General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How Much Labor To...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How Much Labor To...

How much labor do you think a shop would charge to pull a motor transmission drive shaft and fuel tank out of a ls1 trans am

some guy wants me to do this for him because i guess he wrecked his car so i wanted to know how much to charge him

thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

call a few shops and ask how much they would charge then charge him a fraction of that.

i'm assuming you're not a certified mechanic?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

No im not ive done my share of motor swaps engine rebuilds etc but never worked at a shop doing it ....

if anyone else has a idea of the top of their head let me know otherwise ill make some phone calls
Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

x2
I'd give him a good deal since its wrecked and have him hook you up with some parts you might need/want.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Personally I would probly charge somewhere south of 250 dollars.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

I would think that a shop would charge a day or two worth of work. One day to pull the engine and trans out, and another day to pull the fuel tank out. Because from what I hear you have to drop the rear end to get the tank out. Now if the cars wrecked and there is no plan to put the engine back in you can probable take it out a lot quicker and depending on where the car was hit if it was wrecked that might effect how smoothly the process will go
Old 05-24-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Depends how long it takes you...
Old 05-24-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont even have a F-body anymore all i have a is a 1966 El Camino now if he wants to pull the motor trans and whatever else and give me the motor then id do it for free =)

16 hours of labor at $60 dollars a hour comes out to be $960
Old 05-24-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

i told the guy i would do it for 650 since i have to bring the cherry picker jacks and stands tools air compressor etc

he said he would be in touch with me after he figures out where he is going to keep the parts so i guess well see what happens thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

You're charging $40 an hour and you're not even certified? Yikes. If I were you I wouldn't be expecting a call back..$200-300 sounded about right.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PACKERSz28Camaro
You're charging $40 an hour and you're not even certified? Yikes. If I were you I wouldn't be expecting a call back..$200-300 sounded about right.
You want him to do that labor for 12.50 an hour? It's not even worth the effort for that little. If he doesn't like the price he can go elsewhere and pay more. I thought 650 was a great price! Saves the guy some money and makes it worth the time.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
You want him to do that labor for 12.50 an hour? It's not even worth the effort for that little. If he doesn't like the price he can go elsewhere and pay more. I thought 650 was a great price! Saves the guy some money and makes it worth the time.
Couldnt agree more, not to mention if its wrecked its probable that hes gonna run into problems that will be a pain in the a**. I would have said an even 500 and said if i run into problems i may have to charge a little bit more.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

How is $12.50/hour not worth it? No jobs I ever had when I was younger, with no advanced education paid more than $9.00. He doesn't have certification..He didn't go to automotive school..He shouldn't make just as much as a person who went to auto school, right?

If that guy calls around, he will get a much lower quote than $650 guaranteed.

Fck, i've heard my buddies talking about how they called up guys on craiglist w/certification and had labor done at $25-30/hour. If I was tight on money and wanted to pay someone to pull out and engine/trans w/o certification, I would need to have a cheap enough quote that it would be worth it. It's a huge risk..
Old 05-25-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

You also have to realize the OP is going to the guy. It will be a convenience to the car owner because he can have it pulled wherever he wants and won't have it sitting at a shop. I would say around 500 if you don't know the guy but if its a friend then like 200 bucks or whatever he wants to give.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Couldnt agree more, not to mention if its wrecked its probable that hes gonna run into problems that will be a pain in the a**. I would have said an even 500 and said if i run into problems i may have to charge a little bit more.
yea, but its also alot easier to pull parts off a wrecked car when you know they the motor is not going back in the car. You can cut coolant hoses and not keep track of every bolt you pull off to make the process go a lot faster. Even with that not sure if its a full 16 hr job, but def. at least 8-10 depending how experienced the mechanic is.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PACKERSz28Camaro
How is $12.50/hour not worth it? No jobs I ever had when I was younger, with no advanced education paid more than $9.00. He doesn't have certification..He didn't go to automotive school..He shouldn't make just as much as a person who went to auto school, right?

If that guy calls around, he will get a much lower quote than $650 guaranteed.

Fck, i've heard my buddies talking about how they called up guys on craiglist w/certification and had labor done at $25-30/hour. If I was tight on money and wanted to pay someone to pull out and engine/trans w/o certification, I would need to have a cheap enough quote that it would be worth it. It's a huge risk..
When you were younger? Did you walk 10 miles a day to school? Uphill? In the snow? Barefoot? Hey if he can find a stranger on craigslist desperate for any work for cheaper, more power to him but it seems like he knows this guy and trusts his ability. I don't think you are in dire need of a certification to yank an engine/trans. Getting a cert is child's play anyway, it means nothing to me. The guy that helped me pull the engine on my GN 8 years ago wasn't certified.. still isn't.. and now he's the primary builder of a car that will at the end of this year or early next year take the IRS drag radial record.. and they built the car in the owner's garage. Some kid who just got his ASE cert isn't going to know wtf to do.

Bottom line, it's a piece of paper. A lot of shop owners and shop mechanics aren't certified either, should they be charging less than their 60/hr labor rates?
Old 05-26-2010, 01:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
yea, but its also alot easier to pull parts off a wrecked car when you know they the motor is not going back in the car. You can cut coolant hoses and not keep track of every bolt you pull off to make the process go a lot faster. Even with that not sure if its a full 16 hr job, but def. at least 8-10 depending how experienced the mechanic is.
That's not how it works though, that's why there are book labor values. If a mechanic is great at his craft and can finish a job in 12 hours the book says takes 20 hours, should he make less money because he's a good mechanic? On the flip side, give the same task to a new guy who has never done it before and it could take 25 hours. Should you be charged more because someone learned on your car and took longer?
Old 05-26-2010, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

That's not how it works though, that's why there are book labor values. If a mechanic is great at his craft and can finish a job in 12 hours the book says takes 20 hours, should he make less money because he's a good mechanic? On the flip side, give the same task to a new guy who has never done it before and it could take 25 hours. Should you be charged more because someone learned on your car and took longer?
No, I understand what your saying, I said that because it seemed after I commented that it would take a day or two he got 16 hours from my first comment. I was just saying that it could probable be less especially if there was no concern of putting it back together. If book time is 16 hours for the job and he can do it in 8 then I would charge 16 too.

I agree with you too on how a certification is just a piece of paper. I know several mechanics who work at shops and get new guys coming in with fancy degrees and certification but have no idea how to transfer their education into the real world. Obviously if the guy came to him then the guy feels that hes "certified" to perform the job successfully, so I would charge more then minimum wage since hes performing a service that not everyone can do, its a lot different then raking leaves
Old 05-26-2010, 02:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
No, I understand what your saying, I said that because it seemed after I commented that it would take a day or two he got 16 hours from my first comment. I was just saying that it could probable be less especially if there was no concern of putting it back together. If book time is 16 hours for the job and he can do it in 8 then I would charge 16 too.

I agree with you too on how a certification is just a piece of paper. I know several mechanics who work at shops and get new guys coming in with fancy degrees and certification but have no idea how to transfer their education into the real world. Obviously if the guy came to him then the guy feels that hes "certified" to perform the job successfully, so I would charge more then minimum wage since hes performing a service that not everyone can do, its a lot different then raking leaves
Old 05-26-2010, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

I wouldent do it for less than $500.

I've never pulled an LS1 out, but a T56 I can have out in under a half hour. You gotta drop the whole K member if your pulling the motor out the bottom. For the fuel tank the exhaust prolly has to be removed, but not sure if the rear does.