly related to the C5. Hope this helps a little and, Good luck!!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Yeah. Two months graduating school, so want a toy to basically congratulate myself. Looking at either a C5 or getting a WS6. Love the look of both cars. Basically will come down to which one I find first (one that I actually like) and if there is a decent price.

Swaying more towards a WS6 just because of the two back seats though.

both sweet cars though

Originally Posted by NastyNate65
C5 Vettes are sweet cars and there are definitely good deals out there to be had. Especially compared to C6s. As far as things to look for, definitely look closely at the engine/transmission for wierd noises or oil leaks. Check the dipstick for both (if automatic) and look at the color of the fluids to see if they have been doing regular maintenance. But that goes for any car. Theres people on here that know more about the wheel hop and other issues directly related to the C5. Hope this helps a little and, Good luck!!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Launching!

The back seats are pretty small, especially if the person in front is 6 foot or taller. Basically its usually uncomfortable with more than 2 people in the car. Idk if youve ridden or seen the back seats before. Anyways if thats your only real reason to get the WS6, I would personally take another look at both of them....just my opinion. Dont get me wrong I wish i had a WS6, as well as a C5. Good luck and post some pics with whatever you get!!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Not to worried about the room in the back seats to much. Its not really the only reason, but really think the WS6 looks mean as h**l, but then again the C5 looks sweet too...but I dont think they have the mean factor as the ws6. But a vette is a vette though.

Originally Posted by NastyNate65
The back seats are pretty small, especially if the person in front is 6 foot or taller. Basically its usually uncomfortable with more than 2 people in the car. Idk if youve ridden or seen the back seats before. Anyways if thats your only real reason to get the WS6, I would personally take another look at both of them....just my opinion. Dont get me wrong I wish i had a WS6, as well as a C5. Good luck and post some pics with whatever you get!!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you more into drag racing or hitting the twisties? That will be the deciding factor for which car would suit you better.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JLoosh
Not to worried about the room in the back seats to much. Its not really the only reason, but really think the WS6 looks mean as h**l, but then again the C5 looks sweet too...but I dont think they have the mean factor as the ws6. But a vette is a vette though.
WS6s definitely look way sicker. The vettes just have the clean sleek badass look that turns a lot of heads. Honestly thats a tough decision to make
Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

I would probably do more drag racing as of now, dont know alot of twisties to play in around here, so WS6 may suit me better now.

Could always get the WS6 now, then in a year or two get the C5....girl may not like that but owell....

I know I want one or the other here soon, mostly to save money in driving distances....WS6 or C5 = 20-30mpg cruising, Truck=13-14 at best. Plus the whole fun factor when I want it.

How well do the F-bodies handle? My cousin has a 95 camaro, but thats set up more for drag racing than anything.

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
Are you more into drag racing or hitting the twisties? That will be the deciding factor for which car would suit you better.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F-body handling pretty much sucks IMO without suspension mods. That is why I have the Koni/Strano stuff in my sig.....
Old 03-01-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

My vote would be WS6 with a few light mods(suspension and power) and call it a day, altho good C5s can be gad for around 13-16k depending on where you are, if you DONT need a backseat and might have kids later on, get the Vette now, it'll be harder to swing with the mrs's later on....

On a side note, I remember taking my WS6 in for an oil change in 03 and right beside it in the serv advisor area was a C5 coupe, hands down the WS6 takes it!!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id look at c5 z06s. i think theyre great cars for what theyre going for.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since you're more into drag racing, I vote WS6.

F-bodies handle ok. However, with a set of Koni single adjustable shock and some Strano springs, they handle pretty dang good.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

I havent had much luck finding a c5z for a decent price

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
id look at c5 z06s. i think theyre great cars for what theyre going for.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

How expensive are those?

And is it bad to install them?

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
Since you're more into drag racing, I vote WS6.

F-bodies handle ok. However, with a set of Koni single adjustable shock and some Strano springs, they handle pretty dang good.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JLoosh
How expensive are those?

And is it bad to install them?

Shocks and springs are easy to install (depending on your experience level) and will run you about 900 konis and I think 300 springs, and dont forget sway bars about 400 but all that will make an F-body handle pretty well, but like someone else said, "a vette is a vette" also keep your eye on the classifieds and you can get some deals.

It's a tough decision and I've thought about it a lot with my SS. A vette is lighter and ready to race out the box either drag, auto x, road racing, not much needs to be done, tires, brake pads and fluid and you can run a road race. It also is more exclusive as a collector car. You do lose the back seat and "trunk area" of the F body. And again it's a Vette!

The F body isnt going to get as much respect depending on the crowd but you have the back seat and although small, you can squeeze some people there if you need to, or least put some gear, plus the trunk space is decent too, the vette just has the deck space and not much of it. I think the F bodies need more work no matter if it going to be a drag car (tires, suspension, rear axle, shifter plus whatever engine mods) or road race/auto x (tires, suspension, brakes, shifter, drivetrain, etc).

Just listing things I thought about while deciding to stick with my F body or move on to a vette, so take it for what it's worth.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both, and love both for different reasons. I can tell you that the C5 'vert is just badass, plain and simple. Totally different feel than the WS.6. I get in the WS.6 and it feels like a barge, LOL. But I love it, too.

If you do look at a C5, you can pull the trouble codes off the DIC on the dash, which is a plus. There's some common issues with the C5s...mainly ABS module, turn signal flasher, and dim climate display. These are all fairly easy and inexpensive fixes. Head over to the C5 section on Corvette Forum and have a look around, if you think you might go that route. Be prepared to pay more on average for mods such as air intake, headers, catback, etc. The "Corvette Tax" as we call it, LOL.

The WS.6 is a great choice as well...I'm on my second. Easier to work on, cheaper, cheaper parts. Can't go wrong with either. Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
My vote would be WS6 with a few light mods(suspension and power) and call it a day, altho good C5s can be gad for around 13-16k depending on where you are, if you DONT need a backseat and might have kids later on, get the Vette now, it'll be harder to swing with the mrs's later on....
basically what i was going to say.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

One thing to watch out for on C5s is the evil steering column lock! My dad had a 2000 C5 M6 and that stupid column lock gave us no end of trouble and could (and did) leave us stranded more than a few times.

My advice to you is:

when you put the key in the ignition, if you get a message on the DIC says "Pull Key, Wait 10 sec", be alert. If you put it in again and the DIC says "service column lock" be even more wary of that car.

Also pull the codes from the DIC and see if there are any relating to the lock mechanism.

Also ask the owner if the recall has been done for it. If not, I would stay away from that car.

There are mods to fix this, but I don't know how reliable they are.

Dont get me wrong, the C5 is an AMAZING car and hopefully I will be in the market for an M6 C5 in a few years. Just need more $$$

Good luck with your search!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

the only thing I have noticed lately is everyone selling firebirds or trans ams have very very wishful thinking with the pricing. If I want to pay that much for one, why not spend alittle more and get the C5. Im not even talking about like looking at the WS6, just the base model with the ls1 in general most are asking to much.

Owell ill just keep looking i guess, gives me something to do
Old 03-25-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

I was also considering a Vette, my only issue is that it feels to tight. I am only 5'10" but it feels so tight and cramped.

A f body is no Cadilac, but it is roomier then I Vette. That was my deciding factor, kinda. I was also the same way, what ever I find first in the condition I want.

Quick Reply: C5 Corvette