General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Crazy deal my buddy got ss 7 grand

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would rather drive an automatic. But stealerships do use the manual cars to raise the sticker
Old 04-09-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by poopshootSS

is it ok to do that in an SS?

Originally Posted by justin455
I wear sandals about 6 months of the year, nice jeans (and clothes for that matter), and love some cookies. On the other hand I like the smell of unburnt gas and have an unnatural hatred of all things toyota. Does that mean I'm Bi and just didn't know!?
You wear thong-styled flip-flops?

And really... "nice jeans?" Denim is denim!

Wearing a polo shirt is one thing... dressing like a toolbag is another.

All kidding aside, I was simply taking jabs at the "Scion guys"!

Originally Posted by slow00gt
I would rather drive an automatic. But stealerships do use the manual cars to raise the sticker
I don't think they use it as a selling point, but they twist it to make it sound beneficial to the buyer. The same way in the dealership listing for an F-Body with cloth seats, they'll write something similar to "The cloth seats are great... they don't get cold in the winter and hot in the summer like the leather seats..." Or, if they're marketing a V6 car, they'll say "The V6 is the best of both worlds... great on gas with plenty of power." So in turn... "The 6-speed manual is great and allows you to rip through the gears on the open streets..."

Last edited by The Bronx Bull; 04-09-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull
I gotta agree, this type of shoes is for girls.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

isnt the tc a toaster on wheels looking thing? or the one that looks a soybean on wheels?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow00gt
I'm the opposite. When I bought my SS, I was only looking for a low milage 6 speed LS1. That was it. I didnt really care about color or other options (other than the SS), I just wanted a 6 speed and I was willing to pay more for it.

I think dealerships do mark up 6 speeds too. Why? Because they are meant for a select market for those who do want one. Not everyone can just hop in and drive it.. But I couldnt imagine owning a another automatic sports car. Auto's are great for racing, but I just like shifting through the gears... And being able to do 75mph at 1700rpm's.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Yikes, I hope I'm still cool to drive my SS with the ten piercings in my face??? :-]
Old 04-09-2010, 06:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I would definitely pay more for an auto, actually I would only buy the M6 car at such a cheap price that I could use the rest of the cash to convert it to an auto.

I've shopped for so many of these cars, what I've learned is that it's much harder to find a low mileage A4 LS1. Seems like the A4s always have higher mileage than the M6s. People with the M6 cars just don't seem to drive them as much, at least around my area (makes sense, you'd have to REALLY love constant clutch and shifter operation living so close to Chicago traffic). This makes LS1 shopping hard for me, because all I'm ever looking for are low mile A4 cars....and all I ever find are high mile A4 cars or low mile M6 cars.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 04-09-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
I'm the opposite. When I bought my SS, I was only looking for a low milage 6 speed LS1. That was it. I didnt really care about color or other options (other than the SS), I just wanted a 6 speed and I was willing to pay more for it.

I think dealerships do mark up 6 speeds too. Why? Because they are meant for a select market for those who do want one. Not everyone can just hop in and drive it.. But I couldnt imagine owning a another automatic sports car. Auto's are great for racing, but I just like shifting through the gears... And being able to do 75mph at 1700rpm's.
First, you don't own a sports car. Miatias/corvettes/Rx7s/etc are sports cars, two seaters that are small and nimble. It is almost hard to classify a vette as a sports car to me because of the drive train and the size. You own a muscle car, no other way to cut it.

Second, the vast majority of people think that 6 speeds are leaps and bounds faster. I once had a girl tell me that her fart can and CAI 1995 honda would outrun my trans am (ms4 prcls6s FAST etc etc etc) because I had a slow *** A4 and hers was a manual. She was dead serious and had heard/seen my car before.
It was a girl yes, but I have had PLENTY of "car guys" tell me I should swap out my stalled A4 for a 6 speed because it would be SOOO much faster. They said I would go from running 7.3s to around 6.8s in the 1/8.

Fast and the Furious **** if you ask me.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am in the majority as well that would ONLY buy a M6 if it was a killer deal. Otherwise it would be A4 all the way. Too much **** to mess up on a manual not to count how much more expensive are to maintain.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by lemons12
First, you don't own a sports car. Miatias/corvettes/Rx7s/etc are sports cars, two seaters that are small and nimble. It is almost hard to classify a vette as a sports car to me because of the drive train and the size. You own a muscle car, no other way to cut it.
Agreed. LS1 F-body = modern muscle, not sports car.

Second, the vast majority of people think that 6 speeds are leaps and bounds faster. I once had a girl tell me that her fart can and CAI 1995 honda would outrun my trans am (ms4 prcls6s FAST etc etc etc) because I had a slow *** A4 and hers was a manual. She was dead serious and had heard/seen my car before.
It was a girl yes, but I have had PLENTY of "car guys" tell me I should swap out my stalled A4 for a 6 speed because it would be SOOO much faster. They said I would go from running 7.3s to around 6.8s in the 1/8.

I agree here too. I blame the SN95 generation of Mustangs, and most rice-style imports. Reason being, in the case of those cars the auto trans models are (usually) considerably slower than the manual (stock for stock). Since those cars have been so popular in recent years, this has perpetuated the belief that it's the same for ALL cars, which is simply untrue. The average 1/4 mile time (stock for stock) from A4 to M6 F-body isn't much different, nor is the trap speed. Only time you see a significant difference is when racing from a high speed roll.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Theres no doubt about it that auto's are better for racing than M6's at the track. Whether ls1 fbodies are sports cars or muscle cars, I just like M6's more for the street, which is where my car spends most of the time. It will maybe see 4 or 5 trips down the track this year, but 7-8K miles on the street. I dont have anything against either. I had a A4 Formula and currently have a M6 SS.

And a vast majority of people are retarded too. Anyone who tells you to swap out your A4 for an M6 for the sole reason of being faster at the track doesnt have an opinion that matters anyways. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer my M6 for the streets, but if I were to make a track car, it would definately be a A4.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
Theres no doubt about it that auto's are better for racing than M6's at the track. Whether ls1 fbodies are sports cars or muscle cars, I just like M6's more for the street, which is where my car spends most of the time. It will maybe see 4 or 5 trips down the track this year, but 7-8K miles on the street. I dont have anything against either. I had a A4 Formula and currently have a M6 SS.

And a vast majority of people are retarded too. Anyone who tells you to swap out your A4 for an M6 for the sole reason of being faster at the track doesnt have an opinion that matters anyways. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer my M6 for the streets, but if I were to make a track car, it would definately be a A4.
!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am in the majority as well that would ONLY buy a M6 if it was a killer deal. Otherwise it would be A4 all the way. Too much **** to mess up on a manual not to count how much more expensive are to maintain.
ur talking expensive to maintain?? who needs a rebuild at 100k miles?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
That might have been true in the 60's, 70's when manuals had brass blocker rings, steel synchros, noisey helical gears cut close to straight, forged steel shift forks with no pads, mechanical clutch linkage, and a clutch pressure plate that makes you walk with a limp.

Look at the f body manual **** pile.
Fragile aluminum forks with little pads on it so people don't whine about the noise, fiber lined two or three piece blocker rings, shitty shift linkage, hydraulic actuated clutch that from what I've seen will smoke as much as the tires when doing a burnout. Not to mention the rear thats sure to break.

Even if you upgrade it all, you still have the nice quiet but weak high angle helical cut gears.

Whatever was said might be true if you could put your right foot to the floor during the entire run and side step the clutch off the line without anything breaking.
These are people my age, weren't even thunk about in the 60s/70s.
Even at that, I still don't see a manual being quicker, especially 4-6 tenths.
Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
ur talking expensive to maintain?? who needs a rebuild at 100k miles?

Not really sure which one you are talking about...?

I put a 4400 VIG in my last TA at 101K miles along with ms4 cam etc etc etc.. Went 15K miles and still shifts perfect.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
Thats because in an automatic you put your right foot down.
How many times have people argued about not being able to manually shift and automatic fast enough?
These same people who can't push a lever forward at the right time sure as hell can't be expected to work a clutch and manual shifter.

4 to 6 tenths isn't much. There are people out there who can build a manual trans car and drive it. Thats the key, you have to know how to drive it.

People younger than you, M6's and clutches weaker, etc, it is quite rare to see someone drive it with any skill these days.
What is funny is they can't shift faster than my A4!

4-6 tenths is a TON when you are talking ONLY going from a 4000 stalled A4 to an M6 and you are already running MUCH quicker than almost all other setups with similar mods in a much worse DA.
For a stock/ish car, it isn't much of a difference.

99% of the time an A4 will turn out quicker times. You have to factor in driver skill because someone always has to drive a manual.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull
Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I gotta agree, this type of shoes is for girls.
You guys better wear combat boots everyday to hate on my leather sandals. (not plastic flip-flops). Besides, old man, ratty new balance tennis shoes just don't cut it for me aside from mowing the grass.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by justin455
You guys better wear combat boots everyday to hate on my leather sandals. (not plastic flip-flops). Besides, old man, ratty new balance tennis shoes just don't cut it for me aside from mowing the grass.
I wear heavy boot-styled shoes on a daily basis, or just standard work boots. I also have a pair of gym shoes for atheletic/excercise purposes, a pair of dress shoes, and snow boots when needed. And that is the extent of my approved shoe inventory. But my wife has about 54 different pairs of shoes, including the girly flip-flops (which is fine for her, since she's a chick).
Old 04-10-2010, 01:42 AM
Launching!

I picked up a 2000 SS M6 with 98,000 for 8k, never seen snow ro rain, underbody pics to prove......is that a bad deal?
Old 04-10-2010, 03:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mylittlez06
I picked up a 2000 SS M6 with 98,000 for 8k, never seen snow ro rain, underbody pics to prove......is that a bad deal?
Dealership=that would be a good deal
Private=not really a good deal, not screwed, just nothing special
Old 04-10-2010, 03:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealership=that would be a good deal
Private=not really a good deal, not screwed, just nothing special
If the car was super clean, it would be a pretty decent deal in my neck of the woods.

Quick Reply: Crazy deal my buddy got ss 7 grand