General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

H/C vs STROKER?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question H/C vs STROKER?

I have been searching and cant find anything to help me out. I'm gonna do heads and cam but was debating on forging the bottom end for spray. Then i started thinking about a 408 stroker. I would like to know the cost difference between the two and the benefit of the stroker over a forged 346. Also what are the average numbers for the both of them. all sugesstions and opinons are appreciated.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 408 will have more "room to grow" per say down the road being that it has more cubes. More cubes is always better.

Its hard to say a power # on either b/c of so many different H/C choices out there and what exectly your building the motor to do.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

A forged 346+spray will have about the same cost as a 408 stroker. From what I've seen, the normal H/C setup will see an average of 400-430rwhp depending on your drivetrain, tune, cam, bolt ons, etc. With the right spray setup, you could see well over 500. But the disadvantage to nitrous is: a bad resell value, risk of blowing the motor, cost and maintence of the system, etc. A 408 will see an average of 460rwhp+ depending on the same varibles, but the real advantage of a stroker is torque, and a lot of it. Remeber, there's no replacement for displacement. If I were you, I would go stroker.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recommend using a stock cam and heads on a stroker short block so if you get a stroker motor, plan on spending money for heads and cam as well so the price difference will be the price of the shortblock.

Whether to do the stroker depends on your budget and your power goals. It's a personal choice after that. You must first understand yourself and really be in touch with who you are as a man to make the decision on whether you want a stroker motor or not. When you deliberate over these types of choices in life it is important to keep perspective and what are priorities in your life today as well as the future. Consider your own happiness as well as those around you. You are about to undergo in a potentially ongoing endeavor, a mental, spiritual, emotional quest if you will, to lead you to a life altering decision. You may have to take some time off work in order to deliberate and meditate in peace. Take a trip into the forest for a few days and live on your wits and physical speed/survival instincts while pontificating the torque differences and piston speed compromises. Let the specification of each build flow through your body. The answer will shine in your mind and beat in your heart and you will know. Make your way back to the carbon-ated camshaft world and empty your wallet. By now you will have realized that money is of no importance to who you are in the world, your true and universal identity. But the engine in your car, however, is a different story altogether.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Launching!

^^Hahaha.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Genius, Higgs. Just Genius.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Well i have my cam selected, Im going with the fms F-14 232"/234" 646"/612". So if its the same price i will get way more power from the forged 346 w/spray But how much less tq will i have. I dont see a risk of blowing the motor if its forged and tuned right. Also i want it to stay on pump gas ofcourse. So i guess i need to stay in the 10-11.5:1 CR range. The money dosent matter i just want the most out of my money
Old 05-07-2010, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't pick a cam until you know what you're going to do for a block. Reason being that bigger displacement means more air. A large cam in a 346 is going to be timid in a 408. There is no sense in going big on the shortblock only to resrict it with a cam that won't take advantage.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Higgs you forgot to call him Grasshopper.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I don't recommend using a stock cam and heads on a stroker short block so if you get a stroker motor, plan on spending money for heads and cam as well so the price difference will be the price of the shortblock.

Whether to do the stroker depends on your budget and your power goals. It's a personal choice after that. You must first understand yourself and really be in touch with who you are as a man to make the decision on whether you want a stroker motor or not. When you deliberate over these types of choices in life it is important to keep perspective and what are priorities in your life today as well as the future. Consider your own happiness as well as those around you. You are about to undergo in a potentially ongoing endeavor, a mental, spiritual, emotional quest if you will, to lead you to a life altering decision. You may have to take some time off work in order to deliberate and meditate in peace. Take a trip into the forest for a few days and live on your wits and physical speed/survival instincts while pontificating the torque differences and piston speed compromises. Let the specification of each build flow through your body. The answer will shine in your mind and beat in your heart and you will know. Make your way back to the carbon-ated camshaft world and empty your wallet. By now you will have realized that money is of no importance to who you are in the world, your true and universal identity. But the engine in your car, however, is a different story altogether.
I'm torn. Not sure whether I should be applauding or thinking "WTF"...
Old 05-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Teching In

That was some funny stuff
Old 05-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't recommend using a stock cam and heads on a stroker short block...
Makes me want to rally to put in a Zen Garden at my local track
Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Higgs comment is so funny because its true, for those that don't have 50k to just blow on there car, stroker or stock cube is a huge decision. Here is my personal experience once you deicide to stroke, you have to keep going more and more to make use of your money, if you just want a fun street car, and occasional track use, 346 and spray, if you want race car with a little street use, go 408
Old 05-08-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL amazing.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just comes down too how much of a man you are. If you're a badass, Marlboro smokin, Sam Adams drinking, woman beating, baby seal clubbing beast of a mother ******, then you need more cubes. That's all there is to it.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Talking

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
It just comes down too how much of a man you are. If you're a badass, Marlboro smokin, Sam Adams drinking, woman beating, baby seal clubbing beast of a mother ******, then you need more cubes. That's all there is to it.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Just out of curiosity whats a big cam for a 408?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
There are some funny *** quotes in this thread.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

i believe this point has already been made but here is my opinion.
if you are going to do a H/C swap and are also planning on forging the bottom end ( crank rods and pistons) anyway, go ahead and stroke it.
even if you dont want to fool with finding a good 6.0L core for a 408 or bigger, the cost for a stock cubed forged rotating assy is about the same as a stroker.
i am a firm believer in do it right the first time. there will always be a what if in the back of your mind if you do not go for a big stroker now. as stated above there will be room to grow in to it with different H/C/I packages down the road with a stroker.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Anybody got some close the exact $ amounts for a 408 if i do everything myself. I have all the tools that i will need at my father inlaws shop

Quick Reply: H/C vs STROKER?