General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Best subframe connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by z-camaro
If you get a chance could you post a picture of the "reverse pyramid" is the largest diameter washer next to the head of the bolt, or the SFC? Also I'm assuming this is with the bar nut that comes with the SFC's.
I just bought a pair of used SLP 3pt bolt in's but they didn't come with any hardware, and I don't want to pay $60+shipping for SLP's hardware kit if it isn't necessary. I am going to call UMI and see if their "bolt pattern" is the same, but if you have any other suggestions that would be great!
Yes, I did this with the SLP bolt-ins. I can try to get a picture of this later, but there isn't much to look at. The smallest washers go towards the bolt head, with the largest towards the SFC mounting plates (makes a reverse pyramid in relation to the ground). I think I used three washers for each pyramid stack, which allows a great deal more torque to be applied to the bolts without distortion and partial collapse of the smaller diameter SLP washer into the mounting hole. You can get washers and bolts at any local hardware store, although I did use the mounting bars that came with the SFCs from SLP. I suppose you could make your own mounts with some thick, cut steel bar that's been drilled and threaded.

Picture attached below:

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-30-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Ok, here is a picture I just took of the forward mounting pad of the SLP SFCs with the triple washer stack. I used a brush and some undercoating to cover the bolts and washers many years ago, so they would blend in better with the SFCs:

Name:  SLPSFC001.jpg
Views: 2504
Size:  71.1 KB
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Yes, I did this with the SLP bolt-ins. I can try to get a picture of this later, but there isn't much to look at. The smallest washers go towards the bolt head, with the largest towards the SFC mounting plates (makes a reverse pyramid in relation to the ground). I think I used three washers for each pyramid stack (SLP kit only comes with one weak washer for each bolt, and if you try to really torque down hard on this, the washer will distort and partially collapse into the mounting hole - the stack of three progressively larger washers allows a great deal more torque). I got everything necessary at the local hardware store, although I did use the mounting bars that came with the SFCs from SLP. I suppose you could make your own mounts with some thick, cut steel bar that's been drilled and threaded.
Ok, here is a picture I just took of the forward mounting pad of the SLP SFCs with the triple washer stack. I used a brush and some undercoating to cover the bolts and washers many years ago, so they would blend in better with the SFCs:
Thank you very much!
One more question for you so I don't have to start another thread. I have read on here that when installing SFC's that you want the suspension loaded, but in the SLP instructions it doesn't mention anything about that. Any recommendations on how to install them with just jackstands?
Sorry for the thread jack, hopefully this helps out some others too.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Thank you very much!
One more question for you so I don't have to start another thread. I have read on here that when installing SFC's that you want the suspension loaded, but in the SLP instructions it doesn't mention anything about that. Any recommendations on how to install them with just jackstands?
Sorry for the thread jack, hopefully this helps out some others too.
Glad to help.

I have installed these on a few different cars. I have sometimes used ramps, or a jack to lift the car for positioning/initial hand-tight mounting of the SFCs. But for actual torquing of the bolts I have always made sure that the suspension was fully loaded with no portion of the body on jacks. Not sure how important that is, but I always felt it was a good idea for everything to be loaded for final torquing as it would be during normal operation.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to help.

I have installed these on a few different cars. I have sometimes used ramps, or a jack to lift the car for positioning/initial hand-tight mounting of the SFCs. But for actual torquing of the bolts I have always made sure that the suspension was fully loaded with no portion of the body on jacks. Not sure how important that is, but I always felt it was a good idea for everything to be loaded for final torquing as it would be during normal operation.
Suspension fully loaded? So are you saying that if I go to my local muffler place, drive on to there full lenght ramps, take to car up. Thats fully loaded, all 4 tires on the ramp full weight, just like on the street?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Suspension fully loaded? So are you saying that if I go to my local muffler place, drive on to there full lenght ramps, take to car up. Thats fully loaded, all 4 tires on the ramp full weight, just like on the street?
The car won't know if it's on the street or on a ramp lift. Shouldn't be any difference IMO.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoneniX
I called up UMI when i was looking for the right fit. he said
-chromoly is a waste of cash if its a weekend warrior only do that for full drag car
-2pt vs 3 pt is only BARELY noticeable on a road coarse, for drags they are equal (think abt it a 2pt connects the subframes which therefor box the ends -giving about the same side to side strength)
-weld in is no maintance, quieter and generally whats the chances that you will take off the sfc when u sell the car ? parting them out is a null point
-tubular v boxed boxed are heavier and unless thicker guage like is available a =thickness tubular will be stronger
-black v red is personal i went black figuring scratches will be easier to respray paint

I went 2pt tubular J&M weld in. they were just 100$ and the best deal with high quality ends.

bonus tip the sfc extend the jacking point area so a jack and stand can fit easier
Thanks for sharing that info.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by inssanity21
At first i bolted mine in, was alot stiffer and i loved the difference. i then got paranoid and decided to weld them in. after it felt like i put on another set of sub frame connectors. made it much stiffer. the only down fall to doing it is now there are a ton more squeaks and rattles. every imperfection in the road feels much worse than it is. but it took away all my thoughts about the car "twisting"
This is interesting because when I installed UMI 2 point weld-ins on my A4 car road imperfections immediately felt much worse - ride was much stiffer and harsher.

So I put bolt-ins on my M6 car. Did not notice any difference at all.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used the BMR 2-point tubular weld-ins. Should have come from the factory like that...
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

MWC Weld In's
Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Should have read more before I posted my question has already been answered, gonna get the UMI 3 point bolt ins after reading this, the red will go nice with my car

Quick Reply: Best subframe connectors?