General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

SS on the Autobahn

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the gearing is the issue. You go down to a 3.42 and that should buy you an extra 10+ mph -- it certainly sounds like you have the power to support more.

Depending on the tire you're running, the difference between a 3.73 M6 and a 3.42 M6 at 5,800 rpm is 160 mph vs. 175 mph.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something is up...i have a 99 z28 stock auto w/2.73s and a cutout only. I've been to 140 mph and it wasn't that hard to get there. Your talking around 150 more wheel horsepower lower geared and being a stick... defiantly should be up there pretty good. Hell I was in a 04 GTO that had a ProCharger pushing a little less than 500 to the wheels and we hit over 155 mph in it. Much heavier and less aero dynamic car too.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U should have no problem going faster.I have had my 10 going 162mph in 4th gear and still had a little more to go in 4th and it has shitty aerodynamics.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
Maybe I'm a *****, but I think I would be shitting myself at 150 in this car...
I was not comfortable above 140 with a stock suspension. The front end got really light feeling. Mods in sig really made the car feel better at 140+
Old 05-20-2010, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kidreno_21
I've got my SS in Germany with me and after much talking to and learning from other car guys here, I have gotten out on the autobahn and opened her all the way up. After several runs, a change from all season tires to Kumho summer tires, with a passenger and without, full tank of fuel and less than half, air conditioning on and off, I am unable to get my SS beyond 160mph.

At 150, I have noticed an increase of wind noise on the windshield, though does not happen all the time. I think an issue may be the hood scoop, or at least part of the issue. My hood is no longer functional, I have the intake redirected to come from the bottom of the car, right in front of the radiator. This means that I would be able to switch hoods (SS to Z28, would that work?) and, hopefully, need no further modifications.

Please, if you are going to tell me that it is unsafe or stupid or whatever to drive at that speed, please realize that I have had my vehicle inspected by Germans who work on and inspect high performance autos, that I don't drive that fast by other autos, I have taken graduate level safety courses and I live and breathe safety (thank you US Army Command Safety courses).

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to allow me to go faster (without the obvious of power adders)? My mods are listed below, and I have 485 rwhp and 470ish rwtq. I don't wish to modify the engine any further. And my brakes are straight from Sam Strano, the pads and rotors, and I am able to slow or stop in a hurry.

Thanks for your help. I hope to get some vids posted soon. Although, it does get old (and tiring) driving long distances at 140 for a sustained period, so I can't promise the vids will be too exciting.

Who tuned your car?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...r-2000-ss.html

The stock limiter is 160mph, my guess is it's still there...your car should be able to do well over 160 with your HP/TQ
Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I was not comfortable above 140 with a stock suspension. The front end got really light feeling. Mods in sig really made the car feel better at 140+
I would think that before making a high speed run (140+) you'd want to really check out your car, tires, etc. Road conditions and prevailing wind needs to be accounted for too. Aerodynamics can play a big part in the performance equation. Loosing control at those speeds is not hard to do.

The Autobahn sounds like a fun drive. I've read other posts on the board were F-body owners have taken their machines to Bonneville to wind out their cars.

Cool!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Banned

I'm with the rest saying its the gearing. I buried the speedo fairly easy in 5th.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:38 AM
Teching In

Any vettes got time on the bahn
Old 05-21-2010, 02:51 AM
On The Tree

Just got to the office. Here it goes...

Originally Posted by Juicy J
There is a thread in the roadracing section that discusses this in detail. Aero, tires, alignment, brakes, etc. are discussed in detailed specifically for high speed Autobahn driving.

Here is a link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-raci...n-driving.html

Enjoy!

I remember this thread. I'll have to look it up again. My alignment was done in the states (UMI Road Race K-Member). The guy put a 'race style' alignment on it. He knew I was taking it to Germany.

Originally Posted by TransAmatt99
Sounds exciting! I wonder how fast my car would go lol....
You could try taking off the mirrors that would reduce alot of drag, also try to seal up all the gaps around the front end. Have fun.
Can't loose the mirrors. Must be driveable. It is my DD. And yes. I get lots of looks. Older folks look at me with disgust (kinda loud exhaust), but younger people (and the ladies) seem to smile and like it. Oh, my neighbors don't like me.

Originally Posted by TAtoad
how fast do you go in 5th? i'm assuming your top speed was in 5th, not 6th. do you run the entire RPM range? or will it only go up to a certain rpm?
I can go from 50mph in sixth, yes sixth gear, all the way to 160mph with no hesitation. Sure it takes longer, but it is getting old shifting all the time. Fifth takes me to top speed, and shifting to sixth I do not loose any speed. I don't really pay too much attention to the rpm's, I try to watch the road.

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
I have my 02 Z28 over here in Germany as well I can hit about 160+/- in 5th but as soon as I hit redline and go into 6th it would take so long to get to much faster.

EDIT: Also I will take your SS hood of your hands and give you my Z28 in exchange...he he he
See above.

Originally Posted by SSCamaro2000
I think the 3.73 might hurt you. I dont have near the rwhp you do and i was able to break 160 in the standing mile at the Texas Mile last year.....
3.73s, I am pretty sure they're not hurting me. But thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
I"m not sure how fast mine goes because speedo stops at like 155. i would just try sealing up the front end and sealing the hood scoop. that should help.

lets see some videos though!!!!!!
I just need to get a camera man that doesn't scare easily. It sure is fun driving here. The culture seems to really be in tune with driving.

You should break 160 pretty easy at your power so somethings up.... I did 174.6 GPS verified one night before the GF told me to back out..... Hell I broke 150 lid/catback only pretty soon after I got the car....
I guess I'll need to get a gps. Maybe that is the issue.

Originally Posted by armymp1983
Also jump on www.fbodyeurope.org i am stationed in Heidelberg myself with a 2000 T/A. same screen name on both sites send me a message.

Harley

Heidelburg. The guy I replaced is now the commander of the EMAT there. I took his old company. I need to get down there to visit him. PM me your #, maybe we can hit the autobahn.

I'll take a look at that site. I think I am already a member, but it has been a while.

Originally Posted by thatguy383
i think gearing is probably a big deal, you should be able to spin more rpms in 5th to make up for it(with your crank rods etc vs. mine) though so I wonder what else is affecting it...
All internals for my short block (from Scoggin' Dickey *plug*) are Compstar. This thing is solid. Rev limiter is set at 6700, tuned by Sean at LG Motorsports. Idles at 900, I shift at 1800 (in town), power curve hits at 3200ish and pulls like a raped ape until Sir Isaac Newton says to stop.

Thanks everyone for the input. The weather this weekend looks nice enough to hit the road. Maybe I can get some vids for you all.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:26 AM
On The Tree

I don't get that 'light' or 'floating' feel while driving at speed. The Koni 4/4's are amazing. I have the Strano springs, but they are not installed, so I am running the stock springs. The minimum ride hight clearance is 11 cm, and with the stock springs, I am at 11.1 cm, with the left header being the lowest point of the car. I could install the Strano springs, but with parking here, it just is not feasible. For those that don't know, parking in town is, more often than not, half on a curb, half on the street. And driving onto the military installations, with the gates and speed bumps, I would probably rip off or destroy something under the car.

BTW, my Blazer will be here soon, a week or two. It will then become my DD. With that in mind, would you guys switch to the Strano springs? Would lowering the car bring my top end speed up?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 AM
Teching In

SUB SCRIBED, this is a great read and i'm dying to hear the results. Good luck man
Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 AM
10 Second Club

I make a little less power than you claim you make and have went 183mph in my auto and she was still pulling when I let out. Scared the **** out of me!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by red1999z28
Who tuned your car?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...r-2000-ss.html

The stock limiter is 160mph, my guess is it's still there...your car should be able to do well over 160 with your HP/TQ
I just read the link you posted. Sounds like the limiter is still there. In order for me to change this, will I need to get a copy of HP Tuners and fix it, or can anyone with a copy do this? Will it mess with my tune? I apologize for the juvenile questions, but I really know nothing about tuning.

Kind of on the same topic: does anyone have a recommendation for where to buy a copy of HP Tuners? What all do I need to get?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't get that 'light' or 'floating' feel while driving at speed. The Koni 4/4's are amazing. I have the Strano springs, but they are not installed, so I am running the stock springs. The minimum ride hight clearance is 11 cm, and with the stock springs, I am at 11.1 cm, with the left header being the lowest point of the car. I could install the Strano springs, but with parking here, it just is not feasible. For those that don't know, parking in town is, more often than not, half on a curb, half on the street. And driving onto the military installations, with the gates and speed bumps, I would probably rip off or destroy something under the car.

BTW, my Blazer will be here soon, a week or two. It will then become my DD. With that in mind, would you guys switch to the Strano springs? Would lowering the car bring my top end speed up?

Thanks.
You don't get that light feeling because you have the Koni's on there. What I described was a bone stock suspension with 60,000 mile on the original "DeCrappy" shocks. My Koni's, Strano springs, Strano swaybars & UMI PHB all went on at the same time and literally made it feel like a new car. My springs are not that much of an issue for me. You adjust to it by going over speed bumps or going up or down steep inclines at an angle. The curb issue I have no advice to give. If you you want to improve your handling more w/o giving up any ground clearance get a set of 35mm/22mm swaybars next. The big advantage of the Strano bars is they are hollow (light) and thus do not increase the unsprung weight like other 35/22 bars.....Also don't forget if you install the springs you will need an adjustable PHB to center the rear or your tires will prolly scrape. I have a double rod ended UMI PHB and highly recommend it. Well made and it is still quiet after 40k.

I would think the lower you go you will decrease the drag coefficient but it would be so minimal at 1.25" drop that it would not be noticeable.....
Old 05-23-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After reading this thread on suspension and what not I got jealous because I'm still on stock springs and stock front struts and new rear shocks my tq arm is bmr my trailing arms are bmr and my sfc's are umi I also have a bmr cross member.....so yeah I'm probabaly gonna put more money into my suspension.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Thanks.
If youre at stock ride height you are catching alot of wind under your car. Even though fbodys have a pretty low drag co-effecient, at that speed its going to hit a brick wall without any sort of aero modification. Once you lower it you should expect some sort of increase in MPH. Otherwise you should be well over 160 with your power numbers as everyone else said.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

don't know what the issue is cause when my car was bone stone 98 Z28 with only a K@N air filter i was clocked at 178mph on the local bypass
Old 05-24-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

something doesn't seem right. you should be doing alot more with that much horsepower. i've had my car at 155 before and i was still gaining at a steady pace
Old 05-24-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm telling you what it is regardless of weither or not you have a bird or a z its that god for saken parachute rear end LOL!
Old 05-28-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should break 160 pretty easy at your power so somethings up.... I did 174.6 GPS verified one night before the GF told me to back out..... Hell I broke 150 lid/catback only pretty soon after I got the car....
I'm thinking something is wrong also. I pegged the speedo probably doing roughly 160 to 165 in my car which was pretty much bone stock at the time, and the WS6 is probably less aerodynamic than an SS.

edit: looks like it's the limiter. Anyone with hptuners can remove it.

Last edited by Dal1as; 05-28-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: SS on the Autobahn