General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Diesel Destroyer

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Diesel Destroyer

I don't know about anyone else but I'm tired of people ranting and raving about how fast and how much smoke their diesel blows. I've heard outragous statements from idiots from as little as: "Well my truck smokes out the exhaust and women like it", in which I chime in; "Yea? I make smoke with my tires....women like that too", all the way to where a guy told me my Trans Am (running 12.8 1/4th at the time) would lose to his chipped, stacked, blah blah blah diesel.

I know alot of guys have them to tow their cars to, and from the track. That's understandable. Diesels are towing machines and they do that very well. But they are far from being a performance engine. Without a turbo a diesel is USELESS. If GM wanted to make a more efficient truck turbo a gas rig. A 5.3 would be alot more of a powerhouse and more useful with forced induction! As is any LSX based engine.

This being said I want to build the ultimate Diesel Destroyer. I have an 03 Chevrolet 1/2 ton extended cab 4x4. I will be buying cheap parts to make it fast. Mainly used stuff off the forums because I have a limited budget. I kinda have a guideline and would love input from anyone about what I could do better on and so on and so forth.

1. It's a 5.3 truck... I figured on buying a used 6liter iron block from a salvageyard and immediatly taking the pistons and rods out, replacing them with forged, low compression pistons. The crank should be able to handle quite a bit of power correct?

2. L92 heads and intake. Cheap and very good numbers.

3. Turbo grind cam, and used turbo and intercooler.

4. Most of the work being done myself or with my GM certified mechanic buddy. Built plenty of engines in his past and I know he can build a stout performer.

5. Built Trans with a 2800stall (I wanna keep it Daily Driver friendly....but I may go for a higher stall if the gains are worth it)

What do y'all think I can expect to shell out money wise?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

A few of my friends are like that... One has a tuned/exhaust/CAI duramax and thinks he'll smoke me. Another has a lifted cummins.

Great trucks... But theyre not the fastest thing in the planet!

You're prob. looking at spending a few grand eitherway. If you're on a budget, buy as many used parts as possible. Junk yards will be your friend!
Old 05-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Teching In

It I wanted to go all out I could build a 454LSX and force induce it...but cash is tight and if my business takes off I'll look into doing a no-expense spared build. And it will be wicked!!! Then I'll drop it in a pullin truck and beat em at that game too so they have less n less ground to stand on.

It's a chip on my shoulder... Everyone been sinking $15000 on a diesel thinking they are performance vehicles. Blowing smoke in the windows of my trans am when I had it meant I went around you with my tires lit up. Smoke me I smoke you right?

I honestly have a pure hatred for them.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:01 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Exclamation

Your username and password are the same over there.

~ Craig