General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Order of modding

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by So-GT0071
Were you planning on changing heads when you do the blower anyways? If it was me I'd just save the money you would spend milling the heads and put it towards a wideband 02 or something useful long term.

That being said, with all the fast cars coming out, I see your concern. As always, blame Jarrod.

EDIT.....aaaannnnddd I just read up top where you said you were getting AFR heads. Like I said, I'd save the money for supercharger stuff. It is "only" a few hundred dollars, but you will need it....lol
I figured as much, but I do blame Jarrod.

Yeah, AFR 225s are the planned head, so I think that "milling" fund would be better spent elsewhere, wideband or something else. I had a moment of weakness
Old 05-18-2010, 01:18 AM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is to keep it as is, and drive it for fun. Save a ton of money, and maybe buy a house or invest some. You asked for opinions, and mine is not to drop $10k+ into a car that will never come close to recouping if/when you sell. If that is not a concern, spend every penny you have, family be damned, and build a street/strip rocket.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cpo
Another option is to keep it as is, and drive it for fun. Save a ton of money, and maybe buy a house or invest some. You asked for opinions, and mine is not to drop $10k+ into a car that will never come close to recouping if/when you sell. If that is not a concern, spend every penny you have, family be damned, and build a street/strip rocket.
I appreciate the advice, but if you read the first post, I wasn't looking for people to change my mind on anything, just order of modding.

And it's closer to $20k, than $10k. Not selling the car either. I have a substantial cash flow now (living well within my means), as well as very nice job placement, on top of having a house basically covered. My girlfriend is picking up an LS3 vette, so I need to keep up
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaunt
I appreciate the advice, but if you read the first post, I wasn't looking for people to change my mind on anything, just order of modding.

And it's closer to $20k, than $10k. Not selling the car either. I have a substantial cash flow now (living well within my means), as well as very nice job placement, on top of having a house basically covered. My girlfriend is picking up an LS3 vette, so I need to keep up
C6Z, cam, ported heads and intake should "keep up"

its also nice to see someone that knows how much a FI build will cost.

anyways, i think the order you have now is fine. personally, id only want to have tthe car down once, but MAYBE twice isnt bad. 317s are cheap. throw some springs in 'em with the blower and stay on relatively low boost and you should be good until the motor gets in. check out the FI section, they have a stock bottom end sticky.

although, you could always wait and buy things in chunks. wait until xmas, and the sponsors have some greattt deals, not that there arent good sales the rest of the eyar, but they have some VERY tasty offers and you could save your self some good coin to redirect at other parts of the project.

i wont mention my love of a big turbo setup though......wait, damnit
Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
C6Z, cam, ported heads and intake should "keep up"

its also nice to see someone that knows how much a FI build will cost.

anyways, i think the order you have now is fine. personally, id only want to have tthe car down once, but MAYBE twice isnt bad. 317s are cheap. throw some springs in 'em with the blower and stay on relatively low boost and you should be good until the motor gets in. check out the FI section, they have a stock bottom end sticky.

although, you could always wait and buy things in chunks. wait until xmas, and the sponsors have some greattt deals, not that there arent good sales the rest of the eyar, but they have some VERY tasty offers and you could save your self some good coin to redirect at other parts of the project.

i wont mention my love of a big turbo setup though......wait, damnit
Believe me, I thought long and hard about doing a big *** turbo, but I am just not mechanically proficient enough to do the install. For sure, my next car will be turbo, either single or twins, but for now, a massive procharger will suffice

Also, are you saying the girlfriend's vette will keep up with my setup I was looking to put down around 850ish to the wheels