General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Removing plastic piece around gas cap...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing plastic piece around gas cap...

Why isn't it coming off, i removed the two screws that are holding it and it seems to be stuck somewhere at the top right hand corner but there are no bolts holding it down.....

Anyone remove this before?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

I think their was one that you needed to get at by removing the rear part of the plastic wheel well. I can't remember though.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,220 Posts

It's a bit tricky the first time, there is a lip built into the plastic piece on that corner that grabs the edge of the metal quarter panel. You have to move the plastic piece down and away (as far as you can) from that upper right hand edge. With a little fiddling it'll pop off, and after that it'll all make sense. First time took me quite a while of messing with it, now I can hit the angle just right and pop it off it about 1 second.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It's a bit tricky the first time, there is a lip built into the plastic piece on that corner that grabs the edge of the metal quarter panel. You have to move the plastic piece down and away (as far as you can) from that upper right hand edge. With a little fiddling it'll pop off, and after that it'll all make sense. First time took me quite a while of messing with it, now I can hit the angle just right and pop it off it about 1 second.
Why did I know that you where going to chime in RPM? I'm removing it to clean up the gunk under there+put some rust inhibitor. So all I have to do is move the plastic piece as far down as I can...nothing that requires me removing the inner plastic fender to get to.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker
Why did I know that you where going to chime in RPM? I'm removing it to clean up the gunk under there+put some rust inhibitor. So all I have to do is move the plastic piece as far down as I can...nothing that requires me removing the inner plastic fender to get to.
LOL.

Yep, there is no need at all to remove the inner lining to get that piece out. You want to push it down as far as you can on the opposite edge where that lip is (so push down on the lower left section), and while doing so you also push down then pull out on the edge of the upper right hand section. It's really just a matter of fiddling with it till it pops out, but those directions should help, and once you get it the first time it's super easy in the future.

Quick Reply: Removing plastic piece around gas cap...