General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Trans Am/Camaro in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A stockish fbody can do ok in the snow as long as you consider what it is. A high horsepower rear wheel drive car, drive it with that in mind and you can do fine. Hence, turning while taking your foot off the gas and prep twice as far away for stopping, etc...(driving like a granny). I have driven my 99 TA when it was closer to stock form in the 6+ inches many times with 16" ZR tires and stock 3.42 gears, but not anymore. It took me 20 minutes to drive 300 yards with the 99 TA now; 500+rwhp, a puck clutch with 4.10s is horrible. The more mods you end up doing will make drivability that much worse.

You guys are lucky, they don't salt here in Kodiak Alaska.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Minnesota and my Camaro has seen every single winter. My car now has 155,000 miles and has been holding up great, the only rust on the body at all is in the lower corners of the doors and that is just surface rust. The key is good tires and just pay attention when you are driving. With my commute in the Twin Cities the traffice won't let you get over 15 miles per hour anyway so it doesn't matter what you drive.

However I would never consider my car anything other then a daily driver and with the miles I put on it I can't consider dumping a lot into it so even now I am looking for a Trans Am to be the project car I need.

If you just want a fun daily driver a F-body can handle just about any weather, but if you want a car you can work on and slowly improve get a beater.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess that's where the issue comes for me - I drive 55 miles one way to work. If I had a shorter commute it wouldn't bother me so much.

I know new tires would help, I still have tread left but they do have 43k of wear on them now.

Eh, I'm trying to fix up the car and make it look nice (and perform too ) So with all that in mind once it is done I wouldn't want to drive it in the winter at all.

Quick Reply: Trans Am/Camaro in snow?