General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Hagerty/Collector Car Insurance??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Good post ZigZagZ. Insurance companies are not your friend. There are always exceptions but it is not the 'norm'.
They are a business, just like any other. But, a good insurance company will take care of it's customer's, just like any other good business.

I've had nothing but great experiances with State Farm over the last ~15 years I've had them. I've filed claims over the years, none of the accidents were ever my fault but on a couple the other party didn't have any insurance so mine had to cover my bill, yet still they have never raised my rates.

Only reason why I don't have my Nova and '98 Z covered by SF is simply because they won't vaule these cars at their true worth (and/or, cover my total investment). And the fact that I don't want to pay rates that cover unlimited daily driving useage of cars that only see 1k to 2k miles per year.

Like someone said above, it's important to have the proper insurance to meet your situation. And if it's a respectable company (which both of mine have proven to be), they will honor their responsibility to their customers. That's what it really comes down to.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Book value has no bearing on collector car insurance. It's usually based on agreed value or appraised value.

But there are restrictions. You cannot use the car for daily driving, commuting, etc. There is no specific mileage restriction, but it can only be used for pleasure driving or car shows/events. It cannot be your only car, and it must be stored in a garage when not in use. This is not the sort of policy you want if you intend to daily drive the car during the summer months.
I have Hagerty and its somewhat the same except I think they limit the mileage to 5000 a year + or - alittle. I put a value on my car of 18k with no deductable and I also have towing ect. on my 4 other cars that I have(within 250 miles). My rate is right around 450 a year.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am in the process of switching myself. The thing I was in shock about was when I went to get an estimate to get my OEM SS hood painted, chips and stuff, they told me how much an actual hood would cost. Over $2000 for an OEM hood, and close to $1500 for an SS Spoiler, oem.

I need to tell my insurance agents this, and if you have an SS be aware. A minor fender bender could result in a totaled vehicle... Just curious if anyone else is aware of this. Thanks for all the help with collector info by the way, have a good weekend.

-JT
Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

In simple terms collector car insurance seems like a great deal. From my talks with them it seems to good to be true. To me though it just seems like their is alot of gray areas to get screwed over.

Perhaps you wanted to take the car one day to work to show it off? What is something happens?

Suppose your Daily driver breaks down and you gotta drive your car for say a week and something happens.

I dunno, I would love to go with haggerty or grundy but it scares me a little.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by litemup02
Another thing about grundy that they sent back to me... "Unfortunately we cannot insure collector vehicles that are newer than your
primary transportation vehicles. " Camaro is an 02 and i daily drive a 2000 Xtreme. Load of **** if you ask me! I would understand if i said i was driving an 81 honda

They don't what your "older" DD breaking down, then you pressing your Collectible into DD servive.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by knightryda01
Perhaps you wanted to take the car one day to work to show it off? What is something happens?

During sunny summer days, I will drive my TA to work. But, it's only 3 1/2 miles, we have a huge parking lot, and I park at the far end in "Muscle Car Row". No one else parks there except myself, the Vette drivers, and that Mustang guy( 64 and 66 Mustangs, I think). Everyone leaves plenty of room between cars, and each of us has our own "spot". Sort of an unspoken agreement.

Some days it looks like a muscle car show at that end.

I've thought about getting collectible insurance, but I really like having a local agent to interact with.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by ZigZagZ
Judging by the equipment in your signature, it looks like your insurance agent likes you alot.
Oh yeah, I am treated well but pay plenty. I still wonder what 'hassle' I would get if I totaled something. So far only 'minor' claims like cracked windshields and I hope it stays that way. By the way, guess which car costs the most to insure? Yup, the T/A.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I dunno, I would love to go with haggerty or grundy but it scares me a little.
It scares me to have normal DD insurance on cars that are worth several times their book value.

Suppose your Daily driver breaks down and you gotta drive your car for say a week and something happens.
This would never happen in my case. I would rent a car before I would put either of my "collector" cars into daily service. These are rain/snow free cars.

This type of insurance is really only for those of us that use these cars strictly for pleasure driving only.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Well I've talked to Hagerty and emailed them. My car gets driven too much (7000k annually). They said they typically look for cars driven about half that.

I decided to email them today as I've been considering buying another car for a DD and put less miles on mine, but I had a few questions. I put my car on storage insurance for nearly 6 months during the winter, so I'm only paying for 6 months of insurance on my car, plus a little bit over the winter. Hagerty does not offer storage insurance, so it really would not save me much anyways.

But for those of you who would like to know, I asked them about the occasional drive to work or running errands, and this is what they answered:

"While we can look to accommodate the occasional drive to work, we would need additional information regarding where the vehicle would be kept, the security of the garaging or storage, and who would have access to the vehicle. Due to the nature of our policies we are unable to provide coverage for vehicles that are regularly used to drive to work, run errands, or any other similar back-up or regular-use transportation."
Old 03-16-2010, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Well I've talked to Hagerty and emailed them. My car gets driven too much (7000k annually). They said they typically look for cars driven about half that.

I decided to email them today as I've been considering buying another car for a DD and put less miles on mine, but I had a few questions. I put my car on storage insurance for nearly 6 months during the winter, so I'm only paying for 6 months of insurance on my car, plus a little bit over the winter. Hagerty does not offer storage insurance, so it really would not save me much anyways.

But for those of you who would like to know, I asked them about the occasional drive to work or running errands, and this is what they answered:

"While we can look to accommodate the occasional drive to work, we would need additional information regarding where the vehicle would be kept, the security of the garaging or storage, and who would have access to the vehicle. Due to the nature of our policies we are unable to provide coverage for vehicles that are regularly used to drive to work, run errands, or any other similar back-up or regular-use transportation."
Old 03-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

This has been a very informative thread! I have a ’97 SS with about 22,500 miles on the clock. The car is in mint condition. I’ve had it for over 3 yrs. and only put about 1,000 miles a year on the car. I also have ’04 Grand Am as a DD while the SS sits in the garage when not being used.

I have always thought to myself that my insurance company (Safeco) would only give me about $7-8,000 for it, if it ever got totaled. I definitely need to look into Grundy, thanks for all the posts guys!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned

I called Haggerty this evening and they quoted me $525 for a year of coverage ,including collision and liability! I have a daily driver that is newer than the Z so I will be going with them! My car is not a daily driver and they said that they dont restrict the miles. For that price I can live with it!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Hagerty seems high compared to Grundy's rates.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02 wife
I called Haggerty this evening and they quoted me $525 for a year of coverage ,including collision and liability! I have a daily driver that is newer than the Z so I will be going with them! My car is not a daily driver and they said that they dont restrict the miles. For that price I can live with it!
How many miles annually do you usually put on?

They don't have set restrictions, but if you are constantly going higher than what they like, I'm sure they'll drop you.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Banned

I gotta check out grundys rates!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SuperSport346
How many miles annually do you usually put on?

They don't have set restrictions, but if you are constantly going higher than what they like, I'm sure they'll drop you.
I dont plan on going over 3,000 miles! Its a summer car maybe on weekends!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Age being #1. I think that has alot to factor into the rates..... Thats something that is not being said.

Me...........Well old enough to know better.......:ban
Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insurance premiums are based on "Risk", and insurance companies evaluate risk based upon a number of different criteria. The most expensive portion of any auto policy is liability coverage.

50% of my annual $1,400 State Farm premium is for liability coverage. I have $500K of bodily injury, and $100K of property damage. Am I paying too much for insurance? Probably yes, but I do have the piece of mind knowing that I can slam into a brand new Mercedes, (with a pregnant bitch behind the wheel), and know that my wages won't be garnished for the rest of my life.

The most important question to ask when shopping for insurance is, "Will I be covered if I cause a really nasty accident?". Think about your house, your bank accounts, retirement portfolio, and other assets when asking yourself this question.

The intensive care unit at the hospital can easily cost $10 grand a day.

Last edited by ZigZagZ; 03-23-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 4get gto
Age being #1. I think that has alot to factor into the rates..... Thats something that is not being said.
Age shouldn't matter much with these types of policies. As far as I know, they won't take customers under age 25 nor will they accept very poor driving records...so the risk category will be similar for most. So the only thing that should vary greatly from customer to customer is the agreed value of the car.

Originally Posted by ZigZagZ
The most expensive portion of any auto policy is liability coverage.
Not with collector policies. As they expect/require that the vehicle be for limited pleasue use and show events only, you'll notice on the declarations page that liability is less expensive than comp & collision....at least at my agreed value level it is.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

I JUST got Grundy. 250$ a year, 15 grand agreed value, 99 TA with 90K miles.

Quick Reply: Hagerty/Collector Car Insurance??