General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Handling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I find that hard to believe..........
i believe it. mostly because "better handling" is subjective.
for the most part, even it seemed like wherever i looked, everyone was saying camaros handled better than mustangs (at least back in the early 2000's), i liked the way stock base model mustangs felt at the limit better than stock base model fbodies.

my ss did handle OK in stock form with the fatter (stock) sway bars compared to the previous camaro i had - those hollow sway bars made a pretty big difference. at 42k miles, the decarbon shocks were doing as well as they ever could, but were definitely the weak link when trying to push the car.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I've always just been into straight-line acceleration. Call me oldschool, but its never really been my thing to haul *** around a bend. I suppose it might be different if I had a car that was built to do so...

Maybe if it was 1k lbs lighter and handled like it was on rails...
Old 05-04-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
Ever driven one? I have and I agree with his statement. Very poor handling cars. Sloppy is more like it. Sad, but nothing to compete with so it didn't need to.

Any and every car has its pro's and con's. My TA when I got it had just over 70k on it and it was still good. I have upgraded since then and now it is amazing! Well...except the worn rod ends....
Yes I have. My brother in law has a 98 Cobra I have driven it many times. Nice driving well balanced car and better than mine stock. I have also driven a 04 Cobra that I would say is as good or slightly better handling than than my suspension modded T/A (see sig). The last Stang I drove was an 08 GT and I would say it easily handled better and was more predictable than my stock T/A was but will not stick with my car in it's present form.

I realize this is somewhat subjective but I would like to see some slalom times and and skidpad #'s for each car....
Old 05-04-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't imagine a good ride with old and worn out ****...
Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
I couldn't imagine a good ride with old and worn out ****...
My stock suspension 2000 WS6 has around 120k and rides pretty damn good compared to other fbodies I've been in with less miles.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zamora7
My stock suspension 2000 WS6 has around 120k and rides pretty damn good compared to other fbodies I've been in with less miles.
I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean lol? Maybe your f-body friends have setups with QA1's and eibach sportslines...
Old 05-05-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by zamora7
Originally Posted by squirts11
I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean lol? Maybe your f-body friends have setups with QA1's and eibach sportslines...
Yeah. It must be what he means. My 98 v6 firebird handles like a god with stock springs and shocks with upgraded front/rear sway bars and a strut tower brace that has a 120k miles and handles better than my 01 z with 35k miles with eibach springs and bilstein shocks.

Seriously, I can take exit 36 at 72-74 mph with the rear end kicking out (oversteer) in my firebird and can't even take the same corner at 65 in my camaro without a little understeer. I feel like I'm ganna run into the wall.

BUT, I have put over 60k miles on my firebird and less than 2k miles on my camaro. So I'm a hell of a lot more comfortable in my firebird than I am in my camaro.