General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LSX vs SBC radiator

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010 | 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default LSX vs SBC radiator

This may be a retarded question, but I need to know.

Is there any difference between an LSx and a SBC radiator? Difference as in shape (size) or connections (anything other than an in/out)?
Old 04-26-2010 | 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope I don't make myself look internet, but, what the heck I'll say it anyway.

Transmission lines?
Old 04-26-2010 | 10:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Vicinity
This may be a retarded question, but I need to know.

Is there any difference between an LSx and a SBC radiator? Difference as in shape (size) or connections (anything other than an in/out)?
Yes, they are different. As for connections, the LS radiator has a fitting for the throttle body cooler line not found on old SBC stuff. Additionally, the primary in/out necks are located at different heights on the respective tanks (LS hoses attach more towards the middle of each tank, height wise; where the SBC is more of a true top-to-bottom crossflow).

As for size, the old SBC radiator on my Nova is much bigger than what's on my LS cars. They would definitely not interchange without some modifications.
Old 04-27-2010 | 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Yes, they are different. As for connections, the LS radiator has a fitting for the throttle body cooler line not found on old SBC stuff. Additionally, the primary in/out necks are located at different heights on the respective tanks (LS hoses attach more towards the middle of each tank, height wise; where the SBC is more of a true top-to-bottom crossflow).

As for size, the old SBC radiator on my Nova is much bigger than what's on my LS cars. They would definitely not interchange without some modifications.
Thanks RPM, that's what I wanted to know. I didn't want to go out and buy a nice aluminum radiator for my SBC and be SOL after I buy an LS.

Quick Reply: LSX vs SBC radiator