General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GTO vs. another TA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GTO vs. another TA?

alright, once I graduate school in the fall, I'm selling my mustang so that I can get back into a GM car. I really want another TA (used to own an LT1 TA), but at the same time I really like the LS2 GTOs. my *planned* path of mods regardless of the choice is to start with a rearmount turbo setup and work from there. car will be a daily driver, 95% street car, maybe a bit of track time.

what I want to know is which platform is easiest to accomplish this on? are there specific advantages to one or the other? which engine responds best? If any of you have insight that would be great!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

An Fbody is a better drag platform period. SRA, lighter, room for tires and so on.

I don't want to start a big battle, but an LS2 GTO has a slight edge on an LS1 Fbody stock for stock. The GTO is a more comfortable car, and rides smoother. Most people will tell you the GTO makes a better daily driver. The only thing I hate about GTO's, is that you cannot fit a very wide tire on them at all.

Basically, if you want a good cheap platform wtih a lot of potential, get an Fbody. If you want a good comfortable DD with a lot of potential, get a GTO. A GTO is easy to make go fast for cheap, and an Fbody is easy to make fast for cheaper.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the response! thank you also for the unbiased opinion. anybody know what the curb weight for a GTO is? if anyone else has stuff to toss in please do!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, since u asked for other opinions.....
a gto looks like a cavalier while the ta has style.

thats all i got on that subject.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pber13
thanks for the response! thank you also for the unbiased opinion. anybody know what the curb weight for a GTO is? if anyone else has stuff to toss in please do!
My auto 05 GTO weighed in at 3720 I believe.

It makes for 10x the better daily then an F-body. The ride is better, it doesn't make random noises and the interior is hawt.

For a drag car only the Fbody is the way to go, but a rear mount LS2 GTO is going to be mean on the streets. Either of them will, but the GTO is just 100x smoother of a car.

Since you said street car that you are going to daily I would pick up a GTO.
It can lose 200lbs in a hurry too if you are really that worried about it.

All out drag car = F-body
Anything else = GTO
Old 03-16-2010, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Definitely a GTO for a DD. I love T/As but the GTO is 10x more refined and no slouch in the speed department. I would love to own a WS6 and plan on it once I get back stateside.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reinhardt02
well, since u asked for other opinions.....
I find the 05-06 GTO MUCH more attractive than a TA personally. A TA is so over the top, and to me, it screams 90's. I prefer simple, clean looking cars like the 4th gen Camaro, GTO, and C5/C6. But this is just opinion.

OP, one plus to buying an Fbody is it will be cheaper. One minus to buying an Fbody is that it will also feel cheaper.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:21 PM
MASS seller approved

another TA for sure gto looks like **** IMO
Old 03-16-2010, 04:15 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by reinhardt02
Yep, I couldn't stand to look at it day after day. Plus the weight is a killer, its like hauling around two fat chicks in the back seats full time.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Teching In

What about the rearend in the gto. How much is it going to cost you to repair it when it goes, gm 10 bolts are a dime a dozen and can been done in the driveway in about 3 hours so you can be back on the street for saturday night.

I dont know much about the gto rearend but if that goes what does it take to fix it and what is the most common thing that goes? At what hp do you start having problems? Guys are running 11 sec 1/4 miles on gm 10 bolts with a4 cars.

i vote 4 gen t/a.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if i was looking for a car to make killer power with id get a 4th gen over a GTO.

GTOs are much nicer and better DDs. let me know if youre interested in a clean, low mileage GTO if thats what you decide to go with.

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 03-21-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

They look like a Grand Prix to me...

If you want the attention get an ws6. The looks are classic and won't be played out like a gto is.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fatbum

It makes for 10x the better daily then an F-body. The ride is better, it doesn't make random noises and the interior is hawt.

For a drag car only the Fbody is the way to go, but a rear mount LS2 GTO is going to be mean on the streets. Either of them will, but the GTO is just 100x smoother of a car.

Anything else = GTO
great post thanks for the help! I'm not worried about weight at all, just want something that will be fast and fun to drive, but not over the top, and certainly not a track car. thanks for all the posts everyone!
Originally Posted by Fatbum

Anything else = GTO
great post thanks for the help! I'm not worried about weight at all, just want something that will be fast and fun (and *reasonably* comfortable) to drive, but not over the top, and certainly not a track car. at some point I'll get a TA and do a FM single turbo beast, but not anytime soon...thanks for all the posts everyone!

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
if i was looking for a cr to make killer power with id get a 4th gen over a GTO.

GTOs are much nicer and better DDs. let me know if youre interested in a clean, low mileage GTO if thats what you decide to go with.
PMed
Old 03-17-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

a white or black WS6 over a GTO anyday of the week!!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:23 AM
Teching In

haha you notice how all the people saying gto are camaro an gto owners. for some reason camaros hate on us T/A owners(even though i got a 86 iroc too n 02 T/A, n also my father has a 69 camaro).but i had a 06 gto too. TRANS AM ALL DAY. gtos a boat, only cool thing about it is it has air vents for the backseat.an ther default is there rear end. matter of fact ive only got cold air an pacesetters an ive beat 2 6.0's.no catfish or boat, ill never sell my T/A.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:10 AM

The GTO is terrible for reliability. If you want to spend as much on electrical problem as on mods get a GTO. Trans Am is a comfortable, fast, clean car that lasts. Yeah it ride a little rougher than a GTO, but its a muscle car, get a caddy if the rides that important. My opinion is made by hours of review on the internet and consumer reports, and the fact my buddy had a gto and i had a 1999 Anniversary Ed. T/A my T/A was get in and drive everything works for all 70,000 miles i owned it . His had 2,000 miles when he bought it and a year later his window motors broke, then his wiper motors and so on and so on.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^Maybe you haven't done enough research with your hours of review on the internet, and consumer reports. Fbody's have several common issues. Window motors (just like your buddy's GTO) and BCM problems are good examples.

I definitely would not say a GTO, or Fbody is an unreliable car.

OP, my unbiased suggestion to you is to get GTO. It seems to me like you don't think the GTO is ugly, and don't really care about the weight. Those seem to be the big complaints on the GTO in this thread.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Which one do you want? I mean that's really all it's going to come down to. It's your money, and all you're going to get here is opinions and maybe a little bias Not to say that there isn't tons of useful and helpful suggestions on here. But your question is going to get you only subjectvie answers. Both cars have ups and downs as you have seen. That being said, I think they are both great cars, but again- it's you who has to drive it.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Eh... You can get good answers asking these types of questions. You just sift through all the "that car is ugly" etc. bull ****, and look for the posts that throw out facts.

But I agree with you, both are great cars, and its up to the OP. I think he will be happy either way.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You've heard the pros and cons of each, but really just figure out what you want more out of a car.

Personally, I absolutely love how aggressive a WS6 looks, and have never been a fan of the GTO's styling.