General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LM2 vs Borlamouth? Which is better sound and noise wise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LM2 vs Borlamouth? Which is better sound and noise wise?

So I have decided to get rid of my LM1 resonator, but I want to go the cheap way out. I plan to either replace it with a Borla XR1 muffler or the LM2. I'm looking to quiet the car up so I can actually talk in my car and also not shoot myself on long trips.

So I've decided on one of the two. Which one do you believe would be the better choice? I like the sound of the Borla, but I have a buddy with the LM2 and that sounds pretty damn nice as well, plus I've yet to hear rasp on his car.

Basically I'm looking to get rid of the drone in the car when I'm on the expressway, that's priority one! My girl is getting pissed about that haha, and I can understand, it's annoying to me as well. Then it's about sound quality. What are your opinions?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Do you have cats or not?

How much of a concern is money? If you don't mind the cash, I'd do the XR1, I think it will put the biggest dent in your sound issue.

A Dynomax bullet muffler in place of the resonator would be another alternative to the LM2....might be cheaper (not sure what the LM2 resonator costs).
Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my LM2 had no rasp until i went with an ORY, sounded pretty mellow, and very little drone with the cutout open
Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Here is my progression on my old cammed, LT, ORY SS. Started with "Dynomouth" on an otherwise stock car. Big cam, LT, ORY then went on and here is how it went. Keep in mind this is personal experience on MY car.

Dynomouth (Dynomax bullet in place of LM1 Resonator): Ungodly loud and raspy. Got pulled over within 5 hours of picking it up after the cam install. Could not even lug the car wo getting ridiculous rasp

Borlamouth (Borla XR1 in place of LM1 resonator): Best sounding exhaust on my car. Mellowed the rasp but still sounded godly at WOT. Only reason I took it off was one of the welds started to break where it was welded into my LM catback and I thought I wanted a quieter exhaust.

Hooker CB: Almost sounded like a Mustang with that hollow, tinny sound due to the chambered muffler. Sounded good but was too mellow for me.

LM2 CB: Louder than the Borlamouth but quieter than the Dynomouth. Sounded pretty good but was a bit raspy.

I would go with the XR1 part # 40085 I believe. It offers the most sound suppresion and uses stainless steel packing so it wont change too much over time. It also sounds like a Nascar at WOT and has a "cleaner" sound to it. Hope this helps.

-Reg
Old 04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Big Red dang might as well own every exhaust out there from your post. All you need is a corsa and GMMG and you can say you've had it all besides true duals. lol
Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
Big Red dang might as well own every exhaust out there from your post. All you need is a corsa and GMMG and you can say you've had it all besides true duals. lol
I think you're forgetting maybe one or two, like:

SLP dual/dual
SLP 2OTL
Flowmaster
Random Tech
B&B Triflow
Mufflex w/Spintech
Mufflex w/Flowmaster
Bassani Street Competition
Bassani Quiet Thunder
Bassani True Duals
MAC
Magnaflow
Borla (full catback)
Dynomax
JEGS
Edelbrock
....plus several that I've forgotten at the moment. Not to mention a host of various other mufflers not offered in catback format that will fit an F-body.

There have been countless systems offered for these cars over the years. Some can now only be bought used though.

Quick Reply: LM2 vs Borlamouth? Which is better sound and noise wise?