General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

FTP or FIPK??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default FTP or FIPK??????

I dont know if im in the right section but I wanted to know what would be better to upgrade? I have a 99 Firehawk with an SLP lid, I wanted to know what would be better to get FTP lid or FIPK intake? If you need more info to determine let me know.

-Bert
Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure if you get the FTP lid you'll have to upgrade your MAF to an 85mm one. If you're getting an 85mm MAF anyways, definitely go with the FTP one to take advantage of that.

If you're keeping the stock throttle body for now, just keep the SLP lid and pick up an ftra or any other ram air setup if you want a little more.

Hope this helps, I'm still a little new myself but I'm pretty sure that the aforementioned info is correct.

On a side note, since you're car's a 99, you can pick up an ls6 intake (if you don't already have one) and gain quite a bit more power. The go for around $300 in the classifieds.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sandsk8erz400
I'm pretty sure if you get the FTP lid you'll have to upgrade your MAF to an 85mm one. If you're getting an 85mm MAF anyways, definitely go with the FTP one to take advantage of that.

If you're keeping the stock throttle body for now, just keep the SLP lid and pick up an ftra or any other ram air setup if you want a little more.

Hope this helps, I'm still a little new myself but I'm pretty sure that the aforementioned info is correct.

On a side note, since you're car's a 99, you can pick up an ls6 intake (if you don't already have one) and gain quite a bit more power. The go for around $300 in the classifieds.
X2.

You really won't gain much, if anything, over the SLP lid with either of the other options, so you might as well keep the lid and spend the money elsewhere (like the LS6 intake, for example).
Old 05-01-2010, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

I just got an 85/85 FAST so I want to get the most of that setup. I have an LS6 right now meanwhile the FAST arrives. I have a Ram Air hood but I want to put my original Firehawk hood back on. That means that I would have to put the lower bottom for regular Trans Am hoods and loose that extra space for the intake that WS6s have. I was thinking of going with FIPK and gain that little extra air. Let me know what everybody thinks.

-Bert
Old 05-01-2010, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

The Firehawks utilizes the same Ram Air system that the WS6s do. The Hawk hoods are ram air functional, it just uses the bottom two scoops in the bumper, rather than two additional scoops in the hood like WS6. FTP lid would work better for your setup, were as you would still be uses the Ram Air system which provides Cold Air to the engine. FIPK is an open filter, which would be pulling Hot Air from under the hood. Colder is better!!
Old 05-02-2010, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I know my hawk hood is functional, but the whole setup will be sitting lower since I have the WS6 setup with a WS6 hood. I want to go back with my Hawk hood and with this air box setup it will not close. I can get pictures to show what im talking about. In order to get the Hawk hood to work you need the lower air box that is found on Z28, SS and regular Trans Am/Firebirds. The WS6 has 2 inch openning (havent measured) and the Z28s have 1 inch oppening. I want to know if I can gain that air back by going FIPK or is it not worth it? Im going to go back with my Hawk hood regardless. I just want to know what will give me better air flow and performance.

-Bert
Old 05-02-2010, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

The FIPK will hurt performance bc ur engine will b breathing Hotter air. As stated before, the FAST TOYS Ram Air (FTRA) would b ur best option for providing more fresh cold air to ur breather.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

So does that mean that the Volant intake would be a better choice over the FIPK?

-Bert
Old 05-02-2010, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Possibly better than the FIPK (but will it work with the firehawk hood??) ...... but honestly.... none of these are goin to give you ANY gains over the Firehawk SLP lid. I mean these cars made 345hp from factory. obviously the intake system works. These intake kits you are looking at are not worth the money. What are you trying to accomplish here???
Old 05-02-2010, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

I want the lid that works best with my 85/85 FAST. I know there is an 85 MAF sensor but I dont plan tunning anytime soon so I dont know if changing the MAF will be good.

-Bert
Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

I still feel like your slp lid will be adequate if you are still using the stock MAF. The larger FTP lid will be pointless if you're still using the stock MAF. (and NO, at your performance level, a 85mm MAF will not have any performance gains.) If you just Need more air flow to make you feel better, lol, then I would go with the FTRA, which pulls air from under the car into the filter. (SLP also offers a similar setup) If you just like the look of the Volant, then Get it. Dont get the FIPK, tho. Like I said it will not improve peroformance, as it will mostly be pulling in Hot air from the engine bay.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not worth it IMO
Old 05-02-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep the SLP.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Awesome input guys all of yall have helped me made my decision. Im sticking with my SLP lid and save some money and save up for my cam.

-Bert
Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

One more question. When the car is running like on a highway run does it still suck hot air in? Firehawks have direct air hitting the intake and the hood has heat extractors. Would that still affect performance on sucking hot air? Im sure all the heat goes backwards when the car is moving.

-Bert
Old 05-08-2010, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

So does it work like that or not?

-Bert
Old 05-08-2010, 12:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

honestly, you need to look at your car like its a regular T/A or Z28. the Ram air hood has been proven to only work at high speeds. like 100+ MPH, you gain 1-2 MPH in the 1/4 over a non ram air car.

that being said...do you have the Blackwing lid by chance? because if you do and your dead set on changing it for whatever intake setup, the Blackwings go on ebay for about 300 bucks.

back to your problem...

if i was in your position, i would stick with the SLP or SLP Blackwing untill you do heads and a cam, then look into a larger lid and MAF. do NOT get the SLP MAF. its junk. either get a TSP 100 mm or the FTP 100 mm MAF. thoes have been proven to be the easiest to tune and flow the best. right now you will see nothing from changing lids to another lid or the FIPK/Volant.

my opinion...get the FTRA or SSRA setup, cut your lower air box and be happy. they tend to gain more over the stock setups because they actually give a direct path to the air box rather than the maze of rain baffles the air has to go thru on the stock setups.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Teching In

With the increase in speed more cold air will be "rammed" into your air intake so to answer your question is, yes.

not that it matters but, I am running the Volant with my WS6 hood. I felt a little better response and alot bigger pull at 60+. I would imagine the volant would work with a firehawk since it was designed for the traditional Firebird hood which didn't have any scoop on it. Unless the firehawk bay is completely different, which I doubt, but I've never seen one in person.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

On my car you can see the filter if you look through the nostriles. Way different than the regular TA/ Firebird. So it gets direct flow cold air. Specially on the highway since the air is hitting the front and the scoops are huge. I dont have the blackwing. I wish I did. I just have the WS6 lower air box and the SLP lid with a WS6 hood. Im going to try to look for a blackwing and give it a rest lol. Oh and to clarrify things I do mostly highway runs and rarely, I mean rarely hit the track.

-Bert
Old 05-15-2010, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Any opinions on my thought?

-Bert