General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GTO vs. another TA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juicy J
^Maybe you haven't done enough research with your hours of review on the internet, and consumer reports. Fbody's have several common issues. Window motors (just like your buddy's GTO) and BCM problems are good examples.

I definitely would not say a GTO, or Fbody is an unreliable car.

OP, my unbiased suggestion to you is to get GTO. It seems to me like you don't think the GTO is ugly, and don't really care about the weight. Those seem to be the big complaints on the GTO in this thread.

I personally think the GTO looks badass, though I know I'm lonely on that side of the fence. so no, that's not an issue, and since they really are only ~200lbs heavier it's not a huge deal either. mechanical/electrical problems are not a big deal, I'm going to UTI for automotive technology, so anything that goes wrong I can fix.

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Which one do you want? I mean that's really all it's going to come down to. It's your money, and all you're going to get here is opinions and maybe a little bias Not to say that there isn't tons of useful and helpful suggestions on here. But your question is going to get you only subjectvie answers. Both cars have ups and downs as you have seen. That being said, I think they are both great cars, but again- it's you who has to drive it.
I want both. that's the problem haha. I threw the question out to you guys just to see what kind of answers I would get regardless of which one I get, at some point down the road, I'll buy the other as well, just was curious to see what I should start with. I will drive both before I buy too.

Originally Posted by Juicy J
^ Eh... You can get good answers asking these types of questions. You just sift through all the "that car is ugly" etc. bull ****, and look for the posts that throw out facts.

But I agree with you, both are great cars, and its up to the OP. I think he will be happy either way.
yup I know which ones to pay attention to!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pber13
I personally think the GTO looks badass, though I know I'm lonely on that side of the fence. so no, that's not an issue, and since they really are only ~200lbs heavier it's not a huge deal either. mechanical/electrical problems are not a big deal, I'm going to UTI for automotive technology, so anything that goes wrong I can fix.

I want both. that's the problem haha. I threw the question out to you guys just to see what kind of answers I would get regardless of which one I get, at some point down the road, I'll buy the other as well, just was curious to see what I should start with. I will drive both before I buy too.

yup I know which ones to pay attention to!
Yeah I hear ya, I was just saying that sometimes opinions mean very little with this type of question. Good idea to drive both for sure man, since it's the only way to really tell what feels right for you. I love the T/As seats actually compared to the Camaro's. But the GTO is obviously the more comfortable in general. Good luck man.
ps. if it was me, and I could afford both-I'd keep the GTO stock (maybe exhaust,cai,tune) as a quick/fast daily, and mod the hell outta the WS6 for a weekend warrior Hey we can dream can't we?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:07 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

GTO's are only 200lbs heavier than the average forth gen? Thought it was generally 300-400lbs........
Old 03-18-2010, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like your needs lean more towards a GTO. Whats your power goals? Track times? Lets talk important numbers lol. The F-Bodys are lighter and have a solid rear, then again the 10 bolt will need to be swapped. F-Bodys also come with the LS1 vs. the LS2's for the GTO. I think if your just looking to throw some parts on and have a quick DD...go with the GTO. If your looking to swap more parts but be faster and more possibility get the T/A. I've got a buddy on here whos a sponsor (Ryne @ CMS) His GTO's been as fast as 10.01 with a stock diff and drive line with hardened shafts. The LS2 will make more power just throwing parts on it, and will be more reliable. Not to sure about the body or elec. stuff. My 2 cents
Old 03-19-2010, 06:57 AM
Teching In

here's something to consider your wanting something fast right. well i have a firend that has a gto and we both make about the same numbers at the track he runs 12.9 with drag radials and i ran 12.2 with street tires. while his car responded great with nitrous he got down to 11.5. he spent about twice as much to make his car go faster. just some thought for you!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ Hmmm, interesting. Hey how dirty does your filter get with the FRA?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

trans ams are where its at, Just my $.02
Old 03-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Fbody for sure
Old 03-21-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by black n slow
here's something to consider your wanting something fast right. well i have a firend that has a gto and we both make about the same numbers at the track he runs 12.9 with drag radials and i ran 12.2 with street tires. while his car responded great with nitrous he got down to 11.5. he spent about twice as much to make his car go faster. just some thought for you!
damn his car(GTO) ran with nitrous and mods what my TA ran NA with a cam,lid and full exhaust,fullweight ran and i did that in july of the Texas Heat!!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

T/A if all you care about is going in a straight line.

GTO if other things matter to you as well.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Launching!

I own both.... a ls1 f-body and GTO. If you've never owned a gto...and your opinion is based off what you read on the internet...your a moron! Its all what YOU want to do with the car. If you want a full out drag toy...yeah, buy an f-body. Its a shitload cheaper, nobody is doubting that. If your wanting a hell of alot more comfortable ride (equally as fast), and embarrass unsuspecting ricers who think its a "v6 grand am", and to not be a "cop/ticket magnet" Go with the goat. Its basically a bmw feel with corvette power. The IRS rear handles like its on rails, and its fun to throw into a curve. If I want to daily drive a drag car, Id drive my f-body. Its all about personal preferance. Besides...why would you buy a GTO to cut and gut for a track car anyway?

Last edited by 408z28; 03-21-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

I had a '94 Formula(11.6 @118mph) that I drove everyday. Cheap and fast but after having my GTO now I would never go back to an F-body unless strictly for drag racing. My Formula had 410whp, stock suspension and BFG drag radials and I ran 11.6. Could never have done that with a GTO for the same $$$/mods.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 408z28
I own both.... a ls1 f-body and GTO. If you've never owned a gto...and your opinion is based off what you read on the internet...your a moron! Its all what YOU want to do with the car. If you want a full out drag toy...yeah, buy an f-body. Its a shitload cheaper, nobody is doubting that. If your wanting a hell of alot more comfortable ride (equally as fast), and embarrass unsuspecting ricers who think its a "v6 grand am", and to not be a "cop/ticket magnet" Go with the goat. Its basically a bmw feel with corvette power. The IRS rear handles like its on rails, and its fun to throw into a curve. If I want to daily drive a drag car, Id drive my f-body. Its all about personal preferance. Besides...why would you buy a GTO to cut and gut for a track car anyway?
Ditto, I owned both for 2 1/2 years, and sold the WS6. Now the GTO is stupid expensive for suspension parts and rear end parts and you can't run large tires on them. For a daily driver they are great, vette power with bmw comfort.

Ryan
Old 03-21-2010, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
Sounds like your needs lean more towards a GTO. Whats your power goals? Track times? Lets talk important numbers lol. The F-Bodys are lighter and have a solid rear, then again the 10 bolt will need to be swapped. F-Bodys also come with the LS1 vs. the LS2's for the GTO. I think if your just looking to throw some parts on and have a quick DD...go with the GTO. If your looking to swap more parts but be faster and more possibility get the T/A. I've got a buddy on here whos a sponsor (Ryne @ CMS) His GTO's been as fast as 10.01 with a stock diff and drive line with hardened shafts. The LS2 will make more power just throwing parts on it, and will be more reliable. Not to sure about the body or elec. stuff. My 2 cents
don't really have anything specific track numbers-wise. power goals: well, 500 hp would be cool. obviously, it'd be sweet to have a 10 sec DD, but that isn't terribly practical. the "throwing parts at it" thing is pretty much exactly the plan. not looking to gut it, it will be a fullweight vehicle.

thanks again for chipping in everybody, especially those of you who've owned both cars!

as for the IRS, how much power can they usually take? if your buddy's running 10s, I assume 5-600?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:03 AM
11 Second Club

I'm not so sure if the IRS is to bad. I think the shafts need to be replaced with stronger ones. I'm pretty sure he told me launching it wasnt to bad, its if it starts getting wheel-hop where things go south. Get the GTO, put a sts turbo on it and call it a day, or a 450-500+hp goat lol
Old 03-22-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd go GTO. I love my Formula, but the rough ride and squeeks and rattles are getting old.

I'm sold on the better ride and interior of the GTO. And I actually LIKE they way it looks, for the same reason I like the look of the Formy over the T/A. I like low key, I have no need to have a car that screams "Hey! Look at me!!"

I actually was thinking of a GTO when I bought my Formula, but I couldn't afford a '05/06.

Last edited by StuntmanMike; 03-23-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
I'm not so sure if the IRS is to bad. I think the shafts need to be replaced with stronger ones. I'm pretty sure he told me launching it wasnt to bad, its if it starts getting wheel-hop where things go south. Get the GTO, put a sts turbo on it and call it a day, or a 450-500+hp goat lol
that's the plan for what ever I get. STS turbo and gunning for 500hp. we have an LS1 GTO here at UTI in the phase 3 lab with an STS kit running 5 psi. made 411rwhp and 410 rwtq with no other mods. they also built a 2001 TA with the same kit and made just under 400. I'm very intrigued by the rear-mount setup and want to give it a try. a long ways down the road if I'm doing well I want to build a car that's streetable with 4 digit hp numbers
Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I'd got GTO. I love my Formula, but the rough ride and squeeks and rattles are getting old.
I'm sold on the better ride and interior of the GTO. And I actually LIKE they way it looks, for the same reason I like the look of the Formy over the T/A. I like low key, I have no need to have a car that screams "Hey! Look at me!!"

I actually was thinking of a GTO when I bought my Formula, but I couldn't afford a '05/06.
Are you sure it's not just YOU getting old? lol jk

Maybe it's just me, but I happen to like the "rough ride" and the handling of the fbody. Few suspension peices and your in business for road course, drag racing (whatever you want-hell they even drift well) and you don't have to put them on a diet either. I think they both have their ups and downs but there seem to be a lot of comments saying that "if you only are worried about a straight line, get the ws6" etc. The fbody has a LOT more to offer than just a straight line. Ask some of our suspension guys and closed circuit folk on here. We won't even mention what it has to offer in the "looks" department. That's my opinion of course. Both very nice rides.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

If your plan is for rear mount turbos the couple of 100lbs in savings on a F-body isn't going to mean very much. A guy I know has rear mounts on his GTO and has run in the 9s ... 10s all day long when he just had a stock botttom and stock cam.

As for me ... I don't see many f-bodys that can run NA with me. Better ride is a no brainer between the two.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, couple hundred pounds you say? Like as in "2 hundred pounds"? Hmmm, could have swore the goats had a little more meat than that when similarily equipped. Either way, I'd never trade my fourth gen for a goat. I would go with a cts if it was ride I wanted.