General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Order of modding

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Order of modding

Alright, so I'm planning a procharger build within the next year or so, all I have to do is gather resources to get the ball rolling. My question to my fellow members is this, should I do a massive all out build with everything at once, or maybe do a transmission here, a rear end there, make the stroker here, etc...

To-Do list:
4l80e and stall
12 bolt
F1a procharger kit (blower, piping, cam, etc.)
Fuel system to handle 850 rwhp
Meth injection kit
408 stroker (AFR heads)
CCW SP510s (Black) 18x9.5 fronts, 18x11 rears (fuggin expensive,but that's how it goes).

Current car has everything running smooth. The weakest link in my setup that could unexpectedly fail is my 4L60e, so maybe it would be best to keep enough stashed away for the build to buy the 4L80e sooner rather than later?

Anyhow, open to opinions. Not real interested in changing my setup, just want to know the order of application. With the obvious exception that I wouldn't put the blower on the 408 until it's done and ready.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear and tranny should be the first two for sure.

Then I would gather parts until the rest can be done at once....I have seen many guys build a boost motor and drop it in and then something happens and they can't finish the project and end up with a "built" low compression poorly matched dog.....
Old 04-30-2010, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

I agree, rear and tranny first, with time get everything how you want it for the final install so its all done in one bang and you're set.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

I would do it little by little so you make sure its done right and do it one step at a time. Like you said just make sure the steps you progress with make sense. With that I mean I would not install the blower and engine before the fuel system, or the meth kit before the blower, etc. That is just how I would go about it.
It seems like the order you have them in with your original post would be a good order to go about it, except you could always do the wheels first or last depending on personal preference.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the replies guys, I have some direction in life lol.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

The whole reason why I say step by step is because ive seen people throw 15-20 K into a car and rush it and expect it to run 9's-10's right away, and end up with stuff breaking because they rushed it. Thats why I recommend on builds like this to take one thing at a time and make sure each mod is working correctly before moving on to something else
Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say do the rear for sure first if you plan on making some serious power like that. Do the weakest links and work your way up to the motor, then you post your results
Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got lucky and found a 12 bolt under my car but don't forget stuff like the torque arm, suspension etc..

Honestly I would do everything involving the motor at once unless your not sure what plan your taking, that way you only have to take **** apart once, get it tuned once etc...
Old 05-01-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Kinda new here too at this and wondering a little of the same. What about SFC's or stuff like that. Shouldn't that be done first as well as the rear. Seems to me you want to get the car tough and strong before you get the power to beat on it hard.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

My suspension is figured out for now. It's cutting low 1.6s, and that's good enough for me. As a sidenote, this car will likely never see the track, or if it does, just to put on a smoke show and get kicked out Motor stuff will be the largest amount of mods done at one point most likely. Get the machine work and rotating assembly/AFRs onto the motor, get a base tune to run under it's own power, then back into my garage for the blower.

The rear will go in within a month or two, so that's definitely my starting point. Once again, thanks a million guys
Old 05-01-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since your suspension is set, I would start with the most important part, MONEY!!! or a credit card.

Build the rear end and transmission like others suggested. Then I would get the fuel system figured out, build the motor to handle the boost, the procharger, then your expensive wheels.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

So do you already have SFC's and stuff then? Just curious for my mods.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
So do you already have SFC's and stuff then? Just curious for my mods.
I would not follow my example as far as suspension goes. I made the most budget minded suspension to get this thing to hook, and it works really well for how little I have into it.

But yes, SFCs should be one of your first mods. Then go through your other suspension components as you see fit. adjustable panhard bar if you are lowered especially.

Last edited by Gaunt; 05-19-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Gotcha. Yeah, I'm planning on some UMI 3 points and STB for first thing. Then go from there. I would like to keep this car with all bolt ons. Good luck with your mods.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OP- I'd do the same order as you posted.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Launching!

STB is for looks only
Old 05-03-2010, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Gotcha. Yeah, I'm planning on some UMI 3 points and STB for first thing. Then go from there. I would like to keep this car with all bolt ons. Good luck with your mods.
I had to really think hard for a second what STB meant, but then shock tower brace popped up in my head.

Yeah, definitely don't want to add weight to the front of the car, and it's doubtful you will see many real world turns where you are going to enjoy a shock tower brace, let alone notice it.

Also, thanks, I'm going to need all the luck in the world to wait patiently for resources and parts to come in

Originally Posted by PGUFF
STB is for looks only
Agreed, for the most part. At least to someone who daily drives the thing, and doesn't take turns at 50 mph.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

I keep hearing both on the STB. Sorry for Abreviation. It's looks only, doesn't make a difference, etc. Mine is not a daily driver. I do however like to take fast corners. I live in the country and we have quite a few sharp sweepers that are recommended at 25mph. 60mph is always fun through those. I'm also toying with the idea of getting into some sort of road racing(well, let's be honest, road course playing). But who knows. That could never happen.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Alright, slight update/question, but more of a question.

What if I milled the 317s down to 243 sized combustion chambers? Going from a 72cc to 62cc combustion chamber (if I remembered both of those chamber sizes correct, and if it's even possible, I think it is).

Would it be worth the effort to mill the heads and enjoy the bump in compression ratio/rwhp and replace things as they fail/see if it holds until the blower is ready to be purchased? I wouldn't do anything at all until I knew for sure I could cover both a rear end and transmission if they bit the dust.

I ask, as it gives me something to play with that really only costs a few hundred dollars, but potentially pays back in ***** and giggles while I wait out the time it takes to collect the money for the complete build. (Current fuel system will handle it, so I'm not worried about that).
Old 05-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Were you planning on changing heads when you do the blower anyways? If it was me I'd just save the money you would spend milling the heads and put it towards a wideband 02 or something useful long term.

That being said, with all the fast cars coming out, I see your concern. As always, blame Jarrod.

EDIT.....aaaannnnddd I just read up top where you said you were getting AFR heads. Like I said, I'd save the money for supercharger stuff. It is "only" a few hundred dollars, but you will need it....lol