General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Test drove a Challenger and a '10 SS today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man the local chevy dealer was good to me when i took out their '10 SS i pulled up in my truck the first time and the sales guy handed me his card and said if i want to take one out for a spin to let him know. Came back in the Vette but parked it outta sight and handed the guy his card and he said he was glad to see me back. He knew i was looking at a 2SS M6 car and handed me some keys and we went for a drive. I was surprised when we left the lot he asked why i didn't get on it lol He then asked what i was trading in and i told him that if i did strike up a deal it'd be my Vette. We got back and i took him out in the Vette for a quick spin to "talk numbers" haha. I told him they wanted too much for that SS and that i'd have to think about it. Not gonna do it until a Z28 car comes out
Old 05-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a fellow potential buyer that got rubbed the wrong way, I just figured I would have to give some input as well. My experience was while on leave from Iraq and possibly taking a mid 90's vette off a dealership's hands, that had been sitting there for the duration of my tour. I get out of a car that was bought at that dealership, and begin asking about the car, and it turns into, "what will it take to get a test drive?". The answer, a laugh and "an actual ability to pay for it". No lie. I toss him my debit card and tell him to ask my bank what they think of his last remark. His boss comes back and hands me my card back, and the keys. In return for their hard work and fun loving attitude, that Corvette came back with thousands of miles less tread on the rears and a simple "nah, that red interior is just too damn ugly for me, thanks anyway".
Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were in the market for a new pony car I would probably go for the Challenger. I'm a GM guy and while I like the new Camaro, and I concede the 5.0 Mustang is looking like the best as far as performance and handling, the badass looks of the Challenger alone would be too good to pass up.

Dealers really are the worst enemy of car enthusiasts. Salesmen don't sell a lot of performance cars like Vettes and Camaros so they don't know that much about them, and just have to BS their way through hoping you're just as uninformed as they are.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Latch
Dealers really are the worst enemy of car enthusiasts. Salesmen don't sell a ot of performance cars like Vettes and Camaros so they don't know that much about them, and just have to BS their way through hoping you're just as uninformed as they are.
"Uninformed car salesman" is redundant.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'd be hard pressed to find a saleman that's a car guy.

Paint color, monthly payments and trunk space is only the jargon these guys understand - you know, the same irrelevant bullshit you might discuss with your Aunt Betsy when she's asking your opinion about cars.

But the best way to buy a car is to do your research, and walk in with the money. Don't even talk about the car because listening to these guys is just too annoying.

As far as the new cars go, I would buy a Camaro just because I've always been a GM guy. But the Challenger is best looking of the new 3. By far.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mkelcy
"Uninformed car salesman" is redundant.
This gave me my first laugh this morning.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Latch
If I were in the market for a new pony car I would probably go for the Challenger. I'm a GM guy and while I like the new Camaro, and I concede the 5.0 Mustang is looking like the best as far as performance and handling, the badass looks of the Challenger alone would be too good to pass up.
In my eyes there are only two pony cars in that statement. The Camaro and Mustang. Challengers have always and now still are Muscle Cars. BIG and HEAVY. At least this is the way I was tought about cars.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

If anyone's GM shopping in the southeast, throw a PM to slt200mph

Steve's a Chevy salesman that drives a cammed 2000 Z28, and will put you in the car you want . Best no-bull salesman around
Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
In my eyes there are only two pony cars in that statement. The Camaro and Mustang. Challengers have always and now still are Muscle Cars. BIG and HEAVY. At least this is the way I was tought about cars.
I don't believe so. The Challenger has always been a traditional pony car; the Charger and the Coronet fill Dodge's "muscle car" niche. It could be argued today, however, that the Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro are the only true muscle cars left.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...finition.shtml
Old 05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Nope the Challenger WAS a traditional pony car when it was released. Though it was on the large side, it was still small enough to be considered a pony car. I mean the original Challenger was smaller and lighter than our fourth gens.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
i would have hit the traction control switch and LAUNCHED that 2010 SS down that 30mph road to at least 60mph. if some idiot car salesman wasted that much of my time and then expected to sell a 400+hp muscle car on a 30mph road around a mall parking lot, he deserves to **** his pants.
This is why they don't let people test drive $35k cars with 400+HP.

You don't need to beat on the car & burn the tires to decide whether or not you want to buy it.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

I guess I was misinformed. Always thought the Old Challenger was pretty heavy. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NBM.Z28™

You don't need to beat on the car & burn the tires to decide whether or not you want to buy it.
I think you need to . This is a PERFORMANCE oriented website. Not many people here would buy a $35k car and not see EXACTLY how it performs. Who would want a 2010 when there stock 4th gen will out run it, out handle it, and is already paid off?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Bronx Bull, I kinda like that Challenger.

Don't know why. I normally hate purple cars.

Thanks for the test drive impressions.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya if I was in the market it would be between the Challanger and Camaro, but the z/28 will be out right when I am out of school, sooooooo being a GM guy if its s/c'ed its mine! Personally I cant stand the mustangs or there owners, thats probably why i will never own one, I would feel like the worlds biggest hypocrite.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Launching!

I've been to 2 of the dealers here, mainly just browsing and checking out the '10 SS's. Not one has gave me and trouble, I was in my 99 Z both times and the sales men were extremely nice and asking about my car and what was all done to it. The 1st sales man was an older chubby guy who fell in love with my Z and was offering 9k before he had even gotten close. I laughed and said he would be nuts to pay that for a 210k mile car, he chuckled and said he always liked the f-body style and the red & black z's. We disscussed the White and orange SS that was sitting in his lot and he told me to pop the hood, check out the motor, sit in it and if I wanted to take a spin then he would get the keys while I locked up my car, stupidly I declined and told him I had to be somewhere (which I did but it was just my girlfreinds house haha). Wish I would of took the test drive, the salesman was pretty cool...they sold the Car that weekend and I always see it sitting in front of an apartment. Never on the road.

The 2nd dealer was the chevy dealer, there was a Green Synergy '10 Camaro and another white and orange SS out front and I just stopped to look, I thought the dealer was closed but I was wrong and the salesman came out and started talking about my car and asked if I wanted to trade in, I told him I was just looking and kinda curious about the new camaros. Not hesitating he says "come inside, I wanna show you something", I go in with him and bam there's a black SS, I'm not gonna lie...it was sexy. He was going on about the body lines and how good they look in a single tone paint job. He was cool and told me too check out the interior and if I wanted to go for a spin, let him know, a lady told him he had a call so he went to answer it and then another salesman came over and said "what are you doing?", as I was sitting in the front seat getting a feel for the car. I told him Rick was helping me and the salesman persisted to bug me saying that these cars weren't just for anyone, such as the OP said about the salesman at the chevy dealer he went too. I got out and asked where Rick was and he had to run out back. I got kinda pissy about this douche bugging me and then he says, "what dumbass left that crappy red car out front, running?" I looked at him and said "this is a nice car but I'm gonna wait for the new Z28's, maybe one to match my 99". I started walking out the doors and he was still talking about the black SS, I turned around and told him that I would get my dumbass and crappy car off the lot, I didnt want it too make him look like a bad salesman.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

I didn't know so many thought the new challenger looked good. I just don't see it. And the handling is not that great. Power is good what you get going, to much traction control crap. Each there own.
Back to dealers. I had a dealer tell me on a test drive, that if I didn't like this car that maybe I should go look for a car at walmart. My wife was back at the dealer I texted her and told her to come get me. Politely got out of the test car with keys and got in my car and went to lunch. Left salesman, no cell phone by himself 5 miles from dealership. Brought keys back to manager, salesman still not there.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brapril714
I had a dealer tell me on a test drive, that if I didn't like this car that maybe I should go look for a car at walmart. My wife was back at the dealer I texted her and told her to come get me. Politely got out of the test car with keys and got in my car and went to lunch. Left salesman, no cell phone by himself 5 miles from dealership. Brought keys back to manager, salesman still not there.
That is ******* EPIC! lmao
Old 05-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Teching In

The dealer I bough my TA from was awesome. I walked into the dealership and he threw me the keys. Me being 17 I think I was more scared driving that car than he was... especially in rush hour traffic.

Later talking to him he told me that his first car was a 70 trans am. After asking him some questions about the car and knowing he was into pony cars I felt quite comfortable buying.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by NBM.Z28™

since when does LAUNCHING a car involve burning the tires? hauling *** from a dead stop with stock tires/tune is not beating on that car. you must not know much about these cars. welcome to the site and good luck on your own car sale.